Concealed Handgun permit holders......

Options
pawnstarNate
pawnstarNate Posts: 1,728 Member
Locally over the weekend and man walked into Walmart and opened fire on a woman in the checkout line. Shooting her 4 times. She just got upgraded from critical to stable condition I believe so, it looks like she may pull out of it. My question is this though. If you are a person with a concealed handgun permit and lets say you were in the next checkout line. Would you be justified in shooting the shooter? I called a friend of mine who is the county sheriff here and his exact words were "I believe so but, that would be a question for the prosecutor so don't take that to the bank"

I realize there would be a lot to consider in that split second. People running around screaming and possibly getting in the line of fire. As a concealed permit holder myself. I don't think I would hesitate to pull my pistol out and shoot this person because in that moment, you don't know if it's just an isolated incident on that particular victim or if the shooter is randomly shooting people. Thus, you are protecting your own life.

Replies

• VastBreak
    VastBreak Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I'm all for protecting yourself! I know in Massachusetts homeowners have shot people breaking into their homes and have even found guilty for injuring or killing the person breaking in! A lot would probably depend on where you live!
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    It is VERY difficult and we've had long, long discussions about your right to shoot in a situation that does not involve you and your life being threatened. IF you were near the direct line of fire then you are certainly in your right to return fire. If you were an observer to the side then it could be questionable that you shoot.

The hardest part of the situation is, you don't know anything more than it is a person shooting a person. For instance, what if a guy came into a store and started shooting at another guy, and you decide to shoot the shooter. Later you find out the shooter was the father of an 8 year old that this other person molested. Far fetched? Maybe. But it is a consideration.

When getting the CWP the idea is to keep it concealed until there is clear and present danger. Then, shot to kill.

My .02
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    When someone broke into my neighbor's house, the police officer told me that I can't shoot anyone outside, but if they step over the threshold, then blow their a** away. She also told me that I didn't hear that from her if anyone asks. But if I saw someone shooting up people in public, then yeah, I would definitely do it.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I'm Canadian and I just don't understand....
  • tyrsnbdr
    tyrsnbdr Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I'm all for protecting yourself! I know in Massachusetts homeowners have shot people breaking into their homes and have even found guilty for injuring or killing the person breaking in! A lot would probably depend on where you live!

It depends on the state. GA would be a good kill, CA you are going to jail.

I'm all for self defense, but the first technique in self defense is running away or desculate. In the rare case that you can't, you may have to use your firearm to protect yourself. If you do, you have to be aware of the situation and surroundings. Is their a McDonalds right behind the shooter with a family of 6 trying to order happy meals? Is he shooting then running? is he alone?

You have to make a lot of decisions in a split second, better make it right.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    nm...I'm vacating this one...
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options

I'm all for self defense, but the first technique in self defense is running away or desculate. In the rare case that you can't, you may have to use your firearm to protect yourself. If you do, you have to be aware of the situation and surroundings. Is their a McDonalds right behind the shooter with a family of 6 trying to order happy meals? Is he shooting then running? is he alone?

I'm in California and DH has a CCW. My understanding is that, if you feel your life is in danger, you have the right to shoot. If someone is shooting another person remotely in my vicinity, I would feel that my life is in danger, and I wouldn't hesitate.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    As long as you had a clear shot and weren't endangering other lives, I think this would fall under Defense of a Third Party/Defense of Others and justified as reasonable force. Of course the details would rely on State law and you'd probably need a good lawyer and some evidence/witness testimony to be released on those terms if charged.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    In before the feces storm.

I think shooting a man which just shot a third party is justified reasonable force, a better question would be what you should be charged with if you accidentally wound or kill a bystander instead of the shooter...
  • tyrsnbdr
    tyrsnbdr Posts: 234 Member
    Options

I'm in California and DH has a CCW. My understanding is that, if you feel your life is in danger, you have the right to shoot. If someone is shooting another person remotely in my vicinity, I would feel that my life is in danger, and I wouldn't hesitate.

Ok, Jail is overstating, however, the police would take your gun, and you are open to a civil suit, if the legal suit is not persued. My point should have been, GA, life goes on the same, CA, your life will never be the same.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    my understanding (which could very well be wrong) is, if you fire on someone to stop them from killing you or someone else, then it's a good shoot (depending on what state too i believe).

that said, as a carrier, i would take each situation as it comes.
    if i can save a life without putting mine in imminent danger, then great...but i have a wife and kid who count on me to be there, so if helping the other party is going to get me killed then i'll be over here, hiding under the clearance rack.

ETA: im not a hero. i carry to protect me and mine, not the world.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Yes, just make sure you have a conceal and carry permit and a registered gun.. you didn't know he wasn't going to open fire, just make sure you don't hit anybody besides the guy with the gun.. oh and obviously you don't leave the scene... now if you shoot 2 or 3 people in the process, well you could face charges then.
  • gmhaggie06
    Options
    Here in Texas, you can shoot to defend yourself, or the life of someone else, It gets really hazy when someone else's property is concerned (see Joe Horn case)

So yes, in Texas it would be a good shoot if you iced the guy who shot the woman. However, you are still responsible for your bullets. If you shoot the guy three times, and one of the bullets passes through the guy and wounds someone behind him; that's on you.
  • manny1991
    manny1991 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I'm Canadian and I just don't understand....

amen! One of the reasons im glad im canadian.
  • mrsfyredude
    mrsfyredude Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    my understanding (which could very well be wrong) is, if you fire on someone to stop them from killing you or someone else, then it's a good shoot (depending on what state too i believe).

that said, as a carrier, i would take each situation as it comes.
    if i can save a life without putting mine in imminent danger, then great...but i have a wife and kid who count on me to be there, so if helping the other party is going to get me killed then i'll be over here, hiding under the clearance rack.

ETA: im not a hero. i carry to protect me and mine, not the world.

Both my husband and I have CHL's (and are both prior military), but I'm with this poster. If however, the shooter turns on other shoppers and starts shooting everything and everyone in site, from my protected position, I will take him out.
  • pawnstarNate
    pawnstarNate Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    Yes, it would be a very delicate situation and one that would require matrix like examination of the room and reaction.....but, in reality. Nobody really knows what they will do until they are in that situation. I hope I never have to kill another person but, if I am protecting myself or my family I will pull the trigger and will hope all those times at the shooting range shooting at a paper target pays off.

Like my grandmother always told me....Gun control is using both hands.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    As I understand it, in the US, you have the right to use lethal force to protect yourself or others from death, grievious bodily harm or imminent grievious bodily harm.

In other words, you wouldn't be justified in shooting a pickpocket but you would be justified in shooting a mugger who has threatened to use force (even if he hasn't actually done so).

ETA : There's also the Castle doctrine which allows you to shoot any tresspasser on private property.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Locally over the weekend and man walked into Walmart and opened fire on a woman in the checkout line. Shooting her 4 times. She just got upgraded from critical to stable condition I believe so, it looks like she may pull out of it. My question is this though. If you are a person with a concealed handgun permit and lets say you were in the next checkout line. Would you be justified in shooting the shooter? I called a friend of mine who is the county sheriff here and his exact words were "I believe so but, that would be a question for the prosecutor so don't take that to the bank"

I realize there would be a lot to consider in that split second. People running around screaming and possibly getting in the line of fire. As a concealed permit holder myself. I don't think I would hesitate to pull my pistol out and shoot this person because in that moment, you don't know if it's just an isolated incident on that particular victim or if the shooter is randomly shooting people. Thus, you are protecting your own life.

What do the laws of your state say?
    ETA : There's also the Castle doctrine which allows you to shoot any tresspasser on private property.

In certain states there are, some states do not recognize that.
  • Lea_8D
    Lea_8D Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    You hear two gunshots in the store. You turn the corner and hear a third shot as you see a man (A) who has just fired his gun and another man (B) slumped to the floor bleeding. You pull out your gun and shoot the man (A) who just shot the other man. You take another step you see yet another person (C) dead on the floor. Then you realize that the person you just killed (A) was another concealed carry holder and the person he killed (B) was the original shooter. Before you have a chance to fully realize what happened, you look up and see another CC holder pulling out his gun and firing at you...