My Husband wants to GAIN WEIGHT!

Options
My husband is 5'10 and 110lbs he has sickle cell but that has nothing to do with his inability to gain weight. He doesn't like anything milky or anything that has artificial sugar in it, plus he doesn't have a appetite. I don't know what to does anyone have any ideas for me. b

Replies

• sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    1. Get him to talk to his doctor to make sure he doesn't have some other condition that is preventing him gaining weight - you don't mention if he has a lack of appetite, or if he eats tons of food and just doesn't gain, but either way, this is the most important thing to do
    2. Bacon. Mayonnaise. Butter. Cake. Ice cream. Anything fried. Hopefully he's already getting his protein and veggies.
    3. You may have to recognize that what is healthy for him may not be what is healthy for you and the kids, and try to accommodate everyone differently.
  • CarlHelgesson
    Options
    I definitively agree with sheermomentum, he should see a doctor and discuss the challenges and possibilities due to his condition.

Is he allowed to, and can he, do weight liftning? That's a spark that will both make him gain weight and also feel more hunger.

Try to get him to eat loads of carbs and proteins around training to use both the insulin effect together with the protein synthesis.

There are some Mass Gainers (shakes) on the market which may fit his demans regarding the taste and artifical sweetening. That's an easy way to get in more calories.

But as mentioned before, discuss everything with his doctor before you start.
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Obviously this is mostly a nutrition board, so the answers are going to mostly discuss caloric intake, etc. Honestly, using MFP to track calories and macros would be the best bet.

How much does he eat?

I don't disagree with everyone above. I feel that it's crucial for people looking to gain weight to do strength training. Unfortunately, a very thin person who has always been thin is not likely going to be able to handle very heavy lifting right away. It might take several months to a year to ease into it more gradually, because his connective tissues and bones may not be strong enough yet to train hard.

Also, if he does strength train, he has to be eating enough to gain weight. Otherwise, he will just wear himself out. Very thin people don't have enough stored energy to recover well from training, either. Diet is crucial.

What are his strength levels like?
  • jhellwig828
    jhellwig828 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    My coworker's son had cystic fibrosis. He had an awful time gaining weight. They told him to put maple syrup on anything he could stand it on and eat as much peanut butter as he could. Like, if you wake up in the middle of the night, eat a scoop or two of peanut butter. Good luck to your husband!
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    My husband is 5'10 and 110lbs he has sickle cell but that has nothing to do with his inability to gain weight. He doesn't like anything milky or anything that has artificial sugar in it, plus he doesn't have a appetite. I don't know what to does anyone have any ideas for me. b

First things first, your husband definitely needs to talk to his doctor.

But for the time being you should buy Ensure shakes for him. Preferably Ensure Plus. My Papa was diagnosed with advanced stage pancreatic cancer last January and if you are familiar with the cancer, it makes you not want to eat because you are in so much pain 24/7. When he was diagnosed, he weighed around 160/165 lbs. When he passed away on June 16th, 2013, he weighed maybe 90 lbs. So making sure he was getting proper nutrition was extremely important because he was losing so much weight. His oncologist recommended Ensure Plus shakes. He drank 2-3 a day. This will help your husband get the nutrition he needs… vitamins, minerals, etc. One bottle has 350 calories and 13 g protein. It comes in 5 flavors- butter pecan, dark chocolate, milk chocolate, strawberry, and vanilla. My Papa preferred the vanilla and milk chocolate flavors.
  • jvdx
    jvdx Posts: 57
    Options
    peanut butter
    and nutella

on everything
  • positivesky
    positivesky Posts: 20 Member
    Options

First things first, your husband definitely needs to talk to his doctor.

But for the time being you should buy Ensure shakes for him. Preferably Ensure Plus. My Papa was diagnosed with advanced stage pancreatic cancer last January and if you are familiar with the cancer, it makes you not want to eat because you are in so much pain 24/7. When he was diagnosed, he weighed around 160/165 lbs. When he passed away on June 16th, 2013, he weighed maybe 90 lbs. So making sure he was getting proper nutrition was extremely important because he was losing so much weight. His oncologist recommended Ensure Plus shakes. He drank 2-3 a day. This will help your husband get the nutrition he needs… vitamins, minerals, etc. One bottle has 350 calories and 13 g protein. It comes in 5 flavors- butter pecan, dark chocolate, milk chocolate, strawberry, and vanilla. My Papa preferred the vanilla and milk chocolate flavors.

+ Vitamin pills would not go astray.
  • ThriceBlessed
    ThriceBlessed Posts: 499 Member
    Options

First consult a doctor to find out if something is preventing weight gain.

Then if he doesn't have an appetite you need to make calorie dense choices. Peanut butter is calorie dense, so is butter, almond butter, Nutella, etc.

As for him not liking artificial sugar, if he is trying to gain why would he use artificial? Why not the real thing?

He doesn't like anything milky... well there are plenty of non-milky things that are high in calories. Nuts, avocados, beef, breads, desserts like cake and pie. But especially things like nuts and nut butters, because you can add a lot of calories with very little volume, which is what he needs if he doesn't have much appetite.
  • sunnshhiine
    sunnshhiine Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    peanut butter
    and nutella

on everything

basically this. plus bacon.
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I hate when people suggest high calorie foods, just because someone needs to gain weight!

See if your insurance covers a nutritionalist. You don't want him to get into bad habits with his nutrition just because he needs to gain weight. Weight training is a great way to gain definition to his body and weight in the process. My husband likes the look from weight lifting. It makes hime feel better about himself. It's something he can do himself and be proud of.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I hate when people suggest high calorie foods, just because someone needs to gain weight!

See if your insurance covers a nutritionalist. You don't want him to get into bad habits with his nutrition just because he needs to gain weight. Weight training is a great way to gain definition to his body and weight in the process. My husband likes the look from weight lifting. It makes hime feel better about himself. It's something he can do himself and be proud of.

What? How do you think he's going to gain weight (or build muscle as your husband does) unless he has a calorie surplus? Assuming he doesn't want to eat pounds of low calorie foods, the best way to go about this is to turn to calorie and nutrient dense foods - nuts, nut butter, whole eggs, lean protein, avocado, rice pasta, etc. Just because things have more calories and/or fat in them doesn't mean they're unhealthy. And yes, he could even eat bacon and nutella. Why not?!
  • HappyMeLovely
    HappyMeLovely Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    The best way for him to gain weight is the healthy way. Foods high in Omega 3 fatty acids are great, there is some evidence that Omega 3s help red blood cell membranes become less fragile (foods such as salmon or sardines, milled flax seeds, olive oil, and almonds). It is important for him to have balanced nutrition, this includes: lean meats, whole grains, complex carbs (sweet potatoes and oatmeal), some dairy, and a good variety of fruits and vegetables. His hydration status is vital to avoiding sickle cell complications, so water is important.

Some of the foods that others have posted should be avoided because diabetes and atherosclerosis/heart disease are the last things that a sickle cell patient needs. Foods to avoid are high in simple sugar, saturated fats, and Omega 6 fatty acids (fried food, too much beef or bacon, ice cream, some nut butter is okay but don't overdo it).

As far as exercise, always talk to his doctor before trying something new, but generally speaking for a sickle patient low impact is usually recommended. Unless his doctor recommends it, he should avoid weight lifting, running, and any other high impact exercise. That will stress his body and put him at risk for a sickle cell crisis.

I wish you both well. I'd look into getting him in with a hemotologist and nutritionist, in order to evaluate the cause of his decreased appetite (it may be pain or just his condition in general, but it is better to be sure).
  • nommers2x
    Options
    Hi I saw your post and was wondering if you had any tips on gaining weight?
  • jfraser1992
    jfraser1992 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am 5ft 10 and was 116lbs around a month ago I now eat every 2-4hours (alot of pasta) around a gallon of milk a day, cut out all unhealthy food and after being the same weight for 3 years I have gained 11lbs so far although the gain is slowing now I am still gaining I found this was the best for me with a mile and a half run 2-3 times a week and Weights as well

Hope it helps
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    He can work himself into an appetite :) Itll just take some time
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    peanut butter
    and nutella

on everything

basically this. plus bacon.

love bacon- but it's not that great for bulking.

I much prefer ice cream- but he doesn't like milk? so maybe peanut butter- that's a win too.
    Any crappy high calorie processed food he can get his hands on will do the drink- reese's cups- jelly beans- chocolate- whatever is cheap- pasta- get it- and eat it. lots of it.