Not sure about my trainer....

Options
Hi - I'm looking for any advice on this:
I just turned 50, I am in menopause and have just started HRT after battling flushes and bad sleep for FAR too long.
I've put on 10kg and 7cm around my waist in just 6 months (got married, aqcuired 2 children full-time so am a Mum for the first time - EEEEEK)

I've hired an online trainer with a BIG reputation but she has me on just 1200 calories a day (eating VERY clean) when my BMR is 1408, my BMI is 24.2 and my TDEE is 2182.

I put ON 3 kilos in the first two weeks, then lost it but have not lose A SINGLE OUNCE since - that was almost a month ago.....
I'm exercising four/five times a week (she wants me to do more but honestly I DO NOT have the time!) so that's a full weights workout every other day plus 30minutes fast walking, then a fast walk on the days in betweeb and one rest day a week.

I'm getting pretty disillusioned with all this. I know this must be hormonal but really?? Losing nothing?? ANd how long should I be eating UNDER my BMR beofre I hit a metabolic adaptation and screw my metabolism? Help??

Em

Replies

• fitfoutch
    fitfoutch Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    You need a new trainer, but not before you educate yourself. Check out Dr. Layne Norton on youtube. He has a wealth of knowledge and experience in training, bad trainers, metabolic damage, nutrition and how to sort fact from fiction.

1200 calories a day is the standard "online trainer" diet, all very clean, with no variations for each client.
  • JordanInMT
    JordanInMT Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    You need a new trainer, but not before you educate yourself. Check out Dr. Layne Norton on youtube. He has a wealth of knowledge and experience in training, bad trainers, metabolic damage, nutrition and how to sort fact from fiction.

1200 calories a day is the standard "online trainer" diet, all very clean, with no variations for each client.

I strongly agree with this.

OP, it sounds like you got the typical "cookie cutter" diet that a lot of these online trainers put out. You will lose weight on this diet, but you're bound to damage your metabolism, and go a little nutty in the process.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Fire your trainer, those numbers she has you on are ridiculous. What did the doctor say about the HRT and how it will impact your weight?
  • jacklo
    jacklo Posts: 17
    Options
    From what I've been told by someone on menopause who has started and stopped HRT twice (and gained 10 pounds each time after stopping) and who now is struggling with fat loss, achieving weight loss after stopping HRT can be its own unique animal (and a nightmare). It sounds like your situation is a little different since you are on HRT right now. That said, from what I understand, hormones play a large role in weight loss and body composition. Like a previous poster suggested, I'm not surprised that the usual "cookie cutter" techniques aren't working. It makes sense to try to find a trainer/nutritionist/medical professional who has experience with this.

If you learn something helpful, please be sure to post it here so I (and others) can pass it along, and I will do the same. I am guessing that the struggles of a lot of women who aren't dropping body fat with no idea why can be attributed to hormonal issues. Men aren't immune from hormonal challenges as well when it comes to dropping body fat or building muscle.

I wish you the best of luck.