I think this makes sense...

Options
Hola! I sort of jumped into this whole thing without much research. Figured it's a good time now to stop and adjust my plan of attack since something doesn't seem to be right.

3 weeks ago I weighed in at 213 lbs (at my cardiologist's office, no less). I figured right then and there it was time to lose the weight, especially with our second daughter on the way. My first goal is to hit 180 lbs (what I weighed in college). I believe technically my ideal weight is around 160 or so but I'd be ok somewhere in between given that BMI isn't the best indicator of health.

It just so happens that an OrangeTheory fitness center opened nearby so I checked them out. Pretty neat gear with a heart monitor (Polar GX I believe) and post-workout reports with calories burned, heart rate cycles etc. Reports had me burning anywhere from 800-1000 calories per class. How accurate that is I'm not entirely sure, but I'm willing to say it's right perhaps within 80% or so. No real data, just more of a scientific hunch.

Fired up MFP after having it on my phone for years and never using it and began logging everything religiously. First week saw a drop of about 4 lbs which I suspect was partially due to water weight and just an overall shock to the system. Second week saw 2 lbs, this week saw another lb. About 8 lbs in 3 weeks isn't terrible at all.

What's setting off alarm bells though is how hungry I've become. I've opened my food log up to the public for review, but after digging a bit I'm starting to realize I'm not eating nearly enough to sustain life for lack of a better term. After reading all sorts of stuff, I'd like to get some feedback from those that have been through the journey.

- I'm assuming at a minimum, I need to consume BMR - (somewhere between 1878 from MFP and 2012 calories/day from BMI-Calc).

- I'm attempting to work out 3 x week. I'm limited in that the facility logistically isn't favorable but a center should open up within the next month closer to home. Given the # workouts / week, I'm selecting lightly active for my MFP settings with a 2 lb loss/week. MFP's showing a caloric intake of about 1600 per day, below my BMR.

- TDEE would run me at 2582 to 2766 calories per day depending on which calculator to use. To lose the 2 lbs per week, I'd need a deficit of 1000 calories, which would put me at 1582 - 1766 per day, still under BMR.

So my conclusion to all of this is the following. As it stands working out 3 x week, lightly active, I can really only lose 1.5 lbs per week (2582 - 1878 = 700 calorie deficit). In order to increase that deficit, I would need to increase my fitness level, perhaps adding an extra day to my workout routine.

I'm also realizing that I HAVE to eat my BMR + whatever calories burned during workout days. If I'm taking the post-workout reports as an exact measure of calories burned, how the heck can I put down another 800-1000 calories on workout days? That seems rather insane. On top of the fact that it's always been ingrained in our minds that less calories = more weight loss. I know you have to rev up your metabolism but boy, that's quite a bit to eat on those days.

Sorry for this being (very) long winded. Hope some of this makes sense and that I at least have the basics down. Thanks all!

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    More protein. I looked at your diary and you hardly have any. Protein is your best friend, I promise.

Protein will help preserve your lean muscle mass and it will also help you feel full. It is the single best thing you can give your body.

However, don't forget to get a good amount of carbs and fat as well. Your body needs those macronutrients. Fiber is also good to track.

But in general, you've got the basics of BMR/TDEE etc.

And if you haven't already, read this:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    as a man you should be eating at least 1800 calories net a day...

Exercise calories unless from steady state cardio using a chest strap HRM are over estimated typically...eat half back...

And I agree you need more protien...I eat at least 120g a day and when I looked at your diary some days you had 54g????
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I second the more protein option. Try to get 1 - 1.5g per lb of LBM then 0.35g of fat per lb body weight then fill in the rest with carbs. Also don't get hung up on a 1000 cal deficit - slow and steady wins the race - if you cut drastically it can be harder to keep the weight off. Good luck - 8lb so far is great :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Yes you got everything right except the protein part - you need to eat more of it. It will keep you fuller and will help prevent muscle loss. Switch your settings to 40% carb, 30% protein, 30% fat, and try to reach those goals to start.
  • gatorphysics
    Options
    Exercise calories unless from steady state cardio using a chest strap HRM are over estimated typically...eat half back...

And I agree you need more protien...I eat at least 120g a day and when I looked at your diary some days you had 54g????

The fitness class uses a Polar strap that runs across the chest just under the breast. Attached is a cardio receiver which transmits heart rate to the server. I'll try and throw up a copy of the report for visualization.

Protein has been an issue, especially with our current living conditions. Wife is currently pregnant with second child and while the journey's almost over, she can barely stand the thought/smell/sight of any animal protein (turkey, chicken, beef etc.) What would you all recommend for increasing protein consumption? I'm assuming I could use some sort of whey protein supplements to assist in reaching a better protein to overall diet ratio.

It's been interesting thusfar. It's nice to see shirts that were tight a few weeks ago actually flop around in the Florida breeze. I'm also close to dropping my size 38 pants for my old 36s which is a great driving force. The end goal though besides losing the weight is to eventually run a half and then full marathon. At my current weight, running is still placing too much stress on the knees and lower legs. Slowly but surely though. Thanks all!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    fish is a great source of protien...peanut butter, nuts, powders bars, shakes....but you aren't at home all the time eat it at lunch.

As long as the HRM has a chest strap and it's steady state cardio great...otherwise they do over esitmate...during circuit training, weights anything but steady state..

As for dropping weight that's great but remember protien and lifting helps you maintain muscle mass so that most of the weight you are losing is fat ....
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Try having a gallon of milk a day if the missus can't cope with meat in the house or any dairy and vegetarian options like quorn or legumes.

ETA: forgot about peanut butter, eat all the peanut butter =D
  • gatorphysics
    Options
    Those protein shakes really do keep you full. Let's see how the supplements help with the weight loss this week. Thanks again all!
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I don't think you have to eat back all your exercise calories on precisely the same day. It just needs to average out over time (like over a week) to your target net calories.
  • gatorphysics
    Options
    Alright, I have a feeling I'll be struggling with this for a bit. According to my HRM yesterday, I burned approximately 950 calories. Even if I tried, there's absolutely no way I can consume that in one day. I could probably average that over an extra couple of days, bringing my calorie count to 2100 pre-workouts, but that just seems like an awfully high amount of calories. I've managed to get my protein intake up but I don't know if I can stomach an extra 300 calories a day. Including the fact that I'm usually exceeding sodium intakes regularly.

Any tips on getting an extra couple hundred calories or so in relatively easily (and healthy of course)?

Also, I'm currently using my wife's Pure Protein Whey Protein Powder. I think she bought it at Walmart. Any huge difference between protein powders, i.e. some geared more toward men, etc or just go for the best bang for the buck without sacrificing taste? I've been drinking them with water and they're still rather tasty while minimizing calories. Thanks!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to add don't forget to get some good fats in. Olive oil, nuts, seeds and avocado and salmon are great sources. As far as protein powders just watch for added sugars.