how in the hell are these people getting 900 calorie burns

Options

Replies

• Ctrum69
    Ctrum69 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I don't think it burns more calories just because you have your heart rate higher because you are panting, though. I think it only counts if your heart rate is high because you are actually working out at a high intensity.

i think your probably right but i dont know for sure

you would pant due to your heart rate going up, not the opposite, for anything over a few seconds.

Your respiration increases to compensate for your circulation increase.

I can get my HR up into the high 120s (my "fatburning zone" is 136) without even moving. just stand in one spot, and tense all the major and as many minor muscle groups as you can.

It doesn't get up into the 130s until I start moving around (still tensed) however.

I get about the same heart rate walking at 3.5 mph on a relatively level surface.

If you are moving the same amount of oxygen and fuel to your muscles, you are moving the same amount of oxygen and fuel.

Granted: breath control is something you learn over time..most people breathe wrong when they first start out, but if you are breathing right (belly breathing), then HR is an indicator of aerobic calorie burn.

(Now, is your burn at X HR the same as mine at the same? Probably not.)
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Sometime, you have to do Insanity twice.
    I do attempt to burn 100 kc then round of lifting weights , cardio and repeat 5 times until I hit 1400 calories.
  • ThriceBlessed
    ThriceBlessed Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Everyone who is so certain of their calories burns...

...on what are you basing this certainty?

(HRM isn't an acceptable answer as these are approximations at best.)

I base mine on results. In the past 30 weeks of using my bodymedia armband, my average weight loss almost spot on to what it "should be" based on my daily calorie deficit. I print out my statistical averages every 28 days, so I'm able to see what deficit I've averaged for the the previous 4 weeks. Over time (30 weeks) my weight loss is right about where it should be according to my average calorie deficit, average calorie deficit for the past 30 weeks is roughly 1000 calories per day, average weight loss for the past 30 weeks is about 2 pounds per week.

I get this...because I do the same thing with my records (because nerd)...but how do you differentiate between non-exercise and exercise burn?

I don't really worry about that too much, but I can tell if I want to. I can look at the graph that shows my calorie burn for the day, and isolate individual time frames, by moving little sliders to bracket off the time I spent jogging, I can tell how many calories I was burning per minute throughout the day or during any time bracket of the day. I know that for me, if I'm sitting down not doing much I burn about 1.4 calories per minute. If I'm exercising vigorously I will burn between 11 and 15 calories per minute.

My bodymedia display also has a trip setting, if I don't want to go to the website and use the graph and sliders I can just reset the trip at the start of the activity and look at it at the end of the activity. Since I know I'd have burned about 1.4 calories per minute doing nothing, if I really wanted to know just my exercise calorie burn I could subtract that from whatever the "trip" says I burned.

However, I don't concern myself too much with that, what I concern myself with most is total calories in vs. total calories out, being sure to have deficit at the end of the day. Preferably a deficit of around 1000 calories for now, once I get under 200 pounds I'll be satisfied with a lower deficit.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Get a polar heart rate monitor with strap - most accurate model.
    If you look a few posts up, you'll see why then it's probably pointless to waste your money on a HRM expecting to get accurate calorie burn data. If you want it to keep track of your heart rate, then yes, I think a Polar with a chest strap is the way to go.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    I think this is very rare....and a lot of people over estimate. I only came close to burning 1000 calories ONCE while doing turbojam, when I first started to lose weight. Every other time, i was usually around 700. More often now, I tend to burn 500.

ETA - for individuals who feel like they need to challenge how I get the number for my calorie burn, I use a Bodymedia Armband.

LOL@need to challenge.

I've been on MFP long enough to see a recurring theme between unrealistic burns and unexpected plateaus/failure to progress. It's fascinating really, the certainty with which people are convinced their numbers are accurate even when their results don't support their confidence in the numbers.

Oh, sure, there are a lot of variables at play here...I mean, who's to say that my own calculation of non-exercise burn isn't estimated too high, which means my exercise burns are too low and the inaccuracies are buried when netted...

...but I'm sticking with my position that *most* people who think they are burning >900 calories in a single session most likely are not.
    In the interest of Science(TM), I compared my workout from last Thursday as measured by my BodyMedia Fit and Polar F11. Holy systematic error, Batman!

I took a 1 hour class with approximately 40 minutes of step and 20 minutes of abs/stretch/cooldown, then did about 40 minutes of mobility work on a foam roller (I've got lots of issues :laugh: ).

Polar F11: Max HR: 183, Avg HR: 135 (reasonable because an hour of that workout was reclining/pretty relaxed). Calories reported: 962! :noway:

BodyMedia Fit: Moderate activity: 39 minutes, Vigorous activity: 18 minutes: total activity: 57 minutes (again, makes sense, given how much time was spent on my back). Average METS: 3.7. Calories reported: 501.

Went back and looked at the data from that Zumba class I remember the HRM said I burned over 1000 calories on. 499 calories burned. :mad: I distinctly remember getting a protein brownie afterwards. I remember reading the calories thinking "not bad" until I had already eaten it and noticed that there were two servings per package, and had all but wiped out all the calories I just burned.:explode:

You see? THIS is why the really knowledgeable experts tell you that you exercise for fitness and eat a deficit of calories to lose weight! You can't out-exercise a bad diet.

I have a polar ft4 and it never tells me anything that high!! Maybe your batteries are wonky or something. That's why i never eat back my exercise calories unless I have work out a LOT, and i mean a lot. Even then, i'll eat back half.

I just don't trust the things
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    I do attempt to burn 100 kc then round of lifting weights , cardio and repeat 5 times until I hit 1400 calories.

personally, i think working out to hit a cetain calorie level is a little pointless.

If you want to do this and that to make your muscles grow or improve proformance and you want to know how many calories to eat thats one thing

but if the point is to just hit a calorie goal for weight loss, might as well just eat less.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    According to my hrm, yoga and strength training are worthless for a calorie burn. Burning only 104 calories in a yoga class...can I have my hour back
    Burning calories isn't the purpose of yoga. Do you say the same thing about the hours and hours you spend just sleeping every single day? It seems like such a waste.
    l_bc23bb79.jpg

I just wanted to bump, to get in.... but, Nooooooooo, never say sleeping is a waste. I LOVE sleeping !
  • sassyjae21
    Options

Insanity once barely happens.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    I think this is very rare....and a lot of people over estimate. I only came close to burning 1000 calories ONCE while doing turbojam, when I first started to lose weight. Every other time, i was usually around 700. More often now, I tend to burn 500.

ETA - for individuals who feel like they need to challenge how I get the number for my calorie burn, I use a Bodymedia Armband.

LOL@need to challenge.

I've been on MFP long enough to see a recurring theme between unrealistic burns and unexpected plateaus/failure to progress. It's fascinating really, the certainty with which people are convinced their numbers are accurate even when their results don't support their confidence in the numbers.

Oh, sure, there are a lot of variables at play here...I mean, who's to say that my own calculation of non-exercise burn isn't estimated too high, which means my exercise burns are too low and the inaccuracies are buried when netted...

...but I'm sticking with my position that *most* people who think they are burning >900 calories in a single session most likely are not.
    In the interest of Science(TM), I compared my workout from last Thursday as measured by my BodyMedia Fit and Polar F11. Holy systematic error, Batman!

I took a 1 hour class with approximately 40 minutes of step and 20 minutes of abs/stretch/cooldown, then did about 40 minutes of mobility work on a foam roller (I've got lots of issues :laugh: ).

Polar F11: Max HR: 183, Avg HR: 135 (reasonable because an hour of that workout was reclining/pretty relaxed). Calories reported: 962! :noway:

BodyMedia Fit: Moderate activity: 39 minutes, Vigorous activity: 18 minutes: total activity: 57 minutes (again, makes sense, given how much time was spent on my back). Average METS: 3.7. Calories reported: 501.

Went back and looked at the data from that Zumba class I remember the HRM said I burned over 1000 calories on. 499 calories burned. :mad: I distinctly remember getting a protein brownie afterwards. I remember reading the calories thinking "not bad" until I had already eaten it and noticed that there were two servings per package, and had all but wiped out all the calories I just burned.:explode:

You see? THIS is why the really knowledgeable experts tell you that you exercise for fitness and eat a deficit of calories to lose weight! You can't out-exercise a bad diet.

I have a polar ft4 and it never tells me anything that high!! Maybe your batteries are wonky or something. That's why i never eat back my exercise calories unless I have work out a LOT, and i mean a lot. Even then, i'll eat back half.

Don't think so. I've had it for probably 10 years and the results are consistent throughout the years and multiple battery changes and even multiple chest transmitter straps.
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Heart rate is related to oxygen used. An extremely fit 120 lb woman running 1 mile, her heart rate monitor shows minimal burn. Have an unfit woman with the same height and weight run that same mile, and her HR monitor shows an extremely different burn. Yet the same amount of energy (calories) was used. The difference being the amount of oxygen used.
  • abickford82
    Options
    I used to be a long distance runner, it was easy to burn 500-700 calories an hour of running non-stop, so if you have a 8 mile training day, I'd easily burn at or over 900 calories a day. I regularly burned that much about 5x a week. It's really not that hard.
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    Options
    ~10-ish mile runs will do that much. Depending on the persons weight, perhaps as high as 1200.
  • Spewze72
    Spewze72 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    For all those using HRMs, do you deduct your BMR from the gross cal burn your gadget gives you? For example, my BMR is 1676 which works out at approx 1.2 cals per min to keep me alive. So if I walk for 58 mins and my Polar H7 gives me a cals burned reading of 368, I deduct 58 mins x 1.2 from the total. Giving me a net figure of 298 or so to put in my diary.

Quite a few of the gadgets out there have this deduction built in, but I'm not 100% sure on mine so I deduct it anyway...maybe some people are not deducting this, hence the bigger numbers? Just a thought.

The only time I topped 1000 was a days gardening (1800 - net). Running certainly burns the fastest (swimming not far behind), but being short and fat I can't sustain wobbly hippo shuffling for as long as I can brisk walking. Or swimming. I have my own floats.
  • sassyjae21
    Options

LOL@need to challenge.

Don't think so. I've had it for probably 10 years and the results are consistent throughout the years and multiple battery changes and even multiple chest transmitter straps.

Well that would piss me off then and that could EASILY mess someone up. ugh
  • Ctrum69
    Ctrum69 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    How is the polar determining your caloric burn? What controls do you have over size/weight/age/etc?

I compare my Basis B1 (which is not an exercise HRM, it's just a daily tracker, and uses things like ahr, perspiration vs ambient temp, etc, to track daily burn), to my Polar bluetooth which reads into Endomondo and get, not equal, but nowhere near as wildly divergant numbers as you do.

I tend to average the two, IE:

If my B1 says I burned 2000 calories yesterday, and I didn't do any exercise at all, and it says I burned 2500 today, when I walked 2 miles and did half an hour of DDPYoga, and my Polar is telling me that was 800Kcal for those two things, I'll figure reality is in the middle, and probably at 625 or 650 or so.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calories_burned.htm <<< I think I will use this calculator MFP gave me 411 this one gives me 296
  • jackjb2
    jackjb2 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    doctors have patients
  • Mommybug2
    Mommybug2 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Others make very valid points. You can't go by what someone else has entered. I would also suggest you check your HRM. I had an Oregon Scientific which always gave me a REALLY low calorie burn. I recently noticed it was getting lower and lower and started watching my Heart Rate while using it and it would dip down to 80 during high intensity segments. Sometimes it would just go to zero for 10 minutes. Just bought a new Polar FT4 and it is much closer in estimate to the one I replaced with the Oregon Scientific (but it didn't have a strap so I wanted one with a strap and the Oregon was free).

Today I did two twenty minute cardio circuit routines. My Oregon estimated 123 calories for the 40 minutes. The Polar FT4 estimated 301. Same workout different HRM. It is nice to feel I am getting proper credit for busing my *kitten* again.

That said I can burn @600 calories on the Ellipical in 40 minutes which is double what I burn when doing a DVD (Insanity, Jillian Micheals, ect.). The reason is during these circuit burning workouts my Heart Rate drops while I am doing the strength training segments. So yes I burn less calories but overall I am saving more muscle and building more stregth. And we know the more muscle you are able to keep while losing the faster your metabolism will be ;)
  • Lakky1
    Lakky1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi I only excercise on machines that has the timer, fat burner, Miles and calories burned calculator on. This way i know exactly what i am burning.

Also I have been told doing 30 mins in the sauna on 8 to 100 degrees also burns 300 to 500 calories. After each work out i go in to the sauna for 30 mins.
  • DPernet
    DPernet Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    How are people getting 900 calries burned in a workout. I do insanity etc and still burn no where close to that.

:laugh: Insanity is normally something I do as a warm up, before I head down to the Gym and do an hour of weights and a couple hours of running/cycling and/or swimming

:flowerforyou: