Can I lose body fat eating at maintenance?

Options
2»

Replies

• devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I am eating just below maintenance and I am gaining muscle. You don't have to get fat to gain muscle, you need to be efficient in your food and exercise choices.

This woman is the example I am following:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/californiagirl2012

Lol no.

Great example.... </sarcasm>

This is a genuine question - why is that user so disliked round here? I obviously don't know the background story but at first glance she looks like she's done very well for herself, but I've seen a few comments on here over the years that suggest otherwise!

It's not personal beyond the user routinely throwing out a system that is founded on bunk science.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I am not a weight lifter and not bulking. However, at maintenance I have lost inches and not weight, so I assume the loss is fat and the gain is muscle.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I am not a weight lifter and not bulking. However, at maintenance I have lost inches and not weight, so I assume the loss is fat and the gain is muscle.

:huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

Need a little more details....but short of that, I would say no.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Hello, I have been bulking since November and went from 142 to 155 and my lifts have gone up as well. I gained a fair amount of muscle but I am starting to become a little uncomfortable with how much fat I have gained. My question is if I drop back down to maintenance calories but continue the same lifting program can I lose body fat while retaining, kind of like a recomp? Or would I need to have a small deficit (like 200 calories) to actually lose body fat? Thanks!

What is your height?

You may lose some BF if eating at maintenance.....but it will be a slow process....

Give it a shot....
    Are you tryin to hit a goal, or just be "beach ready" by summer?
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    You can, but it's incredibly slow...like it'll take years. You're better off just doing a really slow cut...you're not going to lose all of your gains if you're doing a really slow cut of 200 - 250 calories...it'll literally take you forever to drop even 1% point in BF just doing a re-comp.

What is your BF% right now? How long have you been in a bulk cycle? What BF% did you start with?

Thanks for the info this is what I needed to hear, that it would take too long and not be worth it. My BF was around 11% and If I had to guess I would say around 17% now.

@ Sijomial My goal is to be around my same weight 155-160 (5'10 male) but much more lean. Based on some of the responses I got it sounds better to just finish my bulk up to 160 or so and then cut for the summer. Thanks for the insight.

Yes. Don't fear the fat gain. Losing fat is EASY compared to gaining muscle.

Read this if you haven't.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/general-philosophies-of-muscle-mass-gain.html
  • GBPackerFan14
    GBPackerFan14 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips everyone, I read the article and it was very interesting. My goal is to be around the weight I am but have a lower BF%. The article opened my eyes on how it will take multiple cut/bulk cycles to achieve that not just one long one thanks.