Body fat % test options

Options
I want to get my body fat % tested and was just wondering what everyone's recommendations are for accuracy...
Obviously things like BODPOD and Dexa scans are going to be most accurate, but I'm not super keen on spending that kind of money at the moment. I know digital scales are rubbish... How accurate are callipers or measurement calculations? Are there any other options I'm not aware of?

Replies

• jordymils
    jordymils Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    anyone??
  • Shaky44
    Shaky44 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert, but I think hydrostatic weighing is usually considered the best value/accuracy trade-off.

http://www.fitstop-lab.com/bodyfat.htm
  • birdiecs
    birdiecs Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Calipers, when done properly are from what I've read the best low tech option.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I have never got this tested on me but I know my body fat is going downward...because I do jumping jack in front the same mirror, now I see a huge difference. I also like to pinch the same spot on my stomach everyday, and the difference is very obvious, too.
    :bigsmile:
  • Entaro
    Entaro Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hydrostatic weighing is the best option, and generally isn't a big deal to get done either. Check your local university and see if they have a measurement system in their physiology lab. When I checked in with mine, it was 50 dollars and an hour to get it done. Super simple.
  • JazmineYoli
    JazmineYoli Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Omron. I bought mine from Amazon for $33. Works good, and inexpensive
    0007379630630_500X500.jpg
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    is there any reason you need to know a number?

I dont know mine, but i take monthly progress pics to see a difference... the actual number doesnt matter to me.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options

I dont know mine, but i take monthly progress pics to see a difference... the actual number doesnt matter to me.

Having an actual number is useful for a variety of reasons: it can provide you with a personalized idea of your goal weight, it can help you have an idea of how much lean body mass (muscle) you may be losing along with fat, and knowing the amount of fat on your body allows you to better adjust your deficit to levels that your body can handle for an extended period of time without negative effects.

I've used the tape-measure methods. I am not sure I trust them though.
  • Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Do you have a university nearby? A lot of them do bod pods and similar tests for a very reasonable price.
  • albayin
    Options
    Omron. I bought mine from Amazon for $33. Works good, and inexpensive
    0007379630630_500X500.jpg
    sorry for barging in...this is a piece of ...My husband and I played a lot with this thing at home by changing the weight, fitness level, and the way we grab the handles. the number changed every time. Some people say it's good for trending...but I dont think it's even good for that...I can get my body fat from 13% to 25% within 3 tries.
  • frecklesandfries
    frecklesandfries Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Although it can be pricey, I would look into various places that offer the bod pod. My trainer did the calipers and I was at 26% and the bodpod put me at 34%. ANother bonus to the bodpod is that it measures your c02 output and gives you a more accurate BMR calculation. The cost for me to get in the bodpod included the bodpod results and a nutrition consultation!
  • albayin
    Options

Having an actual number is useful for a variety of reasons: it can provide you with a personalized idea of your goal weight, it can help you have an idea of how much lean body mass (muscle) you may be losing along with fat, and knowing the amount of fat on your body allows you to better adjust your deficit to levels that your body can handle for an extended period of time without negative effects.

I've used the tape-measure methods. I am not sure I trust them though.

These are all good reasons, however, I still think since we can hardly find anything relatively cheap and accessible to measure, might just go with old fashioned ways: visual, clothes fitting, and strength. If I didn't lose any strength and actually increased it, it means I didn't lose much lean body mass, and if I look more toned/ripped, it means I did lose some layer of fat...agreed?
  • lsorci919
    lsorci919 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I just ordered the calipers. Hoping they give me a some what accurate %. They were pretty cheap so I'm not expecting wonders but I've read that calipers are pretty accurate if you don't want to go pay to have one of the more expensive tests done.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Calipers arent necessarily accurate...But if you have someone that is trained to use them correctly you can use them to measure progress. Alternatively you can measure yourself with measuring tape to track progress.

As far as I know there are accuracy issues with nearly every type of measure.