Standing At Work

Options
I recently decided to raise my desk and monitor so that I can work standing, after reading all the bad stuff about sitting 8 hours everyday...

However, I notice my hips hurt by the end of the day, and my legs seem swelling a bit, too. Will this get better after a while? Anything can improve this?

Replies

• Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Hmm, not sure about the hip pain, but when I first started working as a cashier at a grocery store, my feet and legs were sore for about a week before my body adjusted.

Depending on which part of your legs are hurting, I would just stretch it out, and bend your knees when you can. Maybe start small, and only stand for a small part of the day and build it up until you're standing the whole 8 hours?
  • npeters519
    npeters519 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    How is your posture? Remember to keep your hips tucked so they are under your shoulders and try to stand with your feet shoulder width apart. I'm a nurse and I stand, quite literally, all day long. Posture is everything! (and good shoes of course!)
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Movement is the key. You dont have to stand all day - you can alternate sitting and standing. If you do stand all day, dont just stand still in one spot - that is not much better than sitting in one spot. Pace, switch back and forth, bend over and touch your toes, etc. Whether sitting or standing, the key to feeling pretty good is to keep some kind of regular movement throughout the day. Even "active" sitting (sit on edge of seat with stomach tight, etc.)
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    (and good shoes of course!)

shoes can make or break you.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I don't think standing all day is any better for you than sitting. I would suggest alternating between both, but when I tended bar as a second job, I had knee and back pain all the time from standing in the same place for hours on end.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I would just make a point of getting up and away from the desk for say 5 mins every hour. Stretch, walk to the washroom, go get some water, whatever

Sitting for 8 hrs continuously isn't good and neither is sitting in front of the computer continually for 8 hrs, not only does your body need a break so do your eyes.

I am pretty sure we actually have something in our policies for the people who work at desks and are in front of computers all day. Personally I don't have a desk job and I am lucky enough to be able to move throughout the day.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I dont think I can stand standing all day anyway. Yes, I am alternating the two. thank you everyone. :flowerforyou:
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Being on your feet all day isn't great for your circulation either. Swollen feet, varicose veins, joint problems. Take breaks sitting and standing since you have a choice. Move around, do calf raises to stretch.

Edit - see you posted again before I sent this. Good idea!