NEW! need folks to kick my *kitten*!

Options
Hello there!
I am sitting at work with my gut touching my desk and realized I am sick and tired of being icky. So I signed up here!! At MyFitnessPal!
I will go with my daughter to the gym this evening. Seriously, I have been DROPPING HER OFF at the gym and driving away. I'm too embarrassed to go into the gym because I am so heavy which is silly because I don't lose the wight by going home and eating in front of the TV.
Anywhoooo.... I know I have a long road but I think the penny dropped in my brain this morning.
I think I am going to download C25K and use that gem to help me along.
Any advice, encouragement and recipes will be welcome!
I hope I get some friends!
Good luck to all of you!

Replies

• ronbo62098
    ronbo62098 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    That's my story as well. Last year my daughter started swim team and I would pick her up after work. After two days of sitting in the lobby for 30-45 mins waiting for her, it dawned on me that I should be upstairs sweating while I wait. Yeah, I'm the over-weight 47 year old guy who can barely hold 4 mph on the treadmill. So what. The young girls/guys there can run on the treadmill/elliptical and give me all the sideways glances they want. They can run faster than me, but nobody - I mean NOBODY - sweats more than I do. As much as the first 20 min of each session kills me, I really look forward to the full burn and that feeling "afterward". That feeling that I've actually done something productive - and I've got a soaked t-shirt and towel to prove it. =)

Don't be intimidated - the only person in the gym you need to worry about doing "better than" is yourself. You'll thank yourself later. FR sent.
  • ZombieSwimmer
    Options
    Thanks for replying!
  • donnakhomer
    donnakhomer Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Add me too! I also need friends to kick my *kitten*!! Lol! I have been doing a beach body challenge for the past two months, but the group is ending this week. I really need the support to keep myself in gear. When the weather gets nice here in PA, I also plan to do a c25k program. I used to run, but haven't in years.
  • piratesluver
    piratesluver Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I sent you a friend request.

The fact that you realized that you cab make a change and started to implement it is huge. Keep it up!
  • ZombieSwimmer
    Options
    Add me too! I also need friends to kick my *kitten*!! Lol! I have been doing a beach body challenge for the past two months, but the group is ending this week. I really need the support to keep myself in gear. When the weather gets nice here in PA, I also plan to do a c25k program. I used to run, but haven't in years.

I live in Ohio so I feel ya about running outside! I am going to do the C25K on the treadmill. I have been told by many many folks on here to just take it slowly. so mayyyybe I'll finish it on the treadmill and start it again outside in the spring!
  • mheebner
    mheebner Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Just be active no matter what it is . I know you are thinking about getting into a running program, but even just getting to the gym and walking on the treadmill listening to some music is a fantastic way to begin the gym 'habit'. That is exactly what I started doing when I first joined.
    And I know its your perception but don't let the feeling that people will be watching as you workout keep you from actually doing it. Most people are pretty preoccupied with whatever it is they are doing to really even notice what you are doing
  • ZombieSwimmer
    Options
    Just be active no matter what it is . I know you are thinking about getting into a running program, but even just getting to the gym and walking on the treadmill listening to some music is a fantastic way to begin the gym 'habit'. That is exactly what I started doing when I first joined.
    And I know its your perception but don't let the feeling that people will be watching as you workout keep you from actually doing it. Most people are pretty preoccupied with whatever it is they are doing to really even notice what you are doing

Oh! This is good advice. I am getting ready to leave work, head home and then to the gym tonight. I will remember this while I am AT THE GYM working out! Thank you.
  • lessofless
    lessofless Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Have you already bought the C25K app? (Does it even cost money?) Because if you haven't, I know of the perfect app for you.

Based on your name, I take it you like zombies. There is an app called Zombies, Run! 5K training. It is the same concept as C25K, but you are put in the middle of a story where you are training to run from Zombies. It got me running last year. I can't say enough good things about it. I found that running was a bit boring for me. With this app, I was able to lose myself in the story (and you still get to listen to your own music).

It does cost money. I think it is $2. But it was worth it. I ended up buying the regular app as well.

Good luck!
  • GlowstickGirl
    GlowstickGirl Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the 10k version of C25K and i love it! If you like running but need to ease into it, this is definitely the program for you! My only advice is to take it slow and don't push yourself too hard.

Definitely try out a few different things and find an exercise you love doing. It makes it a lot easier to find motivation to go to the gym :)
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Sometimes we just Wake Up and Decide! Today I'm going to Change!!!!!!

Way to go!!! go into that gym! First person said it great!

Personally, when I had a gym membership when I would see someone larger I wanted to give them a high five! Knowing it can be harder and worrying what others think... who cares! You're there for Change just like anyone else. So HIGH FIVE!!!!!

Start today and never stop!!!!!
  • MonaFry
    Options
    Hey there! I'm just jumping into this today and your the first posting I've read! I'm not a big fan of going to the gym either because I think people all stare and I hate it. I've got to get over it and I would say the same to you. Just go to the gym with blinders on. Good luck to you!!!
  • dimple_gal
    dimple_gal Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    "Once begun is half done" - as Mary Poppins says. Just getting to the gym is the hardest part. Once you are there, you might as well move!

I love the idea of the C25K app, will look into it as I signed up for a 5 k this March. Good luck!!
  • FitnFeistyLyness
    FitnFeistyLyness Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    hey guys. welcome

feel free to add me or join my group

over 200 pounds released so far..

some of us in the group are doing the c25k.. we have weigh ins measurments all sorts of things

your here.. your making a difference in your life.. support is key

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/18785-motivation-support-and-accountability
  • ShelleyTurgeon
    ShelleyTurgeon Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I don't like to kick *kitten* but I will be as encouraging as I can be.. add me as a friend... any of you can! I have a great group on here and I am always looking for more :)
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I did C25K app (free version) and loved it until an injury started acting up. It's easy to follow, but be aware that weeks 5-7 you up your running a LOT. Congrats for making the decision to get healthy & best of luck to you! :drinker:
  • Angimom
    Angimom Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    HI I am Angi and I am the Captain of Team Michonne in the Walking Dead 9 Week challenge. I am looking for kick *kitten* team members or people who just want a great challenge! Anyone who is interested please message me! Thanks!!
  • nigelwood3
    Options
    Sounds like you're kicking your own butt into action, go you. Keep us updated and will do the praising bit instead. I bet your daughter will be proud of you.

Ignore all the athletic bodies at the gym, some of them were probably your shape and bigger once and generally everyone is welcoming
  • Southieface
    Options
    SCORE! Its kind of eye opening when you actually notice what you need to do anddd its also a moment you never forget.
  • rebb40
    Options
    I as well am looking for motivation feel free to add me as well!!! Building support = greater chance to succeed
  • tropicaltiger
    Options
    I use too feel the same over 100 pounds ago-I was also ashamed but I did it-it sounds so great that you posted this and are reaching out-I don't believe in beating someone up-but I do believ in encouragement-I do go to the gym -I am about working out and eating healthy-I don't call this a diet-I call it a lifestyle-so you are more then welcome to add me-best of luck on your new journey to happy healthy lifestlye