Is weekend eating out ruining my weight loss?

Options
Hi. I really need to loose about 20 pounds, and I eat VERY well during the week. On the weekend, we eat out Friday, Saturday, and Sunday for lunch. I don't eat salad, but I usually share with my husband so I feel like it's probably not THAT bad. I'm so frustrated....I can't seem to even loose one pound. Help?

Replies

• ebayaddict0127
    ebayaddict0127 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Maybe. Are you exercising? What are you eating on the weekends?
  • LindseyRachelle13
    Options
    Going to be honest....this weekend my husband and I split "the Ultimate Feast" at Red Lobster. Saturday we split enchiladas and tacos (1 of each per person) at a Mexican restaurant. After the play we saw we went to a milkshake place. Sunday, because of the super bowl we had dips, pizza, and pie. But again, I keep it under 1700 during the week. Is the weekend splurging going to never allow me to loose weight?
  • shantizzlerose
    shantizzlerose Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    What you say you're eating on the weekend, sounds like a day's worth of calories in one meal, just about.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Yes, it probably is. Log every day, not just week days. :smile:
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Going to be honest....this weekend my husband and I split "the Ultimate Feast" at Red Lobster. Saturday we split enchiladas and tacos (1 of each per person) at a Mexican restaurant. After the play we saw we went to a milkshake place. Sunday, because of the super bowl we had dips, pizza, and pie. But again, I keep it under 1700 during the week. Is the weekend splurging going to never allow me to loose weight?

Wow. That is a lot of food. It's OK once in awhile, but if you do it every weekend, it will wipe out any deficits you are managing to create. Sorry.
  • BostonStrong617
    Options
    Look at your weekly totals under your reports. If you're going over your weekly goals then it's stalling your weight loss, Not ruining it but it will take longer. Which is fine, and if you ask me more doable and probably better. If you're going over your WEEKLY MAINTENANCE calories however, this is a problem. I really really doubt you are but it's possible. If you eat well 5 out of 7 days that means you're eating well about 70 percent of the time (71.4 % if you wanna get exact) which is pretty damn good and more of a "life style/long term change rather than a short term diet that won't last. So I think you're probably better off. But if you want an answer it's in the numbers MFP provides but if you're asking my opinion I think you're doing it exactly right. It doesn't sound like you're going to crazy on the majority of weekends. And it's not like you're going to eat salad for the rest of your life or skip out on party food. Weekend like this last one with the game will happen. People who approach it with the right attitude and don't deprive themselves are much more likely to find success. People who do deprive themselves are more likely to yo/yo diet or put the weight back on. So I think you're fine especially if you are exercising/somewhat active during the week at work.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Hi. I really need to loose about 20 pounds, and I eat VERY well during the week. On the weekend, we eat out Friday, Saturday, and Sunday for lunch. I don't eat salad, but I usually share with my husband so I feel like it's probably not THAT bad. I'm so frustrated....I can't seem to even loose one pound. Help?

You say you " feel " that it is not that bad and that might be your problem. If you eat out three days on the weekend ( and possibly have a few drinks, a little snack here and there) it not only adds up, but you only have four days in which to make your calorie deficit work. That is not much time. If you want to lose a pound you would have to eat at an almost 900 calorie ( which might not be possible, because going so low is not healthy) deficit from Monday through Thursday to make it even remotely work.
    I would suggest that you make a real effort to figure out how many calories you are actually consuming from Friday through Sunday. Not only will it give you a better idea, but it is also necessary to know how much you actually eat ( even if it is an average ) so you can make the plan work for you. I would think that you probably ingest more calories than you " feel " and that works against you.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    As long as you are at a deficit for the week you will lose fat. It's easy to go way over and erase any deficit you created during the week. What you can do is consider your goal/deficit on a weekly basis instead of daily.

Be sure you log every day and not just on the weekdays. This will help you figure out where to spend your calories.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Probably. I actually eat like this to maintain. Weekly totals are the most important. Cut back on the restaurant food, or drop your M-Th calorie goal.
  • sshintaku
    sshintaku Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    My husband and I used to eat out a lot as well. Since I've cut back to once a week, if that, I've lost a lot more weight and have been able to tone easier. I'm not bloated from salt and carbs and beer, and I feel better. Plus, the once a week single meal splurge is much easier to work into my diet plan than would 3-4 meals out Saturday and Sunday.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    in my experience, yes. I have done the same thing many times and I never lose. You can spend a week building up a deficit of 3500 and easily make up for it on the weekend at restaurants!