how in the hell are these people getting 900 calorie burns

Options

Replies

• Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Hi I only excercise on machines that has the timer, fat burner, Miles and calories burned calculator on. This way i know exactly what i am burning.

Also I have been told doing 30 mins in the sauna on 8 to 100 degrees also burns 300 to 500 calories. After each work out i go in to the sauna for 30 mins.
    Oh my.
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    going by my fitbit i can burn anywhere betwen 1200-1500 calories every tues and thurs playing basketball for two hours so it is possible
  • Ctrum69
    Ctrum69 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Hi I only excercise on machines that has the timer, fat burner, Miles and calories burned calculator on. This way i know exactly what i am burning.

Also I have been told doing 30 mins in the sauna on 8 to 100 degrees also burns 300 to 500 calories. After each work out i go in to the sauna for 30 mins.

Well, you know the average the machine thinks you are burning.

As an example, I'm 6'1 and weigh 220, and could stand to lose about 20 lbs or so. When I get on the machine, it's going to ask my weight, and calculate calories from there.

If someone else, who is 6'1 and 220, and has 5% body fat gets on the machine, it's going to give them exactly the same calorie burn.. and it's CLEAR they are going to be burning a higher rate of calories in the same distance that I am.

Also, I have a long stride.. a brisk walk for me is a jog for someone a few inches shorter than me.. which is going to put their heart rate higher for the same distance as mine, etc etc.

It's not an exact science. But hey, counting calories is not an exact science either.

if you _really_ want to know, find a place locally that will do a complete physical workup with a treadmill, breathing analyzer, and trodes.. they'll give you a much more accurate indication of what you are actually burning at what pace and what duration.

And it will be accurate until your body composition changes a bit, and then be close, but not accurate anymore. :)
  • silverlining84
    silverlining84 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    There's a hike I do that burns approx 1000 cals in a 90 min period. It's a steep incline and it gets my heart rate up. Definitely not impossible to burn 900 cals per workout.
  • atactic
    atactic Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm getting over 900 calories in on hour of Swimming. I think that this is real as I'm moving my entire body (arms and legs , tight core, etc) However, I'm 6 feet tall and weigh 195 lbs...
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    How is the polar determining your caloric burn? What controls do you have over size/weight/age/etc?

I compare my Basis B1 (which is not an exercise HRM, it's just a daily tracker, and uses things like ahr, perspiration vs ambient temp, etc, to track daily burn), to my Polar bluetooth which reads into Endomondo and get, not equal, but nowhere near as wildly divergant numbers as you do.

I tend to average the two, IE:

If my B1 says I burned 2000 calories yesterday, and I didn't do any exercise at all, and it says I burned 2500 today, when I walked 2 miles and did half an hour of DDPYoga, and my Polar is telling me that was 800Kcal for those two things, I'll figure reality is in the middle, and probably at 625 or 650 or so.
    The F11 lets you enter your activity level, age, height, weight, and also tests something called OwnIndex, which you're supposed to test monthly. You have to lie quietly wearing the band and watch, so I assume it's doing something with your RHR.

I like the general idea of the Basis, but for the fact that its HRM doesn't work during exercise, so you still need a chest-strap HRM for telemetry during workouts. I've already got the BodyMedia Fit, which has the same metrics as the Basis (besides the optical HRM) and the chest-strap HRM, so I can't justify a Basis right now. :frown:
  • scottstephens79
    scottstephens79 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm a slightly bigger guy who asked a question about this in the forums about a week ago. I'm 5'11" and 200. Doing the P90X exercises will be about 650-750 calorie per hour, an additional 200 calories for the disks that have the ab ripper X on them. I do bring it, I'm quite motivated these days and my heart rate (according to my Polar F7) stays between 140 and 170 the full time.
    It seems to me my burns are too high but I am losing weight at the recommended pace.
  • Ctrum69
    Ctrum69 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    How is the polar determining your caloric burn? What controls do you have over size/weight/age/etc?

I compare my Basis B1 (which is not an exercise HRM, it's just a daily tracker, and uses things like ahr, perspiration vs ambient temp, etc, to track daily burn), to my Polar bluetooth which reads into Endomondo and get, not equal, but nowhere near as wildly divergant numbers as you do.

I tend to average the two, IE:

If my B1 says I burned 2000 calories yesterday, and I didn't do any exercise at all, and it says I burned 2500 today, when I walked 2 miles and did half an hour of DDPYoga, and my Polar is telling me that was 800Kcal for those two things, I'll figure reality is in the middle, and probably at 625 or 650 or so.
    The F11 lets you enter your activity level, age, height, weight, and also tests something called OwnIndex, which you're supposed to test monthly. You have to lie quietly wearing the band and watch, so I assume it's doing something with your RHR.

I like the general idea of the Basis, but for the fact that its HRM doesn't work during exercise, so you still need a chest-strap HRM for telemetry during workouts. I've already got the BodyMedia Fit, which has the same metrics as the Basis (besides the optical HRM) and the chest-strap HRM, so I can't justify a Basis right now. :frown:

The basis makes no bones about not being an exercise monitor, and i didn't expect it to be. I totally figured i'd continue using the polar for that purpose.

It really has been eye opening for me, to be able to see the metrics day to day. They continually fine tune and update the algorythyms too, which is a plus.

So, like I said, i average. But wrist HRM's are notoriously inaccurate at tracking exertion HR anyway.

They'll ping an average, then compare it with distance judged by steps, and kinda munge it that way.

What it boils down to, is it's ALL guesswork. Just pick consistant metrics of guesswork, and stick with em. :)
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    Heart rate is related to oxygen used. An extremely fit 120 lb woman running 1 mile, her heart rate monitor shows minimal burn. Have an unfit woman with the same height and weight run that same mile, and her HR monitor shows an extremely different burn. Yet the same amount of energy (calories) was used. The difference being the amount of oxygen used.

so your saying the HRM reads erroneously high for one who is out of shape (you say the amount of energy used between the two subjects is the same).
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    You want to achieve a 900+ cal burn when you earlier asked how fast you'd lose weight on 800 cals a day.

I mean, not that I'm implying you have serious issues or anything, but...
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    How are people getting 900 calries burned in a workout. I do insanity etc and still burn no where close to that.

:laugh: Insanity is normally something I do as a warm up, before I head down to the Gym and do an hour of weights and a couple hours of running/cycling and/or swimming

:flowerforyou:

i'd typically go to the gym 3 days a week on insanity. but certainly didn't get a more intense work out at the gym.

most people don't have that much time to dedicate to exercise
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    going by my fitbit i can burn anywhere betwen 1200-1500 calories every tues and thurs playing basketball for two hours so it is possible

I think these numbers are high my loop says I burned around that on my very brisk walk lol
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I get high burns and I am not overweight. It's pretty simple. I do use machines that you punch in info. I actually punch in weight lower than I am...and then deduct 10% off the final number. I had read that's a way to get an actual burn. I put my age in as well. And I work on the AMT at the highest level and get my heart rate up. It takes awhile as I am in good shape..but I did get it up there because I push myself and that's good machine to use.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    It depends on the speed, I used the numbers just as an example, for how big a difference weight can be. For my weight it would be around 600 calories for a 10k run, which is why I used this number, although obviously one would need to be in pretty good shape to do a 10k run in an hour - not me :)
    Based on a running calorie formula: 60 kgr*10k*1.036 = 622 calories, and obviously double the weight would mean double the calories, so e.g. a very muscular tall man of 120 kgs could burn more than 1000 in an hour. I highly doubt the average poster on the site (or the average person in general) is in that good shape and with that much muscle weight, but for sure some are.
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Heart rate is related to oxygen used. An extremely fit 120 lb woman running 1 mile, her heart rate monitor shows minimal burn. Have an unfit woman with the same height and weight run that same mile, and her HR monitor shows an extremely different burn. Yet the same amount of energy (calories) was used. The difference being the amount of oxygen used.

so your saying the HRM reads erroneously high for one who is out of shape (you say the amount of energy used between the two subjects is the same).

Winner winner chicken dinner.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    a
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    How are people getting 900 calries burned in a workout. I do insanity etc and still burn no where close to that.

:laugh: Insanity is normally something I do as a warm up, before I head down to the Gym and do an hour of weights and a couple hours of running/cycling and/or swimming

:flowerforyou:

i'd typically go to the gym 3 days a week on insanity. but certainly didn't get a more intense work out at the gym.

most people don't have that much time to dedicate to exercise

QFT
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Well not necessarily. Depends on how the HRM is calibrated. If it reads a correct calorie burn for the highly fit person, it will read too high for the unfit person; if it reads correctly for the unfit person, it will read too low for the fit person.
  • mochamommy
    mochamommy Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I was simply asking what kind of workout gets those burns. I guess I am either not heavy enough or working hard enough to burn like that. And yes, I consider being so fat that I have skipped going to swimming pools, the lake, and any activity that involves wearing shorts or a bathing suit for the last two years a serious issue. I try not to even look at myself in my undergarments in mirrors.
  • free_state
    free_state Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You can't really compare yourself to others regardless. Everyone has a different body and a different fitness level.

I average about 14,000 calories burned a month via running. However, I run a fair amount (around 50 miles a week) and I am at or near my goal weight.