Depression and weight loss

Options
Hi

I have suffered from depression for the last 3yrs and over the last year it has steadily got worse due to work stress and ill health of other family members, I have quit my job (looking for a new one!) which I think will help but I still suffer from insomnia quite badly which leaves me feeling tired all day and really zaps my motivation. I am now about 2st overweight and really want to lose this excess weight as I am sure with less fat on me I would have more energy

Anyone got any tips or advice on coping with depression and trying to lose weight?? I am desperate for any help or tips to get me motivated whilst feeling so down

Replies

• kitticus15
    kitticus15 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Exercise... it releases happy endorphins and makes you feel better, I have suffered with depression all my life from childhood, so I understand where you are coming from, it may feel hopeless at first, but keep at it and you will notice the difference, try and fiond something you like doing, me personally, I love Zumba, I do it 4 times a week...

Hope that helps, and good luck, things will get cope-able...
  • bigonroad
    bigonroad Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hey, if you really are suffering from depression, important to make sure you've seen a doctor.

But yeh, exercise is often recommended for its impact on mood.
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    In my opinion it would be worthwhile treating the depression first and foremost. I would suggest talking with your doctor and also investigating counselling options. If neither of those are possible for financial reasons, there are lots of online resources that give tips for managing depression. There are probably also support groups in your local area.

I think the key is not to get overwhelmed with grand ambitions and unattainable goals. Set yourself small but achievable tasks, starting with something like "I will eat at least one portion of vegetables every day", and then work your way up to "I will walk for 15 minutes after dinner" (obviously alter these depending on your baseline food and activity).

Good luck. Depression is awful <3
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Not only does exercise accelerate weight loss but improves mood and aids in restful sleep. Challenge yourself and enjoy. Best of luck to you. :smile:
  • PeaceHappinessBalance
    Options
    I'm sorry you are going through depression. For me, quitting my job actually made things worse. I was more isolated, less human interaction, no feelings of gratification from doing a good job, etc. You might be completely different though!

I'm sure people will recommend that you go to a doctor, if you haven't already. What helps me honestly is taking a B Complex vitamin and two fish oils a day (I don't know if this actually works or a placebo effect). Also running and exercise in general, but mainly running. There is something about running that really relaxes my mind and makes me in a good mood. Eating whole, organic food as much as I can and trying to limit my carbs. When I eat junk, I really do get sadder.

When I am feeling down and I can't run, I honestly take a hot shower and sort of meditate. I'm not trying to diminish depression by saying taking a shower or a vitamin is a cure, but these are things that help me. I notice if I stay on top of these things, I am less likely to have depression feelings, etc.
  • sc9576
    sc9576 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for taking the time to reply to me and for the advice I am under my GP and am on antidepressants which I think is a good start

lauraloveslav - thank you for that tip about small tasks as at the moment I am focusing on the 2st I have to lose rather than breaking it into more manageable chunks

:flowerforyou:
  • Corissia
    Corissia Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    You probably already know that exercise increases endorphines which makes you feel good. I would say force yourself to do a really good workout to help a little with your mood. I am saying force yourself because you probably will not feel like doing anything but put on a pop song with a quick uplifting beat, tie on your shoes and go for a walk. If you can jog for even 5 seconds do so then walk to bring your heart rate down and once it is down where you have your breath jog again. Start with maybe 25 minutes and add 5 minutes the next week. ( Please excuse the typo's)

I hope this helps.
  • imjolly
    imjolly Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Exercise. As hard as it may sound since you are not in a good place, just do it and don't stop. You will feel so much better. Maybe not all day but at least while you are working out and after. Over time you will feel better more often than not. Plus, if you workout hard you won't have the energy to think about depressing things and you'll want to sleep. Not getting enough sleep will just make your depression worse. So the best thing you can do for YOU is exercise.

Good Luck!!
  • Tig_
    Tig_ Posts: 32
    Options
    Hey,

Welcome to MFP :)

I can relate a lot to depression and weight gain, although a lot of my weight gain came as a side effect from my mood stabilisers which is pretty frustrating!

I hope you find it helpful here.

x
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Exercise! And see a doctor. And exercise! I know we all sound like a broken record, but.....exercise! Even if all you can do is go outside and take a walk. It will improve your mood and your sleep.

I hope you start to feel better very soon. Good luck!
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    really make an effort to stick to a "normal" sleep schedule. lack of sleep, or sleeping at strange hours is known to result in increased hunger. When your internal clock is messed up, the body has trouble regulating.

also, as others have posted, exercise. for me...exercise is as crucial as my medication. regular exercise really does have an amazing effect on us, besides the obvious physical fitness benefits. it's both an immediate AND a long-term mood elevator. as difficult as it may be to get yourself moving sometimes, you will never regret having gone, and that's what I remind myself when I'm not in the mood: an hour from now, how do I want to feel?
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Depression can be resolved by changing what you eat. I'm living proof. Malnourishment does affect the brain, and obese people are very often deficient in vital micronutrients; hence why one overeats uncontrollably. BED was NOT a psychological disorder, but a symptom of malnutrition.

Nothing else worked for me; not drugs (is anyone born with, or develop, a deficiency of pharmaceuticals?) , not counselling, not exercise, not anything, until I changed the FOOD.
  • sc9576
    sc9576 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I am going to try and walk for 10mins a day then gradually increase it - Im not sure about running as I am very large chested even with a sports bra it hurts!
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Is anyone born with, or develop, a deficiency of pharmaceuticals?

I think you fundamentally misunderstand what medication is and how it works. But to answer your question, yes, some people are born with malfunctioning neurotransmitters or have otherwise-faulty brain chemistry. It very often manifests as clinical depression and can be treated successfully with medication.
  • raisinfran
    Options
    When I was struggling I took power naps. Fatigue is a known symptom of depression, and I just felt like sleeping ALL THE TIME. But if i told myself it was ok to take a little nap, then I would wake up and feel able to exercise. Also, I highly suggest going to the gym, but especially if you have a friend to go with. The encouragement I got from working out with someone else not only helped me with motivation to give it all I got in exercise, but also helped with the other parts of my life affected by depression as well. Just a couple of things that worked for me :) Sincere best of luck!!
  • seleniumbaby
    Options
    I am depressed as well (although not for nearly as long as you--about six months to a year), and I can vouch for the incredible effects of exercise. Running really makes me feel good after the fact, but it is near impossible to get going when one's mental state is down in the dumps. I have to lose some of the weight I've gained from stress eating as well, so you have an ally here! Also: don't be like me and use baking as a coping skill. The number one worst hobby I have picked up while depressed. *goes to cry in a corner*
  • absinthia70
    absinthia70 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Is anyone born with, or develop, a deficiency of pharmaceuticals?

I think you fundamentally misunderstand what medication is and how it works. But to answer your question, yes, some people are born with malfunctioning neurotransmitters or have otherwise-faulty brain chemistry. It very often manifests as clinical depression and can be treated successfully with medication.

This. Taking meds for a brain chemistry imbalance is absolutely no different than taking meds for say, high blood pressure or any other medical condition. The sad part is that this is so misunderstood and meds for depression are looked on as "different" or a "weakness" of some sort. Bullsh*t. If your brain chemistry is not functioning as it should be, for god's sake, take care of it as you would any other part of your body!
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Depression can be resolved by changing what you eat. I'm living proof. Malnourishment does affect the brain, and obese people are very often deficient in vital micronutrients; hence why one overeats uncontrollably. BED was NOT a psychological disorder, but a symptom of malnutrition.
    this is SO true**. I used to eat so much, but it wasn't balanced. a lot of bread, sugary cereals, candy and chocolate, mac and cheese. I ate some more nutritious things too, like fruit, and sometimes non-starchy vegetables...but the majority of my diet was carbs and fat. That doesn't mean you have to start cutting out all bread or giving up chocolate, I still have both every day.. It just means to make sure you are eating a variety of nutritious foods like a variety of fruits and vegetables and lean proteins and whole grains...I found that when I added more of those things, I had less of a compulsion to overeat or binge...not just because my belly was full, but because my nutritional needs are being met.

** I don't think BED is strictly a symptom of malnutrition. I think for a lot of people it definitely is a psychological issue, and for most people it's a combination of both.
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I have chronic depression that cannot be managed without medication. See a psychiatrist if you haven't already to talk about medication options! They help a lot.

Second thing for me is keeping a very strict schedule to avoid too much down time. I keep myself busy so I don't fall behind on things and so that I am always occupied with something. I eat at the same time, work out at the same time, study at the same time each day. I make sure to get outside for at least 30 minutes each day, but if the weather is too terrible I still make sure to keep windows open. Sunlight helps me a lot. And get out of the procrastination-depression cycle. You don't do something because you don't feel like it, but the you feel bad later that you didn't do it, and feel worse, and so now you REALLY don't want to do it, etc. just nip it in the bud. Do it, and if you feel like **** the whole time, so be it. Better than feeling like **** doing nothing productive.
  • bjg2993
    bjg2993 Posts: 107
    Options
    Number 1 with depression, especially seeing as you are no longer working - keep yourself busy. It's hard not to feel down if you are bored and alone all day which makes it a lot worse, from my experience anyway. Also make sure to get out the house for a few hours at least every other day, being cooped up drives even the best of us to feel bad, even if we're at a normal, happy state.

Use your free time wisely - look for jobs as you say you are, spend time preparing nice and healthy meals, and start exercising. Also do things you find fun, take up a new hobby, spend time learning and reading? Plenty of things to do, and if you feel like you are achieving things it can work wonders for your mood.

Use this darker period of your life to change and enrich it. You only need to start off small, and things will build up and you will recover :)