Help with macros.

Options
Now that I've gotten the hang of counting calories and into the habit of weighing my food, I am now trying to pay a little more attention to the macros and have come across an issue. In trying to get most if not all of my protein in my sodium skyrockets. Does anyone else have this problem? If so, do you have any tips or food recommendations that can help me?

Replies

• JordanInMT
    JordanInMT Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry a ton about the sodium intake unless you have a history of hypertension.

Sodium is not bad for you. Too much salt is bad for you. Watch how much salt you are ingesting.

Sodium (Na) is only part of salt (NaCl) which is why it gets such a bad reputation. Sodium is required for a lot of processes in the body including muscular function. However, with the increased sodium intake, make sure to drink more water!
  • kieferz
    kieferz Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Try more herbs to season with instead of salt? I just am struggling to get enough protein period. The macros thing is gonna take some trial and error but I just started watching them too so we can stumble through this together. :)
  • sargessexyone
    sargessexyone Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Try more herbs to season with instead of salt? I just am struggling to get enough protein period. The macros thing is gonna take some trial and error but I just started watching them too so we can stumble through this together. :)

Trying not to add as much salt as I used to. Let's stumble away ;)
  • sargessexyone
    sargessexyone Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry a ton about the sodium intake unless you have a history of hypertension.

Sodium is not bad for you. Too much salt is bad for you. Watch how much salt you are ingesting.

Sodium (Na) is only part of salt (NaCl) which is why it gets such a bad reputation. Sodium is required for a lot of processes in the body including muscular function. However, with the increased sodium intake, make sure to drink more water!

That is good to know. I, probably like a lot of people, assumed to much sodium = to much salt. I have been trying to drink more water.
  • JordanInMT
    JordanInMT Posts: 29 Member
    Options

That is good to know. I, probably like a lot of people, assumed to much sodium = to much salt. I have been trying to drink more water.

Unfortunately, labels do not indicate how much "salt" you are getting, but only how much sodium. A lot of times, the sodium reported does indicate a lot of salt.

Your best bet is to: 1.) Avoid adding extra salt; 2.) Avoid processed/packaged foods as much as possible; 3.) Trust your taste buds - if it tastes salty, it probably is.

Otherwise, I wouldn't worry too much.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    food recommendation from my diary today 2 ounces of bison, 12 grams of protein, and 30 mg of sodium. Hope this helps.