Okay to eat same foods over and over?

Options
Just curious if it is okay to eat the same meals over and over........ I always eat yogurt in the morning for breakfast, and I eat often some sort of burrito on a wheat shell with either beans and a little cheese or tofu

Replies

• MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    If you like it! Sooner or later you will get bored with it though. Get some ideas for other foods you might like and try them out. I find that if I switch my breakfast on the weekends I don't get bored with what I eat mon thru fri.
  • ron2282
    ron2282 Posts: 2,772 Member
    Options
    I eat the same breakfast and snacks almost every day and I haven't had any problem.
  • Sassy_Cass
    Sassy_Cass Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    The only issue I see with eating the same foods all the time is your long term ability to stick to healthy eating. You need to find a balance that will work for you in the long run not just for the period of time that you are trying to lose a few pounds.

Do what you need to now but keep in mind that you need a long term solution not just a quick fix.
  • lilac67
    lilac67 Posts: 311
    Options
    Dr Oz recommends having fewer choices. He said that having the same breakfast and lunch help keep you on track. So, I think it's ok. I have almost the same breakfast everyday.
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I do it.
  • kwebster1956
    kwebster1956 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've read lots of nutrition books, and they recommend rotating your foods every three days. Otherwise you can develop food sensitivities or an allergy. I eat eggs everyday and have for years and that has not happened to me! Ultimately I think food rotation is a GOOD idea, just really HARD to do!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,989 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: if I lived alone I'd eat the same thing every day......my darling hubby likes variety.......when he was gone for three weeks last spring I ate almost exactly the same thing every day.
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I heard the same thing from Dr Oz, if you take the guess work out of meal planning your consistency will steer you away from bad spur-of-the-moment choices.

I don't agree that the same food can get boring, keep enjoying what you love as long as it’s healthy.

I personally eat 1 cup Great Value frozen vegetables and 1/2 can of tuna canned in water daily for lunch for about 140 cals total and love it! For years all I ate for breakfast was All Bran (my dad has eaten only raisin bran for 25+ years, consistency must be genetic, lol!) only recently have I increased my breakfast calories since I am hungriest in the morning. Now I have ½ cup quick oats, ¼ cup all bran, 1/8 cup frozen raspberries, and ½ scoop chocolate protein powder for about 400 calories of super filler food. Even with such a high caloric breakfast my days are still 1200-1300 calories.
  • dansu2000
    Options
    I tend to eat the same "group" of foods for a while, then I alternate. For example I ate a banana and peanut butter for breakfast for several months every day and now I'm eating a bowl of Fiber One cereal with Almond Milk. I may change back to the first one again after a while but I'm pretty content eating the same thing. I say whatever works for you:)
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    i eat omlettes all the time..i never get bored
  • tamara003
    Options
    I eat the same breakfast also, l have a really healthy cereal with blueberries and almond milk, been doing that for a few years, and l look forward to eating it everytime. The key is eating what you like l think.. :)
  • melanie92
    melanie92 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I've read that it's good to eat different foods so you get a balance of vitamins and such. I tend to eat the same things also, so I try to mix up my veggies at least to get different colors.
  • Loseittoo
    Loseittoo Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I eat the same foods all the time. I vary here and there but its basically the same foods every day.
  • Jennili7
    Options
    I've been eating a roast beef sandwich with pepper jack cheese, a cinnamon applesauce and chips for lunch for about 2 months now...sooooo good!! :P I'm a creature of habit..plus it's easy!
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I eat the same breakfast often, but for dinner I change it up a lot.
  • sapphire983
    Options
    As long as you don't get sick of eating the same food, go ahead! Try to change it up though. I know someone who ate chicken and broccoli over and over again and now they can't even smell chicken without throwing up.
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    I eat pretty much the same thing for breakfast along with most of the people that have chimed in so far but for lunch and dinner it varies between a few meals and I have a cheat day once or twice a week. My post workout meal also varies between 3-4 meals. My snacks are almonds, carrots, cucumbers as of late and if I want variety there sometimes I'll use some ranch dressing or some salsa to spice things up. The main staples of my meals are spinach, turkey/chicken breast slices, tuna, eggs, sprouted grain bread or tortilla wraps, milk, cereal, bananas, frozen fruits. I eat a lot of wraps, they're great if I'm lazy and really low in calories.

Just so you know.. Salsa is GREAT to spice things up and insanely low in calories. I think it's about 10cals in 2tbsp. Look for one with low sodium though. I get Newman's Own - Medium Chunky.
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Can't sleep at night? Read my food diary. Breakfast and snacks are almost always the same.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Just curious if it is okay to eat the same meals over and over........ I always eat yogurt in the morning for breakfast, and I eat often some sort of burrito on a wheat shell with either beans and a little cheese or tofu

I have eaten roughly the same grub for the last six months, I have been okay.

The only thing I would say is this, once you start to get just a tiny bit bored with that same food (and it is highly likely you will), ensure you change the very next meal. Boredom can be very destructive.

Until then, enjoy!
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I believe that as long as it is healthy it should be fine.

I have read that some groups believe that it may not be so good only because you risk the possibility of eliminating certain nutrients from your diet.

However, if you are not repeated everything everyday, then I don't think that "warning" is really valid.

For example, my breakfast and snacks tend to stay the same all the time just because they are healthy, fast & easy to make, and they taste great. But my lunches and dinners vary A LOT. So I know I am getting the whole compliment of nutrition in my total daily meals even though 3 of the 5 meals tend to stay the same.

I personally have loads of healthy recipes for those "variable" meals, because I have experienced that boredom that other users mentioned earlier. I've only experienced it when the whole day of foods was repeated, though, not just one or 2 meals.