Staying with calories and still not losing

Options
Okay everyone let me know your comments,thoughts.... I have been staying on track with my calories and tracking everyday. Water intake is sometimes around 5-6 cups I admit. But being within the calorie total shouldn't I be losing something every week?
I look at other peoples diaries and they are losing every week and eating out, sweets, only 2-3 meals a day. I try and do 5-6 meals a day. I am super duper frustrated. I am fairly active too. Not everyday but most.

Replies

• baodell
    baodell Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I cant see your diary. You can open it for viewing in settings. Then you could get some great help from ppl on here! :) How long have you been at it? It took 3 weeks for my scale to move..
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    "Open diary or it didn't happen."
    ...only 2-3 meals a day. I try and do 5-6 meals a day.

Number of meals per day is irrelevant for weight loss.
  • spara0038
    spara0038 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue as you. But... let me tell you that water helps a TON. I lost 7 lbs in my first week of having 10+ glasses of water a day, without changing much of my diet or exercise. Then, I started with exercise. I have always done ok with maintaining my calories, and although I haven't lost much weight since I upped my exercise (1 week ago), I do feel leaner and more confident already, which is great motivation too.

Also... I find that if I fill up on protein and veggies I can avoid a lot of starches, which would make me all bloaty. Pizza and anything made with potatoes were my two vices, but if I have some yummy protein I can usually avoid temptation pretty easily.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It's normal not to lose every week, weight loss isn't linear. Do you weigh your food? You might be eating more than you think if you don't.
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    It depends on your height, weight, how much you need to lose, how much you exercise ans what you eat/how much you eat every day. Can you share that with us so we can try to help?
  • Kenazwa
    Kenazwa Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Be as precise as you can with measuring your food and drink. Keep good records. If you stay at the same weight for a month, you are probably eating at maintenance and may need to reduce your calories.

Exercise does more for the health and shape of your body, less for weight loss. Concentrate on the food side of weight loss but keep up moderate exercise.

Consider what you can do for the rest of your life. If you aren't going to - FOR EXAMPLE - eat 1000 calories per day and exercise for an hour every day, don't do that for weight loss. The idea is that you want to start living for your goal weight. It's good practice to calculate what maintenance calories would be for your goal weight with your current lifestyle and see if you can live with that. I'm eating maintenance calories for my goal weight minus 100 but I haven't been at it consistently long enough to see what happens with that.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    "Open diary or it didn't happen."

^^this.

Basically, what is "staying on track" with calories, specifically? Are you weighing your food or using measuring cups? Are you entering your own foods, or are you using foods others have created? Are you eating below your BMR? Are you using the TDEE-20% method? How do you track your workout calories? Do you "eat them back"?

So many questions...
  • Will210
    Will210 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Def drink more water. When you have accomplished that, drink more water. What are your macros like? Might want to open the diary.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    There will be one of 5 things wrong

1/ The calorie figure your working to is wrong so your not eating at a deficit Solution - so you need to re work it out

2/ Your eating more than you think so you're not eating at a deficit Solution - Make sure your weighing and calculating your food correctly

3/ You're over estimating your exercise burn and eating the calories back so not eating at a deficit. Solution -Only eat a proportion of them back and see if that helps

4/ You're being to impatient and not giving it time weight loss is not linear.- Solution Learn Patience

5/ You have a medical problem that is inhibiting weightloss. Solution This in reality is unlikely but if you are worried go see your doctor
  • CookieEmporium
    CookieEmporium Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I've found that my biggest problem is over-estimating my exercise calories during times I have trouble losing weight.
  • sunshinealways
    sunshinealways Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    thank you ..... very helpful... i will increase my water for sure...
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Okay everyone let me know your comments,thoughts.... I have been staying on track with my calories and tracking everyday. Water intake is sometimes around 5-6 cups I admit. But being within the calorie total shouldn't I be losing something every week?
    I look at other peoples diaries and they are losing every week and eating out, sweets, only 2-3 meals a day. I try and do 5-6 meals a day. I am super duper frustrated. I am fairly active too. Not everyday but most.

1. You're not other people.
    2. Weight loss is not linear.
    3. Make sure you're weighing/measuring your food.
    4. If you're still not seeing a loss after a few weeks- maybe think about lowering your calorie goal, exercising more, eating back fewer exercise calories, etc. The calorie goal is an estimate and it may take some trial and error to find where you really need to be.

As others have said, there are just so many factors to consider. Stay positive, adjust accordingly, and you'll be just fine.
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    My weight loss graph looks like stair steps. Not a constant drop to the bottom. If you feel you're in your calorie range I'd really tighten it up for a week or 2. Weigh and measure everything. Read those serving size. Keep a rigid journal. Exercise 3-4 times a week. If at the end of 2 weeks you're still not losing you might need to shake things up. Try following an eat clean Tosca Reno menu. I always lose when I do it.
  • AnnACnd
    AnnACnd Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    For me the first month I see little change and then it comes quickly. Also for me I really had to eat less carbs, way less.