My weight loss plan :) help!

Options
Hi!
I weigh 145 but look almost 20 lbs smaller why is that? also i want to loose 10 pounds by march 15th.. if possible
If I take in 1,500 calories a day and workout both the elliptical for 30 mins and the bike for 25-30 mins could i loose the 10 pounds by then? or should i eat less calories. Today I had a net of`1,036. is that good? i ate 1,563 and exercised 527

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Body composition determines leanness... not weight. So if you can actually gain weight and look more lean. Example below. Also, you might be able to hit that goal depending how much water weight you have, but ideally, you should aim for 1lb per week. Additionally, if you wan to see better changes in your body shape, weight training or resistance training is ideal. That combined with higher amounts of protein will help with muscle retention (giving you that lean look). If you can, do 3 to 4 days of resistance training and 2-3 days of cardio.

Lastly, don't get tied up with weight.. it's fairly meaningless as I touched on. And if you exercise, I would eat at least 1/2 of those exercise calories back (it's how MFP is designed). Or a good rule of them if you workout for an hour, eat another 300 calories. I see that as an average for many women and men are closer to 450.. of course this depends on intensity and weight. Another option is set your account to active and do NOT eat back exercise calories. Those working out 5-6 hours a week are considered active. 3-4 hours would be lightly active. This way, you don't over compensate for exercise calories.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • katherinelav2
    Options
    Thank you! what would be considered weight training and resistance training? I have a cruise so i wanna look good lol.. If i stay eating a net of like 1,100 a day.. then is that okay? i want to loose the 10lbs by then. or is that bad?
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Thank you! what would be considered weight training and resistance training? I have a cruise so i wanna look good lol.. If i stay eating a net of like 1,100 a day.. then is that okay? i want to loose the 10lbs by then. or is that bad?

I wouldn't any worry about net.. because it's actually difficult to get a good estimate of calories burned. How tall are you? And do you plan on working out an hour a day? And do you have a food scale?

Resistance training is the use of weights or body weigh to provide a load on your muscles. You will get a lot stronger if you use weights over body weight, but there isn't anything that would suggest that body weight isn't effective for muscle retention.

Based on an estimated height, 1700-1800 total calories is about right.

ps- please don't copy and paste your post in a bunch of other threads.. it's violates rule # 9. We can answer all your questions in this thread.
  • katherinelav2
    Options
    I am about 5'5 I do plan on working about between 40-60 mins a day.. 30 if I'm really busy.. whats a food scale? I'm really bad with protein i hate eggs and most meats.. but i like steak and some times chicken and like sliced turkey.. but i don't eat protein every meal.. If i eat less calories say 1200-1300 then will that help me loose weight quicker?
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I am about 5'5 I do plan on working about between 40-60 mins a day.. 30 if I'm really busy.. whats a food scale? I'm really bad with protein i hate eggs and most meats.. but i like steak and some times chicken and like sliced turkey.. but i don't eat protein every meal.. If i eat less calories say 1200-1300 then will that help me loose weight quicker?

There are tons of sources of protein (link below for help.. but you can also add protein shakes or protein bars). Also, the more lean you are, the more calories you need. If you want to look good in a bathing suit, you want to maintain your lean body mass as much as possible. It's not weight loss that makes you look good, it's overall body composition. Heck, I know tons of women on this board that are underweight and still have high body fat %. So they still have a belly and issues. Ideally, I would suggest eating 1600-1700 calories, macros around 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fats. If you want to lose a little bit more after the first 4 weeks, I would suggest going low carb for the 2 weeks prior to your trip \. If you keep carbs around 50-80g a day, you can lose enough water weight to enhance your results.. Now the moment you eat carbs again, you will gain all the glycogen/water weight back.

But yes, 1200 calories would make you lose weight faster, but it won't be all fat.. it will be muscle, fat, water, tissue, etc.. This is why I suggest a lower deficit and heavy weight training and protein. This combination has worked for tons of people. Also next time, don't wait until 6 weeks before your vacation to start.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/926789-protein-sources
  • katherinelav2
    Options
    haha i know i definitely will not wait next time.. but I will be fine if i loose just 5 or something. i just want to look better. i have a horrible self image because I'm always confused on how i look. i think i look fat but people say i don't. but then when i feel okay I'm starting to gain weight. its weird.. but i will try all of your suggestions :)
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Weight loss comes from a calorie deficit....not from exercise. Exercise is good for you, and can help you achieve that deficit...but loss is all about calories.
  • katherinelav2
    Options
  • jacklo
    jacklo Posts: 17
    Options
    Since you specifically mentioned the elliptical trainer and exercise bicycle in your post, I would just add that if you're going to perform cardio, you should look into High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) techniques, which will assist with burning body fat while preserving muscle, if you agree with its proponents (which I do). Good luck!
  • psuLemon
    Options
    haha i know i definitely will not wait next time.. but I will be fine if i loose just 5 or something. i just want to look better. i have a horrible self image because I'm always confused on how i look. i think i look fat but people say i don't. but then when i feel okay I'm starting to gain weight. its weird.. but i will try all of your suggestions :)

First off, you are just 18, so it's going to be awkward until you are done fully growing. Second, self image rarely is improved with weight loss. If you started with self image issues, you will still have them when you are fit. This in common for a lot of women (even some men) regardless of their age.

The best thing you can do is educate yourself on fitness and don't set aggressive goals. Making lifting one of your best friends as that will provide the best results for strength and improved lean body mass. And if you have to, drop the scale and move to using the mirror and a tape measure. Like I already showed you, you can gain weight and be more lean.