High fat low carbs, and moderation experiment.

Options
So I've been eating a high fat, low carb diet since January 10th and I've lost six pounds. I also exercise regularly which probably helps. I've done the bulletproof coffee for over a month too, but I'm concerned about my overall fat intake. I know sugar and carbs cause inflammation and that it may be the true culprit in heart disease. But the studies I've read all point to fat as the culprit.

Now I'm on the phase two of my experiment. I'm going to try a well balance calorie restricted diet. This time adding in more carbs from more nutritious sources like blueberries and oatmeal. Any advice for/experiences to share?

Aaron

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    Well, if someone was consuming a high refined carb diet with a fair amount of added sugar which could describe the SAD diet along with an increase in saturated fat and trans fats which again is common in this diet, with increased weight gain is basically the prefect scenario for a cluster of negative health markers that will put people at risk for cardiovascular disease. Raised fasting blood glucose or diabetes, increased CRP (chronic inflammation) insulin resistance, abdominal obesity, high serum triglycerides, low HDL and poor lipid markers called dislipidemia, raised blood pressure/hypertension and a few more I can't remember. In conjunction with a sedentary lifestyle, age, genetics, low physical activity, basically little to no exercise.

Exercise and dietary lifestyle changes including weight loss will be the most effective long term plan to reduce most of these risk factors including inflammation. Reducing carbs further which can be with just increased protein or more aggresively with increased fat consumption will further reduce these health markers but only if these are lifestyle changes that last a lifetime.

In a person that is a healthy weight and consuming a mostly whole food and minimally processed foods would not have most of these indicators, then I would think that whatever way you want to split your macro's will have minimal effect on inflammation.
  • buddybopper
    Options
    Thanks for the response. I should add that when I consume less carbs, and increase fat and protein, I FEEL amazing. Maybe that's what my body wants? I also eat lots of leafy greens, and take fish oil and probiotic supplements. When I eat higher amounts of carbs, or even a bowl of oatmeal in the morning, I feel like crap for most of the day. I'm sluggish, foggy, and hungry! Finding what your body really needs is an interesting task.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    You should get your fasting blood glucose, BP and full cholesterol readings to quantify the effect of the changes, otherwise it's somewhat subjective.