Bikram Yoga

Options
Hey,

I am going to a class on the weekend... any tips and thoughts.

I am looking forward to it. I know that I am going to struggle with the breathing and positions but I am willing to give it a go!

Thanks

Jess

Replies

• DancingYogini
    Options
    I love it!! I am totally addicted to it, and try to get in to the studio at least 3 times a week. I am a beginner, but am taking some level 2 classes...I gravitate to the back corner section :smile: I always look at the people around me so I can mimic their poses/posture. I have a bad back, so if it starts hurting or I feel that I am not holding a postion correctly, I back off. Good luck, you will love it!!
  • dmedina
    Options
    Try to do the 10 consecutive days. First few times you will be exhausted physically but mentally you will be relaxed and will sleep very well. I did the 10 classes for $20 and then used it when our company was paying for the classes. When my funds ran out, I had to stop cause I could not afford it. ENJOY every class you can afford:smile::smile:
  • sarakenna1
    Options
    Bring water! Cold water! The heat is usually cranked up to 90 degrees in a Bikrim class. Wear layers you can take off as you get hot. I've been in clases where the ladies were all pretty much stripped down to our sports bras and the men had no shirts on. :) Such a wonderful workout, you will love it! I like to park myself right in front of the instructor so I can watch his/her every move.
  • jayjayingram
    Options
    Unfortunatly the only time I can do this is on the weekends, there is not one near where I work. I have been reading testimonials all day, so are so amasing. I am nervous and excited about this journey. Thanks
  • Stewie316
    Stewie316 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    The heat is 105 degrees and 40% humidity, so bring a big bottle of very cold water. Try to get there early to get a good spot. Some studios have fans (some teachers won't turn them on), try to get under a fan. Also, make sure you drink plenty of water (more than usual) throughout the day.
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    You won't burn many calories. I used to drastically over-estimate the effects of yoga. Don't get me wrong it's great but it just doesn't burn very many calories. With the exception of more extreme hybrids. It's calming though and I like that it teaches you mindful movement.
  • Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I can't bring myself to go into a room that's purposely unbearably hot. Especially with a yoga mat. Doing non-overheated yoga I get sweaty enough to face plant on my mat. Not going anywhere NEAR a room heated beyond the point I'll willingly go outside on a hot day. Do. Not. Get. It. LOL.
  • Stewie316
    Options
    You won't burn many calories. I used to drastically over-estimate the effects of yoga. Don't get me wrong it's great but it just doesn't burn very many calories. With the exception of more extreme hybrids. It's calming though and I like that it teaches you mindful movement.

You don't burn as many calories as the online calculators say, but you do burn a decent amount. Your best bet is to wear a HRM or if you don't have one only go by half or 2/3's of the online calculator, so if it says you should burn 1000 calories, you probably only burned 500-600.

I wear a HRM and I burn 400-450 in the 90 minute class.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I love heated yoga. Been to 2 classes now. The one I go to doesn't call it bikram, just a heated vinyasa flow class?

I've played basketball in 90 degree weather & 50% humidity and have never sweated as much as I do in these classes.
  • jayjayingram
    Options
    I live in Oz I am used to the heat... but still I am trying too drink more water so that I don't get dizzy or feel like fainting.

I am looking forward to it, still I think it will be pretty tough, as I have never done yoga before. I am definatly going to buy 2 classes in advance to I have to go back. I don't mind about the calories I really want to improve my breathing techniques and gain some mental clarity, skin, tone up. I hear it heps with all sorts of problems. So all in all i am going to give it a go.

Thanks for you suggestion and keep em coming
  • jayjayingram
    Options
    I live in Oz I am used to the heat... but still I am trying too drink more water so that I don't get dizzy or feel like fainting.

I am looking forward to it, still I think it will be pretty tough, as I have never done yoga before. I am definatly going to buy 2 classes in advance to I have to go back. I don't mind about the calories I really want to improve my breathing techniques and gain some mental clarity, skin, tone up. I hear it heps with all sorts of problems. So all in all i am going to give it a go.

Thanks for your responses keep em coming!
  • Stewie316
    Options

Thanks for you suggestion and keep em coming

It also helps with toning. I went to Hot Yoga last Friday (haven't been in 6 months) and my muscles was sore for days.
  • Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    It also helps with toning. I went to Hot Yoga last Friday (haven't been in 6 months) and my muscles was sore for days.

Uh, non-heated yoga helps with toning as well. Just saying.