how in the hell are these people getting 900 calorie burns

Options

Replies

• Zomb1eMummy
    Zomb1eMummy Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I can get a pretty high burn during my workouts. I usually log abour 25% less though because I am unsure how accurate MFP is. But I know I am losing weight pretty steadily, so whatever I am doing is working.

I do Jillian Michaels DVDs and other circuit based workouts.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    I just finished a workout on my elliptical. I wore a chest strap.

I weigh 166 lbs (now)
    I am a 47 yr old male

Here are the numbers it just gave me
    Average heart rate: 138
    Strides: 8006
    Distance: 4.68 mi
    Calories burned: 610
    Time: 50 min

I also have a FitBit. I take it off when I run on my treadmill or use my elliptical and I only record 75% of my calories burned (per the machines) back on MFP. Should this be somewhat accurate?

I think it is probably close enough. Just based on my running a 10 minute mile = approx 100 calories and I weigh 145 lbs (female). Though when I'm on an elliptical, I still burn approx 100 calories per 10 minutes, but my heart rate is way higher than yours here (usually). I listen to thrash metal on the elliptical. That has something to do with it :)
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    It's at about 170. My heart rate for insanity goes up to over 180 and in 45 mins of that, I burn about 400 cals. And I work muchhhhhh harder
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    I burned 969 calories in 90 minutes of roller blading Saturday night. I wear a HRM so I know it's at least relatively accurate. I skate hard and my HR pretty much didn't drop below 160-170 the entire time.

i don't doubt you, but i couldn't possible work out at 160 -170 beats per minute for 90 min.
  • Ctrum69
    Ctrum69 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    It's at about 170. My heart rate for insanity goes up to over 180 and in 45 mins of that, I burn about 400 cals. And I work muchhhhhh harder

wow. That's a lot higher than I can get.

:)

Good job.
  • Pennapenguin
    Pennapenguin Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I weigh 200# and I can burn 900 calories in an hour doing Zumba. An hour of HIIT Boot Camp averages 800 calories an hour for me. And I wear an HRM too.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I burned 969 calories in 90 minutes of roller blading Saturday night. I wear a HRM so I know it's at least relatively accurate. I skate hard and my HR pretty much didn't drop below 160-170 the entire time.

i don't doubt you, but i couldn't possible work out at 160 -170 beats per minute for 90 min.
    Have you ever rollerbladed? You don't even realize how hard you're working. I was shocked how high my HR was when I rollerbladed because it doesn't feel like you're working that hard. Same with the elliptical.
  • Beadslea
    Options
    It really comes down to calorie intake versus calorie outtake. I wouldnt dream of trying to burn 900 calories in an exercise session unless I was going to be eating a very high calorie meal. You cant put in minimum calories and burn more calories to lose weight. Unfortunately, that will backfire on you and its not healthy. Perhaps you could try a different mindset about your diet and exercise
  • sassyjae21
    Options

Good job.

What's higher than you can get? My heart rate? No worries, I feel like i'm going to die at that point. Once it reaches over 180 i'm like "I'm finally about to kick the bucket" lmao
  • izzie_loves_2_run
    Options
    its based off your heart rate! YOU CAN do it!! try a spinning class they are an hour and with full effort some people ahve burned 1200 calories in an hour
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options

Good job.
    I think some of us are special snowflakes that way (seriously). I am jealous of the guy who jogged and had an average heart rate of 138! Mine would have been 178, even if I was jogging at a speed that I could walk faster than. I've been a regular exerciser for 15 years (with a few breaks) and it hasn't improved. My resting heart rate is often under 60, but get me doing cardio and it's "Goodnight, Irene!" :laugh:
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options

you sustain at 180? how old are you?

I don't think i've seen anything above 179 on my HRM, and that was a spike, when i was completely out of shape.

the more conditioned i am the harder it seems to reach those high BPMs. Like i'm doing probably twice the volume of work then i was when i first started insanity but my HR is definetly lower on average.

whats your guys thoughts on that? I'll often see people post these high BPMs for long periods of time. not sure if that means i'm doing good or bad. thoughts?
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a HRM or FitBit or BM then you can always use the not so easy way to figure out calorie burns

taken from http://www.my-calorie-counter.com/mets_calculation.asp

A standard way for software to estimate calories burned is using two variables:

1) your weight
    2) a table of standard METS values for various exercises and activities
    METS relates to oxygen requirements. Starting with 1, which is the least amount of activity such as resting, the values increase as does the amount of activity. For example, walking 4 mph has a METS value of 5. Standard tables exist that provide METS values for a wide range of exercises and activities.

To calculate the calories burned based on the METS, use this formula:

Weight (in kg, kg = lbs/2.2) * METS = Calories Burned per hour

This does not take into account differences in metabolism due to gender, age, or body composition which may cause results to vary.

Sample METS Values
    METS Activity
    1 sitting quietly and watching television
    2 walking, less than 2.0 mph, level ground, strolling, very slow
    3 loading /unloading a car
    4 bicycling, < 10 mph, leisure, to work or for pleasure
    5 tennis, doubles
    6 skiing, downhill, moderate effort, general
    7 climbing hills with 0 to 9 pound load
    8 rock or mountain climbing
    9 running, cross country
    10 swimming laps, freestyle, fast, vigorous effort
    11 running, 6.7 mph
    12 fire fighter, general

And I should also say that BodyMedia out of the box is set up for the national average of MET burns just like the scale above, to truly figure out your own MET burn one would have to first figure out their Vo2 max and do the math then adjust the BodyMedia MET values to record your correct output.

http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/vo2max-calculator.aspx
  • maybyn
    maybyn Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    It depends a lot on weight. For example for running a full 60 minutes, a 120 lb person will burn around 600 calories, a 180 lbs person will burn around 900. But I am pretty sure a lot of people tend to overestimate in general. Like the will look up at some table where they see that the "average" person would burn 600 calories from one hour high impact aerobics class, and they ignore their weight, or the fact that the pure workout minus warming up, breaks to catch their breath, stretching etc was only 40 minutes.

125lbs, 5'6" here. No way would I burn 600 cals running for 60 mins. More like 450 cals max (!) so 900 cals would be running 2 hours non-stop (not even for walks).
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options

Good job.
    I think some of us are special snowflakes that way (seriously). I am jealous of the guy who jogged and had an average heart rate of 138! Mine would have been 178, even if I was jogging at a speed that I could walk faster than. I've been a regular exerciser for 15 years (with a few breaks) and it hasn't improved. My resting heart rate is often under 60, but get me doing cardio and it's "Goodnight, Irene!" :laugh:

^^ this, i have the 138 experience.

and a lot of my thing with insanity is that my HR will get pretty under control in the 30 sec breaks, or even if i take a few seconds during a set
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options

When you set up your goals for MFP, it'll have asked you what your normal activity levels are- sedentary, moderate or highly active. If you entered active to reflect the fact that you've got a pretty physical job, it's been accounted for when MFP came up with your TDEE; logging that activity is redundant.

I think this is pretty big. MFP already accounts for some activity. I don't know exactly their formula, but using Harris Benedict, even sedentary multiplies your BMR by 1.2. So if you put that you're moderately active, then "eat back" all the "extra" calories you burn doing moderate activity, you're not going to see any results. At least not any good ones. lol I work out almost every day, but I have MFP set up for sedentary because I know I'll want to eat a little extra that day I do a long run. And seeing that relatively low number for my calorie goal helps me stay in check.

Just by the numbers, my BMR is 1,851.
    Multiply by 1.2 for HB and that's 2,221.
    X7 for a week is 15,547.
    Minus 3,500 for one pound I want to lose is 12,047.
    Divide by 7 for a week, and one day comes up to 1,721.

Yup. That's what MFP gives me. So if I want to lose more than one pound a week, or eat more than 1,720 calories a day, I better do some exercise. And here's where it get's crazy. If I want to do 2 lbs. a week with diet alone, which a lot of people say they're trying to do, that would cut me to 1,221. I wouldn't last long with that goal.

Point is, for me, if I wanted to eat, like, 2,000 calories a day and still drop a couple of lbs. I'd have to do a pretty fair bit of exercise. Way more than a half hour here or there.
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    shoveling snow for 2 1/2 hours got me almost double that
  • lizzyclatworthy
    lizzyclatworthy Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I only get chance to do that much on a friday which can be an insanely high calorie day, date or steak night, far too much wine, and there's always the threat of drunked fried chicken and recovery cola!
  • sassyjae21
    Options

you sustain at 180? how old are you?

I don't stay at 180 the whole time- my heart would prob explode lol. It gets to over 180 during the worst of the exercise and it drops during the 30 sec break, then it picks up again.

And i'm 30. I thought the higher it got that meant the more out of shape you were? lol that's why i'm like what? good job?? no!! lol
  • rbear713
    rbear713 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I get mine by running the vacuum for 15 minutes. That's 900 minimum! i broke my metabolisms in the other direction!

BAHA!!

This is 100% correct. HAS TO BE!! Because the metabolisms, you see, they broke!! AND in the other direction? That's a doubler right there!!

FO REALZ - I regularly burn 1000+ in a day. When I started exercising, I could not, because I could not endure long enough. But after two years of going hard every day or twice a day, I can burn 1000 in 100 - 150 minutes, depending on intensity and routine.

But I REGULARLY go hard for 2 - 2.5 hours, sometimes twice a day. I try to mix as much strength into my routine as possible, but I am addicted to ENDURANCE right now...trying to find my limit in terms of HOW LONG I can go... I also eat BIG on those days, because my body wants me to....

Think about marathoners...think they burn 900 cals? How about Triathaloners? Ironmen? Tour de France bikers?

900 calories is a small number when you get into the upper echelons of fitness, and although it may be hard for the OP to wrap their head around it today, I say GO HARD every day for a year, and then ask the SAME QUESTION.....

betcha the answer is different...