I've earned 320 extra calories from exercise today?

Options
hi folks - ok, i'm a little confused on the whole idea of counting calories:

my desire is to lose about 30 pounds over the next couple of months, or something like that, and i've been allotted 1230 a day. If my workout burns 320 calories, wouldn't i be defeating the entire process if i were to then allow myself to eat an extra 320 calories on the same day...?

someone please explain?

regards,
Confused (Glenn)

Replies

• obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    Nope, because you already have a deficit built into the goal MFP sets you, so if you decide to exercise it means you get to eat more :) I wouldn't eat all the calories back though, because MFP is known to overestimate them.
  • SouthPawSings
    SouthPawSings Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    No, MFP gives you the calorie deficit already before you exercise, its' important to get those calories in and eat back at least some of those exercise calories because those are extra and if you burn off too many without giving your body something to use, you will go into starvation mode.
  • MatthewNSW
    Options
    There are people out there who will explain this a lot more thoroughly than me. However as I understand it, your calorie goal - if hit - will get you to your weight loss goal in X weeks/months etc. If you get a calorie deduction through exercise, you can either save it for extra weight loss or eat some/all of it. As long as you're not exceeding your daily total plus any extra earned through exercise, your plans should stay reasonably on course.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm totally wrong, but that's my take on it. :smile:
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    eating the extra defeats the calories used in exercise but maintains the original calorie deficit built in for your daily life.
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I cannot imagine a guy needing only 1230 calories a day, even one that sat on his a@@ all day.
  • Phill2488
    Phill2488 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    You should eat back those exercise calories cause if you don't you could crack and end up overeating. I made this mistake when I first wanted to started losing weight
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Yep, you can eat those back. Just be really careful about monitoring your calorie consumption -- track EVERYTHING, and you will still lose weight if you hit your target. If you find it is not working, you might need to "adjust" your exercise calories. I have set up my own exercises that are about 30% lower than what MFP says they are. That works out fine for me and I am able to lose weight when I stay on target with my total calorie consumption.
  • cmasonrock
    cmasonrock Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I cannot imagine a guy needing only 1230 calories a day, even one that sat on his a@@ all day.

I agree, 1230 is a very low number. If you set your goals so high you may find them out of reach. Don't use this Website to Lose Weight, Use it to get healthier and the weight will just melt off :)

= Cheers =
  • davemunger
    Options

I agree, 1230 is a very low number. If you set your goals so high you may find them out of reach. Don't use this Website to Lose Weight, Use it to get healthier and the weight will just melt off :)

= Cheers =

Really? MFP set my goal at 1,490 (sedentary lifestyle before exercise) and I am 6'2". I would think someone of average height would be right in that range.
  • JohnsElan
    Options

= Cheers =

Really? MFP set my goal at 1,490 (sedentary lifestyle before exercise) and I am 6'2". I would think someone of average height would be right in that range.

The MINIMUM recommended calorie intake for a grown man is 1500 cal/day. Less than that is a starvation diet.
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/310517-minimum-amount-of-calories-needed-per-day-to-survive/
  • davemunger
    Options
    The MINIMUM recommended calorie intake for a grown man is 1500 cal/day. Less than that is a starvation diet.
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/310517-minimum-amount-of-calories-needed-per-day-to-survive/

"Harvard Health Publications suggests women eat at least 1,200 calories daily and men get a minimum of 1,500 calories a day unless supervised by their doctors."

That's different from saying that the minimum base amount of calories before exercising is 1,500. I typically eat from 2,200 to 3,000 calories per day. I'm sure Harvard Health Publications does not recommend getting zero exercise.

That said, the OP says he wants to lose 30 pounds in two months, which is 3.75 pounds a week, and to me that is a very aggressive target. 1-2 pounds a week is probably more reasonable.