Personal Trainer-- Yay or Nay?

Options
Recently a close friend/fitness freak of mine recommended I speak with his friend, Shannon, who is studying nutritional science and is a full-time personal trainer. I spoke with her and told her about my goals. She asked me to keep a record of my eating habits/activities for a week, and that we would then meet up and discuss what I'm doing right and what to change. She told me she'd charge $50 for 3 sessions (meet up, one on one gym time, discuss different exercises I can do at home without weights, in the car, and at work [I have an office job]) I've never worked with a personal trainer before, but even just during this week while I've been tracking what/when I eat and workout, I've gone from 136 to 132. (Coincidence?)

My question is-- is a personal trainer worth it? For only $50 for a total three sessions (which I imagine would get me plenty on my feet) it seems like a great deal. And I honestly know little to nothing when it comes to fitness/nutrition, so I feel like it would benefit me greatly.

Has anyone here met with a personal trainer before? How did it go for you? Would you say it helps?

Thanks in advance! :)

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Personal trainers can be awesome, but there are also ones out there who are full of it. That is a really good (cheap) price but from your description of the young lady she is still in school/ really early in her career so that could explain it. Go in there with an open mind if you choose to do it but use your head too, if something doesn't make sense then do some reasearch on your own or consult other professionals. Also look at your friend who recommended her, you call them a fitness freak, is that because they have crazy fitness ideas or are they just very fitness oriented in their life?
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    That's pretty cheap. I had a personal trainer for over a year; each session was $50. But I did luck out; as he was my friend's husband he was giving me one free session a week as well. I thought it was great; they definitely push you harder than you would yourself.
  • NekoneMeowMixx
    NekoneMeowMixx Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Fitness freak as in he's *very* fitness orientated. The guy's pretty much a tank, and is always coaching me/scolding me for some of my bad habits :P

She does seem a bit earlier in her career, but my friend says she's pretty good. I'll certainly double check everything she tells me, but I figured for $50 for 3 full sessions, it's certainly worth a shot! I work 55 hours a week at a desk job, so I have a hard time prepping healthy meals/workouts that are quick, but worthwhile.

And I think having a personal trainer would definitely help keep me on track, cause I've fallen off the wagon and picked this back up I don't know how many times. I'm doing a good job of sticking with it so far though, and I'm already seeing some results. :)
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Give it a whirl then! It sounds like she is in a reputable program and not just an online degree like alot of them are these days.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    $50 for 3 sessions is good - use the opportunity to get a set routine into place. I think you are off to a good start and later if you want to review or change your program you know someone that can help you out. Good luck!
  • chelso0o
    chelso0o Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I had an amazing fitness mentor who introduced me to endurance sports. I never would have branched out and done half of the things I have done if it weren't for him. Then, after I was into the lifestyle, I switched to another coach who better suited my needs. Now, I am working with a rowing coach/team. I would *never* have learned as much as I have about nutrition, training schedules, strength training, etc. if it weren't for them.

I would never have completed 3 olympic distance triathlons, 4 sprint distance triathlons, a half marathon, a 9 mile mountain bike race, countless criterium bike races, 6 5K's, and 3 rowing head races had it not been for the guidance of those three people in my life.

Not only a personal trainer, but someone who coaches. Or, at the very least, join a group and make friends with people who have similar fitness goals as you. These friendships have fostered a love of moving. Truly. I cannot say this enough. Surrounding yourself with folks who are interested in health really does something for your motivation.

I'm not saying that you have to spend a ton of money on a trainer, but making these connections really added a lot to my life in terms of happiness and fulfillment.

I think the best thing that my fitness mentor did was start me out slowly. He reigned me in and said "listen, I want this to be a lifelong thing and if you jump in head first, you are going to be sore, and you won't return. Let's slow down and ease into it." That approach was the best thing I could have ever done.

Also, books are a great tool! I highly recommend: Mind Gym, Born to Run, A Life Without Limits
  • KarlaMcCormick
    Options
    Worth it if they know what they are doing! I've been working with personal trainers for several months, and they have helped me choreograph workouts that I can do on my own. They are also good at keeping me motivated and pushing me a little extra when I've needed it. I ask questions to understand the purpose behind some of the exercises, and they have been great at helping me understand why we do them. They are great at ensuring I am using the proper techniques, and can help me target specific areas that I need to work on. And they are good at helping me determine how to modify an exercise if I am having trouble completing them as directed. $50 for 3 sessions is a great price.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Well if it helps, I charge $65 for 1 session. Take what knowledge you can for $50.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    What would you spend the 50 bucks on if you did not do this?

Personally, I believe that money is an investment into you. I used to buy packages from a personal trainer that equaled out to be 25 bucks an hour(cheap I know, I got real lucky). It was worth it to me because I would not have done that work had he not been standing there beside me telling me what to do and encouraging me. But that is me.

There are people that have the motivation to work out alone and that is great, then there are the rest of us. A personal trainer that will make you work hard and encourage you while you are doing so is worth every penny.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    My sessions were $50 each, it was worth it. I dealt with nutrition myself and the trainer was strictly fitness, I also told her I would never step on a cardio machine(elliptical / treadmill) while I was on the clock, I wasn't going to pay $50 an hour to spend 15 minutes running on a treadmill!

She made me do a lot of crossfit style workouts and lifting, she focused a lot on form, which was important because I would have to do it on my own once our sessions were done.
  • MrsB123111
    MrsB123111 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I pay $105 a week for 3 sessions, so I'd say go for it!! I love working with a trainer! I've seen much better results than working on my own.
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    PT usually charge $50-$60 or more an hour, so if you can get one for $50 for three sessions go for it!

Yes its worth every penny. You get a bonus in that this PT is learning about the other 1/2 of the process ... nutriention.

A PT will help with your form, seeing if you are doing exercises correctly, help you modify something if you are not up to it, and push you so you go beyond what you think you can.

Oh, yeah worth every penny/
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    sounds like a great deal and you might get some good insights and ideas from it. go for it!
  • imjolly
    imjolly Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I have a personal trainer that I go to once a week and the benefits have been worth the money. I personally think it is worth it; I think it is a personal choice. I would rather spend my money on my health than wasting on things I really don't need. It seems like you are happy so far so for the money I would certainly give it a run for awhile.
    Good Luck
  • NekoneMeowMixx
    NekoneMeowMixx Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Wow guys! You've all got my really pumped to try this girl out! She seems pretty excited, and when I told her my goals (looking to trim off a couple of inches here and there, and lose maybe 16 pounds [being that muscle weighs more than fat, I'm not as concerned about the weight as I am just overall body fat percentage and overall toning]) she said that her work was practically cut out for her because I've already got a good start, and my goals are pretty easily obtainable (assuming I stick with it ;P)

It'll be great to learn how to eat healthier without sacrificing dollars/time/being hungry all the time, and even tiny moves I can do in the office (like a static squat before I sit back in my chair) I'm sure will do wonders over time! Now if only I could get my boyfriend to try working with her ;P

Totally amped for this! Thanks guys! :D
  • jenny3008
    jenny3008 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    My PT is great. I work out with him 4-6 times a week depending on my work schedule. I have hypermobile ligaments so he has helped me find a way I can exercise and get fit and strong. My osteopath says my back is like a different back so to me he is worth every penny I pay him. £150 for 10 session which I think is about $245

He couldn't make it today so I went to the gym myself, managed a decent speed on the spin bike for the 20minutes like he told me to then messed about with some weights and realised why I NEED to have a PT.
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    I would not be where I am today (fitness-wise) without my trainer. I've been working with her for over 2 years, first twice a week, now just once a week. There are so many things I wouldn't have known how to do without her to teach me. I've learned a lot of new exercises that help keep my workouts on my own interesting. I work with her on Mondays, so it motivates me for the rest of the week. She pushes me to work harder, and then I push myself on my own, because I want to improve. In the last few weeks we've started focusing on heavy weight lifting. There's no way I would've been able to start this on my own. I'd be so clueless in the weight section at the gym by myself!

I'll always recommend working with a personal trainer (if it can be afforded). Even if it's just for a few sessions, they can help point you in the direction you want to go. $50 for 3 sessions is cheap - I say go for it!
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    I'd only ever recommend 1 for 2 reasons:

1: You really don't know what the eff you're doing in the gym and need real advice..

2: You need to prepare yourself for a show/shoot, competition or life event (e.g. wedding which you wanna look great).
  • Ragtees
    Ragtees Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Yea! Make sure that person is right for you. If you don't respond well with a drill sergeant type, search around. I found a Fitness Instructor who teaches yoga and core strength training. Pushes me through encouragement and instruction not shouting.
  • Reagan89
    Reagan89 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    My personal trainer is a life saver he works at the gym I go to and is included in the price we log in with cards so he checks I come in and how long for. He gets me to push myself while keeping me safe, he also researches items I need and finds them/ suggests them for me.