Have you dealt with hypoglycemia directly?

Options

Replies

• smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    How I know it's coming: I haven't eaten anything in awhile and I start getting grumpy and annoyed. If I still do not eat, then I get further symptoms. You should make sure that you are getting enough calories overall, and make those calories spaced out over the day. Eat a combination of protein/carbs/fat each time you eat.
    I'd like to be able to eat because I'm hungry, not because I'm getting sick.

Your body is telling you that you are hungry when you experience this. Do you not experience hunger aside from when you crash? If that is the case then that might suggest your hunger hormones are out of whack. Google "leptin" and "ghrelin".

Generally, no. I rarely feel hunger as I once did when I was a kid. Now it's just shakey, dizzy , and disoriented. I have looked into reactive hypoglycemia as, at times, I can eat and then feel the symptoms coming on not long thereafter.

I have SEVERE reactive hypoglycemia. I also have insulin resistance. I take Metformin for both RH and insulin resistance. I have to eat every 1.5-2 hours (whether I'm hungry or not) or else I start crashing. I usually crash every 2 hours no matter what I eat. When I'm crashing, I have bad brain fog, dizzy, lightheaded, can barely walk, migraine, blurred vision, shaking, sweating, heart racing, difficulty speaking. When I crash, I drop into the 40s and 50s which is extremely dangerous so my endocrinologist tells me to drink 4 oz. of juice because that will get my sugar up the fastest. Then I eat something high in protein to counteract the carbs/sugar in the juice.

Try to avoid refined carbs. No cookies, cake, muffins, etc. Stick to complex carbs only… brown rice, whole grain bread, sweet potatoes, quinoa, etc.

You will begin to learn the foods you can tolerate and the foods that you can't. I personally can't tolerate pasta at all. It causes me to spike high and drop low very quickly. More than normal I should say. When I eat pasta, I spike into the 180s and plummet into the 40s within 45 minutes of eating.

Do you currently test your blood sugar?

No I don't test. Will you have to eat every 1.5-2 hours for the rest of you life?
  • smittybuilt19
    Options
    Also, oatmeal whether instant or rolled oats sends my sugar levels down the ****tter. Which sucks, I love oatmeal.
  • kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    How I know it's coming: I haven't eaten anything in awhile and I start getting grumpy and annoyed. If I still do not eat, then I get further symptoms. You should make sure that you are getting enough calories overall, and make those calories spaced out over the day. Eat a combination of protein/carbs/fat each time you eat.

Your body is telling you that you are hungry when you experience this. Do you not experience hunger aside from when you crash? If that is the case then that might suggest your hunger hormones are out of whack. Google "leptin" and "ghrelin".

I have had this hypoglycemia for years until this past summer. If I went even 3 hrs without eating something, I would start getting what my husband calls "hangry" and then if I didn't eat right away at this point then I would get shaky, tired, and weak feeling. But I would literally have to force myself to eat because I would feel so sick that I wouldn't want to eat.

I finally figured out that the simple carbs I would eat to feel better right away would hasten the next crash. So I started having things like almonds, peanuts, and cheese sticks on hand for when I would start getting angry. That would help me feel much better for a lot longer.

I started watching my carb intake and keeping it under 75 g/ day and then later under 20g/day and I stopped having the episodes all together. Then I got pregnant and they came back at times for different reasons lol.

I do have insulin resistance which I am sure makes a difference in all of this!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

No I don't test. Will you have to eat every 1.5-2 hours for the rest of you life?

It seems an easy solution, even if you have to do it the rest of your life. But do look at your food diary and see if maybe too many simple carbs and sugar might be the problem, as some people are pointing out.
  • smittybuilt19
    Options
    I also tend to start feeling symptoms when I am engaged in face to face conversation and have to focus on what the person is saying. Same thing when speaking to a group.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Also, oatmeal whether instant or rolled oats sends my sugar levels down the ****tter. Which sucks, I love oatmeal.

Try eating more protein with your oatmeal. The protein should help balance things out. Personally, I like putting protein powder in my oatmeal - after it's cooked. You may prefer eggs on the side - whatever works for you.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Insulin sensitivity is insulin resistance.
    Sensitivity is the opposite of resistance.

Sensitive - "quick to detect or respond to slight changes, signals, or influences."
    Resistance- "the ability not to be affected by something, esp. adversely."
  • LoveMyLife_NYC
    LoveMyLife_NYC Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I used to suffer from this too! I had to eat a source of protein every 3 hours or so whether I was hungry or not, and if I ate carbs, I always paired it with a protein source. After a while, I really started keeping track of calories and macros. I still eat 5 mini meals, or 3 meals and 2 substantial snacks. I set my macros to 40/30/30 (c/p/f). When I look for a snack, I always look for the higher protein option.

It got a lot better when I really started paying attention to how much I ate and what kinds of foods I put in my body. Losing weight and regular exercise helped too. I still find my sugar is most likely to dip in the late morning, so I just make sure I eat twice before a morning workout.

It's nowhere near as bad as it used to be. My sugar used to crash once or twice a day, but since I made some diet and lifestyle changes, now it might dip low (but not dangerous or to the point where I'm sick) once every 2-3 months. And when it does crash, I can usually pinpoint what caused it. My sugar is never stable after eating someplace like McD's for about a day, or like I said above, not enough fuel to last through a late morning workout.
  • smittybuilt19
    Options
    I don't mind the eating every couple hours if that's what has to happen. Just wondered if that would be considered "normal". Like I say I'd like to be able to one day eat again because I'm hungry not because it's time.

Its a fine line watching calorie intake and making sure not to bottom out.
  • auddii
    Options
    I also tend to start feeling symptoms when I am engaged in face to face conversation and have to focus on what the person is saying. Same thing when speaking to a group.
    That actually sounds like a nervousness thing, and several hormones can have similar reactions to those that happen during low blood sugar. I can get similar reactions from having lidocane at the dentist (it has epinephrine in it, and I react badly to it), too much caffeine, etc.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

Generally, no. I rarely feel hunger as I once did when I was a kid. Now it's just shakey, dizzy , and disoriented. I have looked into reactive hypoglycemia as, at times, I can eat and then feel the symptoms coming on not long thereafter.

I have SEVERE reactive hypoglycemia. I also have insulin resistance. I take Metformin for both RH and insulin resistance. I have to eat every 1.5-2 hours (whether I'm hungry or not) or else I start crashing. I usually crash every 2 hours no matter what I eat. When I'm crashing, I have bad brain fog, dizzy, lightheaded, can barely walk, migraine, blurred vision, shaking, sweating, heart racing, difficulty speaking. When I crash, I drop into the 40s and 50s which is extremely dangerous so my endocrinologist tells me to drink 4 oz. of juice because that will get my sugar up the fastest. Then I eat something high in protein to counteract the carbs/sugar in the juice.

Try to avoid refined carbs. No cookies, cake, muffins, etc. Stick to complex carbs only… brown rice, whole grain bread, sweet potatoes, quinoa, etc.

You will begin to learn the foods you can tolerate and the foods that you can't. I personally can't tolerate pasta at all. It causes me to spike high and drop low very quickly. More than normal I should say. When I eat pasta, I spike into the 180s and plummet into the 40s within 45 minutes of eating.

Do you currently test your blood sugar?

You're going to have to start testing. I'd recommend buying a One Touch ultra mini glucometer from CVS (if there's a CVS near you). It's $19.99 and the most accurate meter on the market. You'll also need test strips which your doctor can call in a prescription for so you don't have to pay for them out of pocket because they are expensive and it adds up very quickly especially if you are someone like me who has to test up to 10 times a day.

It's hard to say. But for the time being, that's what I have to do. Most hypoglycemics have to eat every 2 hours or they start getting symptomatic.
  • Bethany0214
    Bethany0214 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS which causes insulin resistance and in turn can cause hypoglycemia episodes. I will tell you my experience with it has been like this...if I go several days eating very heavily on white flour based carbs..like bread or pasta, my insulin resistance goes crazy and that's when the hypoglycemia kicks in.

I will go from not hungry to absolutely starving in a short amount of time and I start sweating and shaking. I get light headed and cold and I've actually had a couple episodes where I vomited. I'm not diabetic. My doctor couldn't explain it.

As soon as I start to balance my meals and eat whole grains and fruits and vegetables my body goes back to normal. I haven't had a bad attack in a long, long time.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options

Sensitive - "quick to detect or respond to slight changes, signals, or influences."

I am insulin resistant which makes me extremely insulin sensitive. Hence why I have to watch my carb and sugar intake because the smallest amount of carbs can shoot my levels through the roof.

Do you have low insulin sensitivity or high insulin sensitivity?
  • auddii
    Options

I am insulin resistant which makes me extremely insulin sensitive. Hence why I have to watch my carb and sugar intake because the smallest amount of carbs can shoot my levels through the roof.

I can eat large quantities of carbs, sugar and alcohol which usually cause blood sugars to spike, and mine barely goes above normal fasting levels. So, my insulin levels easily compensate for my carbs, and if I do not eat enough carbs is when I seem to have problems. Eating lots of simple carbs can cause low blood sugar like symptoms, but my blood sugar isn't necessarily low at that time. Other times my blood sugar is low but I do not have any symptoms. My A1C I believe was around a 4.5, which corresponds to overall having a relatively low blood sugar (low 80s).
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    I have never been to the doctors for it, but if I start to feel it coming on I make a sugary cup of tea, this kicks in quickly and keeps me going to make something more sustainable.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Well, I have GREATLY REDUCED the number of hypoglycemic "attacks," since I started eating better a couple of years ago.

Previous symptoms: light-headed, dizzy, irritable, ravenous

What I learned to do (and what I've always known to do, BUT I have been attempting Low Fat, High Carb diets for over a decade...no bueno!!!):

Always eat protein at every meal. Limit simple carbs, such as: bread, pasta, desserts. I love these, but they don't fuel me for very long. I construct my meals as follows: protein + veggie (non-starchy, usually green) + fruit (or simple carb, if I want it), protein + soup, protein + salad. The protein will carry you through to the next meal. The veggies are just good for micronutrients and as bulk to fill you up sooner. IF you find yourself getting light-headed, eat some nuts or nut butter (PB2 is low cal and works very well), Greek yogurt (I like plain, 22-24 grams of protein, with my own additions or Chobani flavored-12 grams of protein), cheese (the fat satiates you, as well as protein), or jerky.

This is not to say that you should go through Atkins Induction, when I say limit carbs. No need to make cauliflower tortillas, pancakes, etc. You CAN have bread. You CAN have sugar. You CAN have dessert. You just need to fuel your body, first, with protein, then eat some veggies, then enjoy simple carbs, in small quantities.

I consulted with a doctor in my early 20's about this, and he was adamant about the concept that "hypoglycemia does NOT exist." He diagnosed my condition as a "pre-diabetic state." This is probably more true than I knew then, because my dad was diagnosed a couple of years ago with diabetes and diabetes runs in my family.

So, yeah. More protein, and simple carbs in moderation. Easy peasy.
  • Shuuma
    Shuuma Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with hypoglycemia 30 years ago. I find that headaches are my first indicator, not being able to focus my eyes, dizzyness, and cold sweats will all follow. Sometimes, I just get a "quivery on the inside" feeling. It's like coming off of the flu for a week where you're all shaky and shivery and weak.

My sugar levels are best when I eat lots of dark green veggies; lots of protein; moderate carbs (too many puts too much sugar in your body); and eating several times a day. Gulping a protein shake directly after working out stalls out a reaction long enough to eat a protein-rich meal soon after.

When I find myself bottoming out, I drink a small glass of orange juice to slowly bring my sugar back without shocking my poor body, then I eat as soon as I can.

It's very manageable and I've done well for 30 years with it. Just feed your body regularly and pay attention to what it says.

Good luck!
  • TaurusV
    Options
    I fainted 2 times from hypoglycemia, luckily at my home, one time almost fell on street though.

I sometimes dont remember I didnt eat for a long time when I am interested in something, I beat my head in kitchen ground once and I was alone, but thankfully I woke up completly lost and I got I fainted after 15 min.

Now is better after I got some weight. I dont think is good for me to be under BMI 23 (for me under 57-58 kg), I always had hypo problems and very low blood pressure if I am thinner (not under normal BMI, but just thinner in general). If you see me with BMI 23, I look like a horse face very very sulky on cheeks (my husband said he prefers when I am chubbier also), so dunno if is connected.

Now I am more chubby but had no hypoglicemia problems (except a field trip on some high mountain and without eating for whole day, I got dizzy and had to sit down with dizzy/vertigo/faint spell again). Also I make sure I eat small munchies frequently.

I was reading some person before me saying about hypoglycemia not existing, maybe in the common sense it doesnt, but I have no family diabetes history, only very low blood pressure from my mom side, we feel very cold and also my mom has Balance disorder (vertigo, problems with the inner ear).

so maybe what some people like me have is a mix of low blood pressure/bad circulation/vertigo and they confuse with what is commonly known hypoglycemia.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options

I can eat large quantities of carbs, sugar and alcohol which usually cause blood sugars to spike, and mine barely goes above normal fasting levels. So, my insulin levels easily compensate for my carbs, and if I do not eat enough carbs is when I seem to have problems. Eating lots of simple carbs can cause low blood sugar like symptoms, but my blood sugar isn't necessarily low at that time. Other times my blood sugar is low but I do not have any symptoms. My A1C I believe was around a 4.5, which corresponds to overall having a relatively low blood sugar (low 80s).

Low 80s isn't low blood sugar. Low blood sugar is 70 and below. Have you had the function of your pancreas tested? You're not a type 1 diabetic, right?
  • auddii
    Options

Low 80s isn't low blood sugar. Low blood sugar is 70 and below. Have you had the function of your pancreas tested? You're not a type 1 diabetic, right?
    80 is not low, but it has tested in the 40s and 50s. Overall it is normal towards the lower side of normal. My blood sugar does not go high at all. Like ever. I have no symptoms of diabetes and have never tested positive.