Critique My Routine?

Hi guys, I'm new here, although I've been lurking the community for quite a while. I'm pretty new to strength training (in a structured way at least) and so I put together my own routine and I was wondering if you guys could tell me how effective it's likely to be for my goals. I'm a 5'2 female, I weigh 112lbs and although I pretty much have no weight to lose I have quite a bit too much body fat, particularly on my stomach, which my main focus. Aaaanyway the routine is:

5X5 arm curls
10X10 leg presses
5X5 seated chest presses
5X5 seated row
5X5 leg extensions
5x5 lat pull down

I plan on doing this around three times a week and eating around 1500 calories a day. Sorry if my query is completely stupid, just looking for opinions. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Look into:
    New Rules of Lifting (any of them)
    Starting Strength
    Stroglifts 5x5
    Allpro
    Strong Curves
    Blaha 5x5

Pick one.
    Eat a moderate deficit.
    Profit.
  • Look into:
    New Rules of Lifting (any of them)
    Starting Strength
    Stroglifts 5x5
    Allpro
    Strong Curves
    Blaha 5x5

Pick one.
    Eat a moderate deficit.
    Profit.

Thanks. I picked some of the stuff on mine from some of those, as I have to use a mixture of free weights and machines for the foreseeable future you see, and friend who somewhat knows his stuff helped aswell. I'd have similar success sticking to mine as I would something from your list anyway, right? Also do think 1500 is too drastic, or moderate? I maintain on 2000-2100. Sorry for all the questions!
  • LishieFruit89
    Youll have greater success using free weights.
    Can you do squats or deadlifts?

Try 1500 but you might end up hungry. If so, up to 1800ish
  • Youll have greater success using free weights.
    Can you do squats or deadlifts?

Try 1500 but you might end up hungry. If so, up to 1800ish

I know, I plan on getting them as soon as I can, just that I'm kinda stretched for money at the moment. I go to a great little gym, it's just that their weight room isn't up to much, hence the mixture. And thanks, I'll try 1500 for I month and see how I do and up it if needs be. I don't want to screw my metabolism doing too drastic a cut, I love food too much! :laugh: I was told that the leg press is kinda the machine equivalent of both squats and deadlifts, is this so?
  • LishieFruit89
    You can do goblet squats or sumo squats with dumbbells.
    And deadlifts with dumbbells too.

Leg press *might* be ann ok sub for squats depending on which set up (theres a few different kids of leg press machines) but ive never heard of it as a sub for deads.
  • You can do goblet squats or sumo squats with dumbbells.
    And deadlifts with dumbbells too.

Leg press *might* be ann ok sub for squats depending on which set up (theres a few different kids of leg press machines) but ive never heard of it as a sub for deads.

Okay, I'll look those up. I never knew dumbbells could be used for deadlifting. Thanks for the advice btw! :bigsmile:
  • LishieFruit89
    Ive done deadlifts using a low pulley cable machine.

One of my pals here has adapted stronglifts for a cable tower and dumbbells. It takes a bit of researching and asking questions.

Dumbbells are wonderfully diverse.

Use them for chest presses and overhead presses as well.
    You can do rows too.
    And ta da - stronglifts with dumbbells
  • Ive done deadlifts using a low pulley cable machine.

One of my pals here has adapted stronglifts for a cable tower and dumbbells. It takes a bit of researching and asking questions.

Dumbbells are wonderfully diverse.

Use them for chest presses and overhead presses as well.
    You can do rows too.
    And ta da - stronglifts with dumbbells

Great! I feel bad asking lot's of questions, but hey, it's nessecary sometimes. And thanks again.:wink:
  • LishieFruit89
    Not a problem.

Check out the Eat Train Progress group here on MFP.
    Full of great info