Overeating Mindfully

Options
Thanksgiving....it isn't the bomb, end-all, killer, etc. of eating well. I know I'm going to overeat. In fact, I am planning to overeat. But I will overeat mindfully. I made some T-day goals for myself to help me get through the day without stressing over everything. Just some ideas to share....

* Snack on veggies first, fruit second and minimize the nut, cracker, cheese consumption.
* Keep to wine instead of beer or spiced wine. Since I'd rather drink my calories in booze than in other beverages, I'm going to nix the ciders, nogs or sugary sodas.
* Arrange food prettily on the plate in smaller portions. NO PILING OR STACKING!!! If one MUST have more of something after the initial serving is consumed one may get another plate of food. Heck, it burns more calories to get up for seconds (or thirds) rather than hunkering down with one huge plate, right? Give them peas some peace!
* Go heavy on green foods and light on brown, gray, and white foods.
* Eat mindfully, savor your food, take your time-- even put your fork down between plates. It's ok, really. It's not going to go anywhere.
* Allow some pie indulgence. Heck have two slices, but keep 'em small. Eat a cookie or two! Avoid the al a mode and the whipped cream unless it's a must.
* When your tummy hurts, stop eating. There's always tomorrow!
* And numero uno importance: No elastic pants!

Replies

• PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    phunny gurl, thanx for the giggle, luv ya!:tongue:
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    really great tips actually!! Should print em off, laminate them, and put em in my pocket for holiday use!
  • Determinedchica
    Determinedchica Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips!!!
  • ksnurse25
    ksnurse25 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    awesome.....especially the no elastic waist pants. Definitely going to use that tip.
  • FireRox21
    FireRox21 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Great way to plan out the day!!!!

Luckily, my gym is open Thanksgiving Day, so I'm hitting the pool for a Thanksgiving Day Special....4000 meters of leg burning, arm killing, fat blasting fun.

Then it's Turkey Time, putting up the Christmas tree and hanging Christmas lights!!!!!
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    Love it! So practical! Exactly what I was thinking, too! :drinker:
  • cruz22
    Options
    Love your advice!!!
  • Jenn97355
    Jenn97355 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the advice...and honesty! I am like you in a way...I ALREADY know I am going to eat more than I normally do on Thanksgiving...So I have planned to be VERY careful as to not hurt my stomach. I am so happy at where just 24lbs lost has me right now~~I eat 6-7 small means a day, and am FULL~ and I HATE that hurt, over-stuffed feeling. So I figured, I'd break up my calories among a week, rather than 2 days! We always have certain appetizers, and entrees that are family specific & foods that have a lot of memories behind the making...So, instead of ALL OF IT on one day, we are having small amounts of it over the next week. And then freezing the rest!! I am so excited!! Figured I'd also burn calories off by walking iin the snow after dinner and unpacking 6 boxes of Christmas decorations!!! :drinker: :flowerforyou: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • maureensm
    maureensm Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    really great tips actually!! Should print em off, laminate them, and put em in my pocket for holiday use!

Haha! That's a thought! :)
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Great advice. i have been kinda freaking out about eating tomorrow... or overeating anyways... but i guess i just have to accept that i will. Thanksgiving only comes once a year and i might as well enjoy it.