Emotional eating

Options
I've noticed when something is bothering me I really crave sweets, maily pastries and chocolate... How can I get over this? I suppose that becoming aware of it is the first step... Now what?

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Now you need replacements habits, something new to do when those cravings hit.

Some suggestions for alternatives:
    meditation
    stretching
    put on your favorite song and dance
    go for a walk
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Find sweets that won't hurt your diet plan. Hershey's kisses, Skinny Cow candies, fudgsicles, whatever it is that satisfies the craving while still staying within your goals.

The other thing to do that will help more with long-term goals is to find other ways to channel your stress. Journaling, long baths, yoga, kickboxing, etc. Whatever it is that works for you that will help soothe the emotion before you get to the food stage.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I have always believed that I am an emotional eater, but after I started eating better, I don't get the urges to binge anymore; I do get upset from time to time, but the chocolate and chips and cookies etc aren't really that tempting anymore. I've figured out I must have been severely undernourished (and fat, yup) and suffered from unstable blood sugar levels. Your diary is half empty, BTW.
  • fitphoenix22
    Options
    I agree with the others, you need to find an outlet that's healthier and try it instead. Running is my other outlet, but I'm not always in a position to drop what I'm doing and go run... so in times like that, I pop in a piece of my favorite gum and 9 times out of 10, it helps with the craving.
  • lambchoplewis
    Options
    I am an emotional eater and have looked into a though process called "urge surfing". Not an expert on this but I looked it up and have been using some of the techniques. It talks about an urge to binge like a wave that come, peaks and goes. They do repeat but eventually the storm will pass. It is not fool proof but, it is another technique.
  • whatthedeuce23
    whatthedeuce23 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I've found if I'm craving something and I have a water or raw veggies and hummus instead, a) it fills me and b) I usually forget about the craving...if it's particularly strong, give yourself an out - like a low-cal starbucks (skinny lattes and mochas are 100cals or less in a tall!) or a smaller serving of the sweet stuff and be meticulous about logging it!
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I get the same cravings sometimes, and fruit is my absolute go-to for sweet cravings. Just be sure that whatever you have is ripe, or it tastes crappy. I just had an orange about an hour ago, and it was delicious. Good luck! :drinker: