Treadmill Minutes Feel Like Hours

Options
I live in place where it is almost always wintertime. It's always cold, it's foggy, rainy, and super hilly. Basically, it's just too difficult for someone like me who's not "that fit" to get out and do things like run or bike. I do have a bike and a treadmill at home, but I found it was difficult to make myself go on them because it was so BORING. I was forced to jog just watching the seconds and the calories burned creep up slowly. It was easy to get off the workout train.

Recently, however, I discovered audiobooks. I don't know what took me so long, but now I bring my iPhone with me and find myself wanting to find out what happens to the characters, and I'll only listen to the book when I'm moving.

I highly recommend this for anyone who has trouble staying motivated at their indoor gyms :smile:

Replies

• cschiff
    cschiff Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    If you have a tv in front of you, it helps lol. But I know that isn't the case for everyone.

I actually saved up for a while and then bought an ipad so I could watch netflix on the treadmill!! Lol it was the only thing would keep me on the treadmill!!

So yeah, I hear ya!
  • AHASRADA
    AHASRADA Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Good advice! My treadmill has a shelf that holds a media device, so I watch YouTube videos on my iPod or read books on my Kindle. It definitely makes the time pass more pleasantly. I actually don't even watch TV anymore; I do all my watching while walking!
  • mack0311
    Options
    Put a towel over the display screen and listen to fast-paced music. I don't check to see how long I've been running for until I'm like 4 songs in. If I didn't have my ipod there's no way I could stay on there for 5 mins.
  • cschiff
    cschiff Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Good advice! My treadmill has a shelf that holds a media device, so I watch YouTube videos on my iPod or read books on my Kindle. It definitely makes the time pass more pleasantly. I actually don't even watch TV anymore; I do all my watching while walking!

wow, that's impressive!! maybe you don't watch as much TV as I do (LOL) but if I only watched tv while on the treadmill I would be THIN AS HELL hahahaha. maybe that means I should watch less tv....
  • FollowYourArrow8
    Options
    I watch my Friends DVDs while I run, always cheers me up when I'm in agony :)

Also I find doing HIIT workouts make the time go faster as you're constantly changing the speed or incline.
  • sgh4ra
    sgh4ra Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I agree covering up the display helps. Also I read a book on my Kindle while on the treadmill. Both those things make the time go by easier. Good luck.
  • AHASRADA
    AHASRADA Posts: 88 Member
    Options

wow, that's impressive!! maybe you don't watch as much TV as I do (LOL) but if I only watched tv while on the treadmill I would be THIN AS HELL hahahaha. maybe that means I should watch less tv....

Well, I don't run on my treadmill, I only walk at about a 3 mph pace (this is in addition to my 60 min. AM workouts, just to get in my daily 10k steps!) I walk an average of 1 1/2 hours a day divided between two sessions. That's all the time I have for watching/reading in my day anyway, so I may as well get my activity in at the same time :)
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Brave the cold and go outside. I am sure there is something you can do. You are telling yourself that you 'cant' do these things. Why not tell yourself something different?
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Dress for the weather, go outside, get fit. It is that simple. Don't worry about other runners out when you do your run .... most are or have been slow, not "that fit", etc. Save the treadmill for torrential downpours and iced over days.
  • DaveInFL
    DaveInFL Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I certainly couldn't cover up the display. That's what keeps me motivated. I need to know my pace, etc. I also like to up my pace if I am feeling good :)
    But, I do have music playing via my phone. I have a UK radio station on and that does take my mind off how much time is remaining :)
  • barb106
    barb106 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I watch Netflix on my tablet. Really helps spice up the minutes!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I think you should test your limits and go outside. It builds character and you'll feel BA.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Why not dance, instead of getting on the treadmill?

If you need direction, look for Zumba videos, but you can just put on your favorite upbeat music and jam out.
  • IVMarkIV
    IVMarkIV Posts: 116
    Options
    Distractions always help...bring some books, magazines, etc. The towel cover is a must to not focus on the time or kcals burnt.
    On the extreme end, I've built myself a treadmill desk for extreme multitasking.
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options

Recently, however, I discovered audiobooks. I don't know what took me so long, but now I bring my iPhone with me and find myself wanting to find out what happens to the characters, and I'll only listen to the book when I'm moving.

That's what my wife does. She says it helps her a lot. Thing is to find what works for you. And sounds like you did! I'm the only person I know who doesn't want anything when I run. I try to zone out. I can usually do it after the first mile. At the gum, I'll focus on something where my eyes naturally fall. Something stupid - whatever happens to be there. Usually it's the foot of an elliptical two rows in front of me. And I just kind of stare at it and almost meditate. Makes the time go faster.
  • Kr1ptonite
    Kr1ptonite Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I use my ipad and watch youtube on the treadmill, time flys bye.
  • cmurphy252
    cmurphy252 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Put a towel over the display screen and listen to fast-paced music. I don't check to see how long I've been running for until I'm like 4 songs in. If I didn't have my ipod there's no way I could stay on there for 5 mins.

Definitely this for me! No music . . . . no workout.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    If you can run on a treadmill, you're fit enough to run outside.
  • Leah_Alexis
    Leah_Alexis Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I hear ya. I watch my tv shows while I'm on the treadmill using my ipod. However If I'm going for a run I put on my music instead - can't focus otherwise. lol
  • Marcia315
    Marcia315 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    If you can run on a treadmill, you're fit enough to run outside.

Kind of hard to run in a blizzard, though.