Cooked green leafy veggies to snack on?

Options
I need more variety to bring green leafy veggies into my diet more often. I'm not keen on raw veggies, but I love kale chips and roasted spinach. I'm sick of salads. How do you eat your green leafy vegetables?

Replies

• FitnFeistyLyness
    FitnFeistyLyness Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    nutty chhesy kale chips

process cashews with lemon juice,garlic, nutritional yeast.. until it becomes crumbly.. massage into leaves and bake

i love avacado massaged into kale.. it softens the kale

roasted in the oven with garic onions.. potatoes

i throw them in bean burgers

soups

make pesto..

sauteed with garlic, onions mushrooms

throw in smoothies

use them for wraps

taco shells
  • adcede19
    Options
    Thanks for the great ideas!
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    +1 for soup.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Sauteed with mushroom chunks and garlic until just wilted, topped with Parmesan. Great hot (particularly over lentils) or cold (particularly over cottage or ricotta cheese).
  • abickford82
    Options
    I use spinach in juice form. I love it raw or cooked, but I get a ton more veggies in my diet if I juice it with a small serving of fruit. I drink the juices about 3x a day. Even if you just have a blender, you can still get the benefits of it liquified.

My favorite green boiled is swiss chard though, it packs a lot of vitamins, is also good for your hair and nails as well. I just top it with a little bit of sea salt (no butter, or oils) and it's super low in calories. I think the last bunch I weighed was only 30 calories for the whole bunch of it and it was 2 huge tupperware containers worth.
  • BostonStrong617
    Options
    Put baby spinach on your sandwiches, it gives it a crunchy texture but has a mild flavor so it won't change the taste much. Add veggies to an omelet. Spinach is my best friend, sauteed w/ some garlic and olive oil it's delicious by itself or in/on pretty much anything.

I add veggies to pasta sauce for kids, it's a great way to get your veggies without even noticing it and it gives the sauce a good flavor.

Hummus+ Veggies/ Tribe 40 Spice pairs really well with bell peppers.

Like the person above me said, throw some spinach or kale in a fruit smoothie.

Roast veggies in the oven with some butter or olive oil and whatever seasoning you like.

Veggies in pasta dishes or on pizza or in grilled cheese sandwiches, in meatballs, you can make veggie "pancakes" or veggie nuggets.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    You can saute them. I do this at the end of the week, using whatever vegetable is left in the fridge. Works great with leafy greens: Saute in a little olive oil. Then season and put into a corn or flour tortilla with salsa and hot pepper jack cheese and avocado.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I love escarole.
  • imjolly
    imjolly Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I put spinach in just about everything I eat. I put it on my breakfast sandwich, and any lunch sandwich, add it to my smoothie, add it to almost any meal I am making. Love Spinach.
  • tgrey4
    tgrey4 Posts: 56
    Options
    Sauteed with mushroom chunks and garlic until just wilted, topped with Parmesan. Great hot (particularly over lentils) or cold (particularly over cottage or ricotta cheese).

This sounds wonderful. Anything with mushroom, cheese, and garlic, I'm all for it. ESPECIALLY asparagus. Not so leafy...but so wonderful. Pan-seared with all the above, one of the best things ever.
  • sunnyeuphoria
    sunnyeuphoria Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I like to throw a handful of baby spinach into my omelet in the morning and wilt it....
    I cook onions in a skillet with some olive oil until its almost caramelized... then add some mushrooms and fresh greens... and about 1/2 cup beef broth... makes a great topping for meat or a potato
    I like to mix cooked greens with ricotta and stuff chicken breasts
    Cook some pasta and add some greens after you drain it... along with some sour cream, the rind and juice of 2 lemons, and some parmesan cheese
  • riginthering
    Options
    I don't like seaweed, so I use baby spinach in my miso soup. I love sauteed spinach, and berry spinach salads. Not very snacky though.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Sauteed with a little olive oil, coconut oil or butter and garlic. The fat actually helps you to absorb any fat-soluable vitamins

Another way I do mixed veggies is stir fried with any kind of sauce you like. Try a Thai inspired sauce with fresh lime, chilli, basil, fish sauce etc.