Any one else like me?

Options
I have had a very hard time maintaining my weight. I have done it in the past by eating little (compared to my friends) and excersising frequently. Before I had kids I was in the studio 8 hours a week excersising. I complained to my doctors but they have always said that it was just who I was.

I now have two small children, working full time, and just spent over a year of my life in daily pain. I am heathy again, but my bmi is up to 24.9. I am on thyroid meds and my levels are good. I am excersising 3 hours a week. I keep my calories down below the recommended 1200 a day ( most days) and I am still gaining weight. ( it is not muscular either. My pants do not fit). And I am not fibbing. I starting using this program to prove to docs I was telling the truth with what I eat.

The doc says there is nothing wrong with me and that some people just do not require as much food as others. If you are one of those people, can we be friends or can I hear your story? I am discouraged and sad. I have no idea how to lose this weight.

Replies

• Brad592
    Brad592 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Any chance we can see your diary?
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    Hi; I'm sorry, I'm not one of the people you are specifically seeking.

Why have you been in pain daily for the last year?

Regarding not requiring as much food as others, there are only so many options. At the end of the day, you can't do 100 calories worth of work without at least 100 calories worth of metabolized food.

I hope that your tracking here helps you grasp how much you are eating and how much you are burning and helps you to troubleshoot this issue you are experience.

Please don't try to prove anything to the doctors though - let this be an experiment. You set yourself some good & healthy targets; be particular, precise, and painstaking in making sure you accurately measure and record everything that crosses your lips, and see where you are at the end of the experiment.
  • meglizbo
    Options
    Do you weigh or measure your food? It seems like a silly little difference, but for some people it can make a HUGE difference! Maybe give that a shot and see what happens!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I think there are a lot of people that have similar situations. I have a few questions.

1) How long has your thyroid been stabilized on medication?
    2) How accurately are you logging your food? Do you weigh everything or eyeball portions? Do you eat out at restaurants often or prepare most of your food yourself? Do you monitor sodium? Opening your diary might be helpful
    3) Do you have any other medical concerns, like hypertension? Are you on any other medications?
    4) What kind of exercise are you doing?
    5) Last time you lost the weight, how many calories were you eating and how long did you continue to eat that level?
    6) What happened to cause the weight gain this time- was it the pregnancies?

I really believe that there is something else in your story that is causing the problem, other than that you just can't eat much. I think if you open your diary and give as much information as you can, maybe we can help find a glitch that you hadn't realized was a problem. I understand your frustration and just want to try and help if I can.
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Since you're on thyroid medication, I would check there. Full panel, including your Free T4, Free T3 and Reverse T3. A 24 hour saliva cortisol test is a good idea too.
  • scottYBRIDGEWATER
    Options
    Have your metabolism checked. Get a rmr test and a vo2 max test. With your medical history I would assume they would be covered by insurance. With that data you can structure a good diet and exercise program.
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    Have your metabolism checked. Get a rmr test and a vo2 max test. With your medical history I would assume they would be covered by insurance. With that data you can structure a good diet and exercise program.

That's a really good idea.
  • lostmetalchicken
    Options
    Wow - Thank you all for answering and asking questions. I was expecting to hear crickets for 24 hours and maybe one person would say I was just over eating. This is so great I moved from my phone to my big computer to write back.

So here goes

1. I will try to figure out how to share my diary. I was super good about keeping the journal in 2012, but not great in 2013 and just started up again, but you may see some good patterns.

2. I have been battling with weight since I was 14 (and I just turned 40) so I have been weighing and measuring for years. It was really surprising at first. The potatoes in the recipe is definitely not the potato you see in the store. The store ones are generally 3 times the size that the recipe calls for. Don't get me started on restaurant portions. But good suggestion.

3. I was in pain for 14 months due to a headache. I have had a lot of medial testing done due having "new daily persistent headache" for 14 months. Basically you get a very bad headache and it doesn't go away no matter what you do. Image getting a headache and it being with you every hour of every day for up to 5 years - It really sucked, but in trying to figure out why I was in pain, I think I had about every test in the book run. In the end there was no real "cause" of the headache that never goes away, but some faulty nerves. I was hospitalized in December and now I feel about 98% (not 100% yet, but getting there).

4. I have asked about metabolism testing and the doctors here do not really know what I am talking about. Can you give me the full names of the tests and maybe what type of doctor would run the testing?

Now to answer the longer questions.

"1) How long has your thyroid been stabilized on medication? "
    - Less than a year - BUT, I was put on synthroid when my THC (might have wrong initials) was 2.7. I now sit around 1.0. So it wasn't really that high to begin with. I know some doctors do not consider it high until it's over 10 or 5. It was something my doctor tried when she was searching for something to help my headaches before I was diagnosis with new daily persistent headache. They ran the whole panel in the hospital in December and I was in range for the Ts.

"2) How accurately are you logging your food? Do you weigh everything or eyeball portions? Do you eat out at restaurants often or prepare most of your food yourself? Do you monitor sodium? Opening your diary might be helpful"
    I am going to try to figure out how to unlock my diary. I do not eat out in restaurants much, (1 per week) and I do prepare most myself. I do a good bit of eyeballing with veggies but am stickler for nuts, oils, bean, cheese, eggs, etc..

" 3) Do you have any other medical concerns, like hypertension? Are you on any other medications? "
    I am on medication for my headaches. As I said before I am super healthy, except for the stupid headaches which are now under control. All my meds are off label to help prevent the stupid headache from coming back so for example, I am on bystalic (blood pressure lowerer )- though I have lower blood pressure (100/60 area). So please do not read into any of the meds because generally I am not taking them for their marketed purpose. I have been taking synthroid (since mid 2013), bystalic (headache - started in 12/2013), Cymbalta (started mid 2013 though this is my last week of that), dymista (nasal antihistamine/decongestant), for allergies, flexiral (started 12/2013), and diflucan (just for a week or so to fight the yeast overgrowth I got from the IV antibiotics). But really I have been fighting this my entire life.

" 4) What kind of exercise are you doing? "
    I was a modern ballet dancer so I am trying to get back to some type of ballet classes. Right now I am taking 1 ballet class, 1 mid level yoga class and then walking on the elliptical trainer.

"5) Last time you lost the weight, how many calories were you eating and how long did you continue to eat that level?"
    When I last lost the weight was in 2012 before I got my stupid headache. I was on a vegan, oil free, starch free diet (I was also told I was yeast and lactose intolerant). I was about 800 to 1000 calories, but that diet is really strict. Then I got the headaches and one of the meds (darn you elevil) made me gain 20 pounds in 3 weeks. That is when the charting came in handy so I could show the doctor what I eat and that I wasn't just eating bon bons all day. I was eating about 1400 calories a day when I gained that 20 pounds in 3 weeks. Then I lost about 10 pounds in 10/11 or 2013, but I did eating one meal a day (about 500 or less calories) That was when I was in a lot of pain and not trying to eat that little, I just couldn't do anything due the pain. So I went to the hospital in December, I feel great, but the 10 pounds I lost is back. I eat fairly normally in January (about -1200 to 1400 a day). I know I can lose weight if I eat one meal a day - but I am not doing that.

"6) What happened to cause the weight gain this time- was it the pregnancies?"
    See above. I lost all the weight from both of my pregnancies through hard work and eating very little food while breast feeding.

I think I got it all.

I hope I am not running off people with the details. If I am supposed to someone write folks back privately, please let me know the etiquette.

m
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    I appreciate the time you took giving this detail but it's too late for me to digest it so I will come back to this thread tomorrow. I will also bring it to the attention of some smart friends of mine. Just wanted to let you know someone read what you posted- I know it can be exhausting to lay it all out there if you think nobody will read it. :drinker:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Tagging.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Wow - Thank you all for answering and asking questions. I was expecting to hear crickets for 24 hours and maybe one person would say I was just over eating. This is so great I moved from my phone to my big computer to write back.

So here goes

1. I will try to figure out how to share my diary. I was super good about keeping the journal in 2012, but not great in 2013 and just started up again, but you may see some good patterns.

2. I have been battling with weight since I was 14 (and I just turned 40) so I have been weighing and measuring for years. It was really surprising at first. The potatoes in the recipe is definitely not the potato you see in the store. The store ones are generally 3 times the size that the recipe calls for. Don't get me started on restaurant portions. But good suggestion.

3. I was in pain for 14 months due to a headache. I have had a lot of medial testing done due having "new daily persistent headache" for 14 months. Basically you get a very bad headache and it doesn't go away no matter what you do. Image getting a headache and it being with you every hour of every day for up to 5 years - It really sucked, but in trying to figure out why I was in pain, I think I had about every test in the book run. In the end there was no real "cause" of the headache that never goes away, but some faulty nerves. I was hospitalized in December and now I feel about 98% (not 100% yet, but getting there).

4. I have asked about metabolism testing and the doctors here do not really know what I am talking about. Can you give me the full names of the tests and maybe what type of doctor would run the testing?

Now to answer the longer questions.

"1) How long has your thyroid been stabilized on medication? "
    - Less than a year - BUT, I was put on synthroid when my THC (might have wrong initials) was 2.7. I now sit around 1.0. So it wasn't really that high to begin with. I know some doctors do not consider it high until it's over 10 or 5. It was something my doctor tried when she was searching for something to help my headaches before I was diagnosis with new daily persistent headache. They ran the whole panel in the hospital in December and I was in range for the Ts.

"2) How accurately are you logging your food? Do you weigh everything or eyeball portions? Do you eat out at restaurants often or prepare most of your food yourself? Do you monitor sodium? Opening your diary might be helpful"
    I am going to try to figure out how to unlock my diary. I do not eat out in restaurants much, (1 per week) and I do prepare most myself. I do a good bit of eyeballing with veggies but am stickler for nuts, oils, bean, cheese, eggs, etc..

" 3) Do you have any other medical concerns, like hypertension? Are you on any other medications? "
    I am on medication for my headaches. As I said before I am super healthy, except for the stupid headaches which are now under control. All my meds are off label to help prevent the stupid headache from coming back so for example, I am on bystalic (blood pressure lowerer )- though I have lower blood pressure (100/60 area). So please do not read into any of the meds because generally I am not taking them for their marketed purpose. I have been taking synthroid (since mid 2013), bystalic (headache - started in 12/2013), Cymbalta (started mid 2013 though this is my last week of that), dymista (nasal antihistamine/decongestant), for allergies, flexiral (started 12/2013), and diflucan (just for a week or so to fight the yeast overgrowth I got from the IV antibiotics). But really I have been fighting this my entire life.

" 4) What kind of exercise are you doing? "
    I was a modern ballet dancer so I am trying to get back to some type of ballet classes. Right now I am taking 1 ballet class, 1 mid level yoga class and then walking on the elliptical trainer.

"5) Last time you lost the weight, how many calories were you eating and how long did you continue to eat that level?"
    When I last lost the weight was in 2012 before I got my stupid headache. I was on a vegan, oil free, starch free diet (I was also told I was yeast and lactose intolerant). I was about 800 to 1000 calories, but that diet is really strict. Then I got the headaches and one of the meds (darn you elevil) made me gain 20 pounds in 3 weeks. That is when the charting came in handy so I could show the doctor what I eat and that I wasn't just eating bon bons all day. I was eating about 1400 calories a day when I gained that 20 pounds in 3 weeks. Then I lost about 10 pounds in 10/11 or 2013, but I did eating one meal a day (about 500 or less calories) That was when I was in a lot of pain and not trying to eat that little, I just couldn't do anything due the pain. So I went to the hospital in December, I feel great, but the 10 pounds I lost is back. I eat fairly normally in January (about -1200 to 1400 a day). I know I can lose weight if I eat one meal a day - but I am not doing that.

"6) What happened to cause the weight gain this time- was it the pregnancies?"
    See above. I lost all the weight from both of my pregnancies through hard work and eating very little food while breast feeding.

I think I got it all.

I hope I am not running off people with the details. If I am supposed to someone write folks back privately, please let me know the etiquette.

m

Aside from your thyroid issues, I think the main culprit might be Cymbalta. Antidepressants are notorious for weight gain. Not only that but while on antidepressants, it is extremely difficult to lose weight.

Take it from me… I gained over 100 lbs from them, combined with endocrine diseases.

I have been on:
    Zoloft
    Lexapro
    Prozac
    Cymbalta
    Celexa
    Pristiq
    Effexor
    Ativan
    Xanax
    Klonopin
    Propranonol

Lexapro caused the most weight gain but it worked the best for me. I'm glad that you are coming off Cymbalta. I think once you are off the drug, you will begin to lose weight slowly. Hopefully at least. Antidepressants mess with your metabolism so it wouldn't hurt to have your resting metabolic rate tested. The most accurate test for this usually measures oxygen consumption.

I also suffer from daily migraines. So I can relate. I know what it's like to be in pain every day 24/7. I take Topamax for my migraines and it has been a lifesaver. The benefit of Topamax is it is also used as an appetite suppressant/weight loss. It causes weight loss in most patients. I'd recommend looking into this medication if you are not happy with your currently medication. Not only will Topamax help with your headaches but it also might help jumpstart weight loss.

As far as doctors go… You should ask your primary care physician to refer you to an endocrinologist if you don't already have one but considering you have thyroid issues, I'm assuming you already have an endo. The only other thing I can think of would be insulin resistance. Insulin resistance causes weight gain and makes it difficult to lose weight. Have you had your insulin level checked recently?
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

This is a good idea. I had this done last year. It's not bad, $75 or so. It gave me an RMR reading that was basically exactly what I expected from my results thus far at that time.

I just googled it to find a place nearby. I just googled it for Austin TX and came up with a gym that offers it for $75 in Austin. http://www.pureaustin.com/body-by-the-s/

Might be a good sanity check. If your RMR is suppressed via medical issue or medication perhaps, at least you would have something to work with. If it gives you a normal RMR result, then there is a problem with intake vs expenditure.
  • Granville_Cocteau
    Granville_Cocteau Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Is it just BMI that leads you to believe you're overweight? A BMI of 24.9 is in the upper end of what is normal, but those BMI figures are overblown and nobody uses them anymore. (For instance, my docs say I am in good shape, no restriction needed, but the BMI calculator tells me I am in the mid-range of being overweight. If I was trying to lose weight w/ a BMI of 24.9, for me that would entail getting down to about 150 pounds which would be rail thin for me and conducive to loss of significant muscle mass).

Do you know your bodyfat percentage? That is a more reliable indicator than BMI.

Also, there's a possibility that drugs/thyroid may be playing a part in it as previous posters suggested.
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    If you are having other low thyroid symptoms (cold a lot, tired, heavy feeling feet/legs, brain fog, tongue tied) then talk to your doctor about getting on a t3 med. My levels were testing fine but I was still symptomatic and my doctor lowered my synthroid a little and added cytomel and within a couple weeks I finally felt like myself again! Weight started coming off without me having to fight for every ounce....until I got pregnant. I had my meds readjusted and I am back at it again. Really pay attention to your body and your symptoms. If you don't feel like your doctor isn't listening, find a new one ASAP!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    While drugs do influence weight gain there are usually a couple of things to consider - it can be ranted to metabolic modification, edema, or modifications in eating due to hunger signaling. Tracking is essential during those periods. In your diary I only saw the last few days are tracked. If you are very consistent in tracking, over time, it will help.

Second - exercise activity, how intense is your ballet and yoga class? Do you consider these to put you in positions that exhaust your muscles? If not, consider another activity as strength training (it doesn't have to be weights) but in a calorie restricted state with tight clothes you want to assure LBM.

Macros, protein levels are to be watched - you are not always meeting your objectives and they seem perhaps a little low.
    Headaches - does yoga help at all? Have you looked at micro-nutrient deficiencies, in particular vitamin D and B? It is possible that the over strict vegan diet was part of, if not, the reason for the headaches. At 800 cals deficiencies are pretty likely.

Be careful on the random drug suggestions from people here - while it makes sense to consider anti-migraine drugs or reevaluation your thyroid with an Endo, work with your doctor on that.
  • Dugleik
    Dugleik Posts: 125
    Options
    I have had a very hard time maintaining my weight. I have done it in the past by eating little (compared to my friends) and excersising frequently. Before I had kids I was in the studio 8 hours a week excersising. I complained to my doctors but they have always said that it was just who I was.

I now have two small children, working full time, and just spent over a year of my life in daily pain. I am heathy again, but my bmi is up to 24.9. I am on thyroid meds and my levels are good. I am excersising 3 hours a week. I keep my calories down below the recommended 1200 a day ( most days) and I am still gaining weight. ( it is not muscular either. My pants do not fit). And I am not fibbing. I starting using this program to prove to docs I was telling the truth with what I eat.

The doc says there is nothing wrong with me and that some people just do not require as much food as others. If you are one of those people, can we be friends or can I hear your story? I am discouraged and sad. I have no idea how to lose this weight.

Have your doctor actually examined you, or is he just dismissing what your saying about gaining weight on low calorie diet? Either way my recommendation is in part to get a second opinion.
  • kitticus15
    kitticus15 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Is it just BMI that leads you to believe you're overweight? A BMI of 24.9 is in the upper end of what is normal, but those BMI figures are overblown and nobody uses them anymore.

I wish someone would tell my NHS Doctor's surgery that, as all I keep getting quoted is that my BMI says I am obese, lose weight,

Also, to OP I fully understand how you feel, to lose weight I was like you could only eat 1 meal a day, and like you twice I gained 21lbs in 3 weeks, had to drop to one meal a day to stop it.

I actually asked to be referred to either bariatric or endocrology at the hospital and was flatly refused, so I asked why I was struggling to lose weight and was told well it could be the sertraline, but basically you eat too much...

so if the great NHS treats Brits like this we have no hope, I will not ever go and use the NHS again, currently I am saving to go private and am trying to treat myself (depression etc) with exercise and healthy food...
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Is it just BMI that leads you to believe you're overweight? A BMI of 24.9 is in the upper end of what is normal, but those BMI figures are overblown and nobody uses them anymore.

I wish someone would tell my NHS Doctor's surgery that, as all I keep getting quoted is that my BMI says I am obese, lose weight,

Also, to OP I fully understand how you feel, to lose weight I was like you could only eat 1 meal a day, and like you twice I gained 21lbs in 3 weeks, had to drop to one meal a day to stop it.

I actually asked to be referred to either bariatric or endocrology at the hospital and was flatly refused, so I asked why I was struggling to lose weight and was told well it could be the sertraline, but basically you eat too much...

so if the great NHS treats Brits like this we have no hope, I will not ever go and use the NHS again, currently I am saving to go private and am trying to treat myself (depression etc) with exercise and healthy food...

Refused service? There is a process:

http://www.nhs.uk/choiceinthenhs/rightsandpledges/complaints/pages/nhscomplaints.aspx

Since April 2009, the NHS has run a simple complaints process, which has two stages.
    Ask your GP, hospital or trust for a copy of its complaints procedure, which will explain how to proceed. Your first step will normally be to raise the matter (in writing or by speaking to them) with the practitioner, e.g. the nurse or doctor concerned, or with their organisation, which will have a complaints manager. Alternatively, if you prefer, you can raise the matter with the relevant commissioning body such as the NHS England or a local CCG. The process is called local resolution, and most cases are resolved at this stage.

If you're still unhappy, you can refer the matter to the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman, who is independent of the NHS and government. Call 0345 015 4033
    Who can help?

Making a complaint can be daunting, but help is available.
    Patient Advice and Liaison Service
    Officers from the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) are available in all hospitals. They offer confidential advice, support and information on health-related matters to patients, their families and their carers. Find your local PALS office.
    NHS Complaints Independent Advocacy Service
    Since April 1 2013, individual local authorities have a statutory duty to commission independent advocacy services to provide support for people making, or thinking of making, a complaint about their NHS care or treatment. Arrangements will vary between local authority areas. Contact your local PALS or complaints manager, or local authority for information about how this service is provided in your area.
    Citizens Advice Bureau
    Your local Citizens Advice Bureau can be a great source of advice and support if you want to complain about the NHS, social services or local authorities. You can find your local Citizens Advice Bureau on its website.
    NHS Direct
    NHS Direct can advise on NHS complaints. Call 0845 4647.
    The Public Law Project’s website includes a guide to making a complaint.
    NHS Choices complaint process
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Looking through your diary, I question your tracking your methods. You have generic-looking entries like "smoothie" at whose contents we can only guess. I see generic items like "pear, medium" that indicate to me you're not weighing portions. I see entries like "beans, 1/2 cup" that indicate that you're either eyeballing or using volume measurements for non-liquids.

I suggest you invest in a kitchen scale and start weighing your portions. If you're not seeing expected results and your calorie targets are mostly in order, it's time to start being very precise in measurements.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

I will say: once you stop tracking and notice weight issues, it's almost always the lack of tracking. I'd track very, very consistently for awhile before looking at other conditions. Awhile being six weeks minimum.

However, after that: with thyroid, make sure you have an endo on your team. Someone else mentioned saliva cortisol; IF your issues persist and you have other symptoms despite good thyroid levels, adrenal-related things are something to look at (lots of comorbidity there). Perhaps pituitary should be looked at more closely as well, particularly with the interesting note of persistent headaches (Have you had THOSE looked at? MRI? Anything?).

Do you happen to have your most recent thyroid blood panel? And how recent was it?