I'm trying Bodypump tomorrow.. any advice?

Options
I'm scared. I'm very out of shape. And I'm scared. Any advice? Will the instructors be ok?

Replies

• Hammie023
    Hammie023 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I went to a BodyPump class at my local Y yesterday.

The instructor was very supportive and helped me get a good starting weight setup. I quickly found out how out of shape I really am. However, I am going to love this class. Have not decided if I will go once or twice a week.

Good luck!
  • AlwaysInMotion
    AlwaysInMotion Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Get to class a little early. Ask the instructor or a friendly regular for help with setting up your equipment. Stick to the rear of the class so you can watch folks. As you switch exercises, opt for lighter weights. Don't be surprised if you are sore the next day - it happens to everyone the first time! Ibuprofen helps immensely. And most of all - have fun!
  • donnaleighh
    donnaleighh Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    My fave - my advise is don't overload - use low weights and get used to the moves before you try to load up - pump is about endurance and cardio than weight training, do what you can, drink water, wiggle your toes, enjoy the music, smile and most of all DON'T BE SCARED!!! :)
  • DrWhoodles
    DrWhoodles Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    What I can tell you is that my mom who is mostly about light cardio and is in her 60s loves body pump - it's her favorite type of class.
  • PoomPow
    Options
    It would be helpful if you got there early, and introduced yourself to the instructor. That way, after you tell him/her that it's your first time, he/she can set up the weights for you that you will use. That way, it will be less confusing as you interchange them throughout the class. HTH
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I'm scared. I'm very out of shape. And I'm scared. Any advice? Will the instructors be ok?

Whatever! Lol! I went to Zumba, for the first time this past Sunday. I totally sucked, couldn't do a lot of the moves, and did not care, because I had fun and I sweated...I never sweat. There were times that everyone was shaking their butts that I couldn't keep up, so I just did my own thing to keep moving.

There's no reason to be scared. Embrace the ridiculousness and have fun. :bigsmile:
  • hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    just do it and phase yourself
  • MamaC977
    MamaC977 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My first few times I would have to just set the weights aside and continue with the motions without them. That kept me from quitting all together. You WILL be sore the next day.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Get to class a little early. Ask the instructor or a friendly regular for help with setting up your equipment. Stick to the rear of the class so you can watch folks. As you switch exercises, opt for lighter weights. Don't be surprised if you are sore the next day - it happens to everyone the first time! Ibuprofen helps immensely. And most of all - have fun!

Most of this except I would say go towards the front of the class as it'll be easier for the instructor to keep an eye on your form and help you out if you need it, maybe second row so you still have the benefit of watching somebody

Make sure you give a minimum of three tries before you decide whether you like it. The routines don't change very often so you'll be much more comfortable the second or third time when you know what to expect.

Relax, enjoy and remember it's the stuff in life that scares you that is usually the most fun. Life starts outside your comfort zone
  • jobegone
    Options
    Yeh I'm with the others who have said start of light, it involves LOTS of reps and iv seen a lot of people struggling because they've overloaded. But it's great fun, enjoy !!