how in the hell are these people getting 900 calorie burns

Options

Replies

• birdiecs
    birdiecs Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    According to my hrm, yoga and strength training are worthless for a calorie burn. Burning only 104 calories in a yoga class...can I have my hour back

Having done both Insanity and now Stronglifts, I will take the measly burn of weight training for results. I know it's tough to get out of the 'calorie burn' mindset but it's worth it. Ditch the HRM for lifting, it's useless.
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    here you go - peer-reviewed journal:
    http://www.asep.org/asep/asep/Robergs2.pdf

And a shorter easier read that references that article + 2 others:
    http://www.drmirkin.com/fitness/9156.html

(none of which contradicts what our rock-hoisting friend has said here, btw)
    If you could provide where you read 30% fall outside of 220 I think it would be beneficial to folks. Any idea how long your heart rate was 217? How many minutes? I'd agree you aren't 9 years old :)

While it is the most common (and easy to remember and calculate), this particular formula is not considered by reputable health and fitness professionals to be a good predictor of HRmax. Despite the widespread publication of this formula, research spanning two decades reveals its large inherent error, Sxy = 7–11 bpm. Consequently, the estimation calculated by HRmax = 220 − age has neither the accuracy nor the scientific merit for use in exercise physiology and related fields.[12]

http://www.builtlean.com/2010/05/25/how-to-calculate-your-max-heart-rate/
    The 220-Age calculation is very popular because it’s easy and reasonably accurate for most people, while the other calculation was created in 2007 and is more accurate.

There’s a drawback, however, of these widely used calculations that few people understand. The standard deviation of the 220-age formula is + or – 12 bpm, and the other calculation has a standard deviation of + or – 7 bpm.

In case you never took calculus, or statistics, a standard deviation of + or – 12 bpm means that 66% of people are within 1 standard deviation of the max heart rate predicted by this 220-age formula, 90% of people are within 2 standard deviations (+ or – 24 bpm), and 95% of people are within 3 standard deviations (+ or – 36 bpm).

So it looks like I just managed to squeak in to the 3 standard deviations.
  • Ctrum69
    Ctrum69 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    INteresting. Just ran my numbers, and using their "most accurate" method, got 175.66 as HRMax, and using the 220-age, got 176..

So, apparently, I fall pretty close to the baseline.

Now, whether that actually applies properly? No clue.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    I don't think it burns more calories just because you have your heart rate higher because you are panting, though. I think it only counts if your heart rate is high because you are actually working out at a high intensity.

i think your probably right but i dont know for sure

Well, all i know is I felt better when I could run 7 miles than I felt when I struggled running 2 miles. And I didn't really lose 50 lbs from running (because I ran when I was fat, too...and then I'd eat a burrito and chips and guacamole and drink a soda and eat a bunch of starbuck's treats and fancy coffees and pizza and desserts).

I lost 50 lbs by being reasonable about balancing my eating and my exercise so I lost weight.
  • free_state
    free_state Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    One thing I have noticed, through careful logging, as that how high I'm getting at the same pace and time, is dropping steadily the more I do it.. so clearly SOMETHING is changing, and it's a much more rapid change than my weight.

:)

That would be your fitness level changing, not your max heart rate. The same thing will happen naturally with your pace, it will increase with milage (up to a point).
  • sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    How are people getting 900 calries burned in a workout. I do insanity etc and still burn no where close to that.

Usually about an hour of mix between elliptical and treadmill gets me 900-1000.

Also when it's warm mt bike gets about 1,000 for me.

Have to go hard though. Do you have a hrm ?
  • gatorphysics
    Options
    I've done a few HIIT classes with an HRM strapped to my chest. I've managed to burn anywhere from 880 to 1000 calories in an hour. I didn't believe it at first but it's definitely working.
  • crazie4lulu
    crazie4lulu Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    i run in the morning. usually 75 to 90 minutes. thats at least a thousand right there.
  • mochamommy
    mochamommy Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Sleep. With an hour commute each way to work, I'm gone 11 hours. Put in gym time of one and a half hours with drive time to and from home..then cooking and cleaning up every night because no one else does and my husband wants a fresh meal each night..no leftovers...it's nine when I'm done with that. Then bathing and relaxing and pet time...it's at least 11 before I get to bed. Then up at five to start over with breakfast etc....
  • kimetime
    Options
    I didn't take the time to read the rest of the comments, but I know for me, during my 3 hour long, very intense basketball practices, I burn that and probably more. It all depends on the intensity you exercise at and for how long you exercise.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    I've done a few HIIT classes with an HRM strapped to my chest. I've managed to burn anywhere from 880 to 1000 calories in an hour. I didn't believe it at first but it's definitely working.
    Hey gatorphysics, gatorrussian (me) did the math a couple pages back, and those HRM estimates can be wildly, wildly overestimated.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Sleep. With an hour commute each way to work, I'm gone 11 hours. Put in gym time of one and a half hours with drive time to and from home..then cooking and cleaning up every night because no one else does and my husband wants a fresh meal each night..no leftovers...it's nine when I'm done with that. Then bathing and relaxing and pet time...it's at least 11 before I get to bed. Then up at five to start over with breakfast etc....

Maybe your husband should do some cooking and cleaning and maybe he should learn to love leftovers. Making a fresh meal EVERY night? That's insane and sounds expensive.
  • Lane1012
    Lane1012 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    How are people getting 900 calries burned in a workout. I do insanity etc and still burn no where close to that.

I burn about 115-120 calories a mile when I run ... 5'7 150 ... so a good 8 mile run is all I need.
  • ebayaddict0127
    ebayaddict0127 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Going to the highest possible intensity?
  • hstoblish
    hstoblish Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I did this hiking hilly terrain for 2 hours with my daughter (~18 pounds at the time) on my back... then I ate oh so many wings with barbeque sauce and dip and drank some beer.

It was glorious. Absolutely glorious!
  • boxpunk
    boxpunk Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I walked 9.2 miles yesterday. My hrm gave me 1116. I walk 3 to 5 miles a day and do a work out DVD. I go by my hrm, not MFP. ETA:,I use my hrm because MFP gives me way too many calories burned. For my walk yesterday, at 4.6 miles, hrm 558, MFP close to 900.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Hi I only excercise on machines that has the timer, fat burner, Miles and calories burned calculator on. This way i know exactly what i am burning.

Also I have been told doing 30 mins in the sauna on 8 to 100 degrees also burns 300 to 500 calories. After each work out i go in to the sauna for 30 mins.

Please note that this post is her opinions^^^ and the calorie counters on machines are sometimes very very off and usually over estimate!I didn't want anyone to read her post and assume that it was fact.
  • boxpunk
    boxpunk Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    looking back at some of the other posts, Yoga and strength training are more for sculpting and toning while you lose weight. so that when you burn calories and lose weight your skin it matches so you don't end up with pounds of saggy skin. Take pride in your accomplishments and don't care about others.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    I don't think it burns more calories just because you have your heart rate higher because you are panting, though. I think it only counts if your heart rate is high because you are actually working out at a high intensity.

i think your probably right but i dont know for sure

you would pant due to your heart rate going up, not the opposite, for anything over a few seconds.

Your respiration increases to compensate for your circulation increase.

I can get my HR up into the high 120s (my "fatburning zone" is 136) without even moving. just stand in one spot, and tense all the major and as many minor muscle groups as you can.

It doesn't get up into the 130s until I start moving around (still tensed) however.

I get about the same heart rate walking at 3.5 mph on a relatively level surface.

If you are moving the same amount of oxygen and fuel to your muscles, you are moving the same amount of oxygen and fuel.

Granted: breath control is something you learn over time..most people breathe wrong when they first start out, but if you are breathing right (belly breathing), then HR is an indicator of aerobic calorie burn.

(Now, is your burn at X HR the same as mine at the same? Probably not.)

bump
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    looking back at some of the other posts, Yoga and strength training are more for sculpting and toning while you lose weight. so that when you burn calories and lose weight your skin it matches so you don't end up with pounds of saggy skin. Take pride in your accomplishments and don't care about others.

Wait, what?

:huh:

(I mean, I agree w/ your conclusion...but how you got there...uh...not so much.)