Anyone that has been successful but lost weight very slowly?

Options
I need some motivation today! I'm only losing about 2lbs a month (which my doctor said she recommends) but I have to admit to being envious of everyone that seems to lose much faster than me. At the rate I'm going it will take me 3-4 years to lose the weight I want!

I really want to lose and keep it off though. Has anyone lost weight slowly with a good end result?

I mostly worry about not staying motivated since it is taking so long. Any tips from anyone who has been there/done that?

Replies

• AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I am currently about 9 pounds from goal, and down 41 pounds. It's taken me over three years. This is partially because it took a while to overhaul my lifestyle, because I did it one change at a time. I also suffered an injury last year that put ten back on for a while. But, it has been slowly and steadily creeping downwards, and even when the scale isn't going down, I'm noticing other changes, like more muscle definiation and whatnot.

Just stick with it!! Maybe try to increase your exercise either in time or intensity and continue to make dietary changes towards more healthy calories (I haven't looked at your diary so have no idea if you are already eating clean or not).

Good luck and don't give up! Even though it has taken me a long time, I'm so glad I didn't throw in the towel, because I'm pretty happy with my body right now.
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    It took me nearly two years to lose 50+ pounds and I've been maintaining in a fairly tight range for 6 months. It takes time to find your comfort zone and learn to eat and exercise properly given your own personal preferences. Just keep at it. You'll get there and you won't have to starve yourself to do it. You got this!
  • nikibean123
    nikibean123 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Quick weight loss is quite often difficult to maintain and will pop back on again as soon as you stop dieting so slow weight loss is generally preferable. Good luck!
  • Dhemeyer
    Dhemeyer Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    While losing weight slowly is often healthy and recommended, it certainly can be a real motivation killer. But there are lots of things you can do to keep yourself moving in the right direction, so don't lose hope!

I've had lots of luck staying motivated by taking my body measurements in addition to stepping on the scale. For me, my inches shrink faster than the scale moves. So get the measuring tape out!

Take some pics of yourself. I know, I know... no one really wants to take pics when they aren't looking like they want to look. But I don't know about you, but when I'm trying to lose weight I'm constantly checking myself in the mirror to see if I can see any changes. Over the course of time, I have trouble seeing anything different. But pics really help me zero in where I'm making progress... especially if I put my "over time" pics side by side.

Find someone who can keep you accountable or join a support group. After my first baby I tried losing the weight by myself. I did ok, but my motivation and accountability waivered. So after a year of going it alone, I joined a group and lost more in just 3 months than I did that first year. Plus I stayed excited about what I was doing. So this time around (I'm working on baby #2 weight and looking at needing to 75lbs) I jumped right into a group. They keep me accountable, encouraged, and give me tips when I'm struggling.

Finally. Determine WHY you want to lose weight. Really dig deep and find a meaningful reason you need to get to a different place. Then put that reason in writing and post it in places you will see it often.

I hope this helps! Feel free to message me anytime.
  • sashanicole88
    sashanicole88 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    It took me about two years to fully lose 75-80 pounds and have been maintaining my current weight for about a year. I have about 15 to twenty more pounds I would still like to lose, but I am still happy with where I am currently. Two pounds a month is way better than losing no pounds a month :) Age, diet, hormones, etc can also effect how quickly one is able to lose weight. Often times, people who quickly lose weight can gain it back just as quickly. If you look at the success stories on here, you'll notice that many people take a year, two, or even longer to reach their goals. Being healthy is a work-in-progress, and it takes time. Be patient and stick with it, and you'll be your own success story. :)
  • LinOtt
    LinOtt Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    You took a long time to get the weight on. It takes a permanent change in lifestyle to keep it off. If you take it slowly you are more likely to make those changes. I am halfway to my goal, but the changes I have made will stay with me forever.

Keep motivated by setting interim goals with movement and diet.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Just another thought...at the end of 3-4 years, you'll be where you want to be! Isn't that cool?

I started out at my heaviest in Nov 2008 at 307 lb.

I didn't find MFP until March 2013, and by then I had lost 45 lb already.

Since then I've admittedly lost weight much faster, 63 lb in 10 months. But honestly...the most impact on my health and happiness, in my opinion, was from that 45 lb that took me over 4 years to lose!! And I view it as a success. Yes it was slow. But I kept it off.
  • Lannister80
    Options
    I lost 41 pounds last year and I'm going for another 50 this year. I echo everyone- it took awhile to pack on, and it's not going to come off overnight, especially when I'm working so hard on making this a lifestyle change. I lost 45+ pounds years ago in a short period of time, and it swiftly came back on. Plus, I think once you get the initial excess weight off, it makes exercising a lot easier and more enticing. But I hear you, it can be frustrating to see people dropping like, 50 lbs in 6 months, and wondering what the hell I have to do to speed up the process. Just listen to your body- all progress is good progress, and I think you'll def see the results for longer.
  • Blokeypoo
    Blokeypoo Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I started in June 2012 and deliberately lost slowly (about 8mths to lose 28lbs, 5'2 on 1400 ish cals) but saw it as a good thing. Been maintaining for a year now and still log all food.

It's much less restrictive and more sustainable and feels like a life change not yet another feast/famine cycle.

Stick with it, it's worth more than you'll ever know x
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Just one more way to look at this...if you could fast forward to 1 yr from now, obviously you would be happiest reaching your ultimate goal weight (if you're like most people) BUT, if we assume for a moment that's not possible...would you rather say, "Ugh I'm heavier than a year ago!" or "I lost 4.2 lb since last February" or "I lost 21 lb since last February!"

I bet you've got an answer to that ;-)
  • Will210
    Will210 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Is there a specifc reason your doctor gave or what just supporting your weight loss you meantioned?
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    I average about 1/2 a week as well and I am currently down 35lbs. For me any loss is progress and losing at a slower weight is more realistic for my lifestyle and comfort.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I've been at it for 4 years and 1 month. Started at 260, currently at 170 (the lowest I've weighed in 22 years). Granted, I did lose most of my weight the 1st year at a rate of 1 to 1.5 pounds per week on average but from then on it's been very slow and steady. I'm mostly thrilled that I'm sticking with it and still losing a little bit every month at this point. Every other weight loss attempt in the past lasted maybe six months, 1 year at the most. For me, it's become less about getting skinny and more about being more healthy and fit. Of course being able to wear a smaller size is a plus but it's not what the end goal is all about. :)
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    If I want to see my glass as half empty I would say I'm a slow loser. If the glass is half full I lose inches quickly if I lift weights. In the past month I've lost 4 lbs but I lost 8.75". In the past I have gone a month and longer without losing a pound but I lost inches. So my suggestion is to lift weights or do some kind of aerobic weight training like The Firm. If you work on changing your body composition as you lose weight you'll be much happier with your results.

I will also add that while losing weight slowly isn't totally amazing like it is on the Biggest Loser, it does teach you what it takes to lose weight and keep it off. I've lost weight quickly in the past and once I stopped dieting I started to gain again. I had not learned how to eat reasonable amounts of food. Any loss is better than gaining or maintaining. Each of us has to accept how our bodies work and also that once we reach *ahem* a certain age it doesn't come off as quickly anymore.
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I've been on this journey for ~2.5 years. Only 2/3 of the way down the weightloss slide. However, I'm quite sure this is a lifelong journey. My aims are to learn to eat smarter, move every day. Not done with mfp until that happens.

My brother-in-law just had his gall bladder removed, and so I was reading things about gall bladders. Seems that gall bladder problems are more frequent when people lose weight too fast. I encourage you to believe that slow weight loss is more healthy for you.

Focus on your health. Not on the time to get there.
  • SKBrown76
    SKBrown76 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    It has taken me 2 years to lose 75lbs so far. I can totally relate to what you are saying, I look here for motivation, but unfortunately get discouraged by how fast some others lose the weight. It doesn't help that I am not a patient person either :)
  • baseballmom23
    baseballmom23 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist wants this to be successful and permanent. I have a total of 30 lbs to lose; I'm down 8 lbs in 11 weeks. My calorie intake is 1800 all because they want it reasonable and they don't want me to gain it back. I agree with what everyone else has said previous to me. Any reduction is good; you don't want to gain it back. It has to be a life style change. You are doing good; keep it up. Don't compare yourself to others.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    Your current weightloss is remarkable. Big difference in your 2 photos. Time to get some new clothes!
    Slow and steady seems to be working!
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    Yep. But I keep telling myself that I am still LOSING weight. A big part of it is medication I'm on, but I think it's also that it just doesn't fall off me as much as with others. It might not be as fast as I want, but I'm getting there. I've been trying for about 6 months and lost 20 lbs, but I've lost a ton of inches. Don't discount a loss, but also, don't let that be your only measure for success. I may not have dropped as many pounds as I want to yet. But my lifestyle involving food, fitness, and overall health has improved dramatically. If you're trying, you're going in the right direction. And it looks to me like you've made progress for sure by your picture! Take measurements and keep taking pictures to remind yourself that you are making progress. We all get discouraged at times, but keep at it. It'll be worth the time it takes!
  • Sunshine2plus2
    Sunshine2plus2 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Just eat right and exercise! Keep at it, you got this!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!