Breakfast suggestions needed for the breakfast impared

Options
Help. I need breakfast ideas and I have a lot of restrictions and need some ideas. I need breakfast that is portable, quickly made, no yeast (I have an intolerance ), no breads or starches, no meat, no cheese and has some density to it. If I eat fruit only first thing in the morning my stomach gets very acid like. It feels like my tummy is trying to eat itself if I just have fruit or just drink something like a smoothie

Oh and no processed foods if possible.

I can not think of anything so I end up breaking one of the doctors rules and feel super guilty. I wish I could give out a prize for answering Maybe a free virtual ice cream cone. No calories!

Replies

• LTKeegan
    LTKeegan Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Try a protein smoothie? Maybe add almond butter or peanut butter. I often get the tummy trying to eat itself when I don't add protein and healthy fats.
  • Hobb3s
    Hobb3s Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    hard boiled egg, avocado and a handful of almonds. Soy nuts come in a variety of flavours and are high in protein.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    what about eggs?

I'm biased because I totally LOVE eggs, they are one of my favorite foods. But surely there's some way (if you eat eggs) to do this...as for quick and portable, you could hard-boil them or precook, just with a tiny bit of canola spray (or whatever) in a pan and then fold it and stick it in a baggie or container.

I like a cooked egg with a bit of chipotle dressing on it. When I have 'em for breakfast (which is very frequent) I put them on small sized tortillas for breakfast as a "taco" but I know you're not gonna do that...anyway, sometimes I just eat the egg rolled up with a little of the dressing, especially for an evening snack but would totally work for breakfast.

Another idea..oatmeal or steel cut oats soaked overnight in 1/2 milk, 1/2 water (then cooked). This would take a bit more time but you can make ahead and refrigerate. You can add fruit and heat up later if needed.

I hope you find some good solutions!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Eggs?

Large glass of milk and a spoonful of peanut butter?
  • MuseofSong
    MuseofSong Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    You need to speak to your doctors, that put you under all these silly restrictions, and get a professional diet plan from a dietician.

No one here can replace doctors. We have people here who are very good at suggesting meal options and helping people who want to follow a certain type of diet or hit certain macros, but your diet is ridiculous.

If you're having that much of a diet problem--no breads-no meats---no cheese--no fruit--no smoothies, you need medical help.

If you cannot have a bowl of cheerios or rice chex and with a serving of milk or almond milk or whatever milk or some eggs for breakfast, you need to deal with your medical and stomach issues.

You basically started out by saying no to every normal breakfast people have. What's left? eat that . . .
  • scottYBRIDGEWATER
    Options
    Skip breakfast............................go straight to lunch. Breakfast is over rated anyway.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering about the restrictions that this doctor has you on, and why. Those are extensive restrictions and sound almost arbitrary. Complex enough to sound like something purposeful and well-thought out and structured, but:

No meat
    No starches
    No bread
    No cheese

What are these dietary restrictions supposed to be treating?

Milk & cereal.
    Oatmeal.
    Lettuce.
  • notnikkisixx
    notnikkisixx Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Eggs will be your best friend.

I love an egg over easy on top of lightly sauteed tomatoes and spinach. When I want to switch things up I'll do an omelet (1 egg, 1 egg white) packed with veggies.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Ants on a log. Celery filled with any nut butter dotted with raisins. You can even blend a little protein powder with the nut butter to fortify it. Cheap, healthy and substantial
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Help. I need breakfast ideas and I have a lot of restrictions and need some ideas. I need breakfast that is portable, quickly made, no yeast (I have an intolerance ), no breads or starches, no meat, no cheese and has some density to it. If I eat fruit only first thing in the morning my stomach gets very acid like. It feels like my tummy is trying to eat itself if I just have fruit or just drink something like a smoothie

Oh and no processed foods if possible.

I can not think of anything so I end up breaking one of the doctors rules and feel super guilty. I wish I could give out a prize for answering Maybe a free virtual ice cream cone. No calories!

2-3 eggs......scrambled and microwaved....
  • Eggs banana yogurt strawberries
  • lostmetalchicken
    Options
    Thank you all,

I feel kinda dumb for overlooking the nut butters, but I guess I shy away from them because I tend to overeat them, but if I stick in the smoothies, then I can not go back to the jar if it's in my smoothie.

Also eggs are a great idea. Doctor had me on a vegan diet so I eggs were on the bad list, but I am loosing the list a bit to save my sanity. Yogurt too.

Thank you all,

and for those that asked why I am on the diet I am on..... here it is

First off, I hold onto weight extremely well. I would make a great caveperson. Though I am not overweight (BMI at 24.9 damn it), I have been fighting with weight for long long time.

I got high cholesterol when I was 21 (while I was exercising 16 hours a week and diligently watching my weight (I was a dancer). I started being a vegetarian (it's been almost 20 years, so I really don't know how to buy, cook or order meat and I'm kind of scared of it due to my friends who have worked in meat packing plants - ick)

Then I had my first kid and became lactose intolerant - bye bye most dairy (I was so sad to loose cheese, I may have cried)
    Then I had my second kid and become bakers yeast intolerant (I have the labs to prove it - it's not a hokey pokey thing) - bye bye breads, beagles, etc.

Then labs showing high triglycerides and unexplained weight gain (while controlling my thyroid) So my doctor told me to use Dr. Furman's plant based died. So that is basically vegan, no processed stuff, no sugar, no starches. You get bean, nuts, veggies and fruits. I lost weight in 2012 on this diet, butI have fallen off the wagon a bit. I know if I want to lose these 20 pounds I think I have to get back on it and stay on it, even if I don't like it.

As I say - I am running out foods to stop eating. (and whine whine whine - I still am not losing weight)

But now I can eat breakfast - thank you

Each of your can now have your virtual ice cream Sunday.
  • phoenixgirl81
    phoenixgirl81 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    You could make up a big pot of baked beans with mushrooms, zucchini, tomatoes, etc and just reheat the portion that you need each day.

Overnight oats? Or slow-cooker porridge?

For overnight oats, literally just put a portion of oats, fruit, nuts, milk of choice (I prefer soy or coconut milk) in a bowl and leave covered in the fridge overnight. Then just reheat it in the morning and you're good to go. You could also do the same with chia seeds and/or quinoa flakes overnight if you wanted.

For slow-cooker porridge I do this: slice up two apples and put in the bottom of the slow cooker. Add 1/4 cup of brown sugar, 1-2 tsp of cinnamon, 2 cups of traditional oats (not the quick oats), 4 cups of water and leave to cook for 8 hours or more overnight. I serve what I want out of that pot, then put the rest in the fridge in serves. Then the next morning I put the pre-cooked oats in the mircrowave and voila! I always serve my porridge with a sliced up banana, some coconut flakes or shredded coconut, and some LSA and 30-50ml of soy milk on top (that's just how much I like because the porridge is already very moist).

Another option: Scrambled tofu - heaps of vegan recipe sites that have scrambled tofu recipes. I like mine made with a bit of curry powder and some shredded carrot, zucchini and mushrooms. You could serve it with some vegetables (like some roasted potatoes), or a yeast-free wrap.

If you wanted something that wasn't vegan, you could make mini frittatas in cupcake/muffin size where you could chop up veggies and put them into the patty pans, scramble some eggs and split them between each of the moulds and make enough of these frittatas that could be reheated as you need.

You could also make some pancakes (I make mine with mashed banana and silken tofu or coconut flour in place of eggs and flour) and store them to eat over two days.

Hope that helps!

ETA: I just re read and saw that you have a restriction on starchy foods too... Hmmmm...scratch the oats. Can you have quinoa flakes? Definitely try the overnight "oats" with chia seeds though. Scratch the roasted potatoes and yeast-free wrap. You could use flax "bread" (made in the dehydrator out of flax seeds - I buy mine at a local growers market because I can't be bothered making my own)
  • lostmetalchicken
    Options
    Wow. I love the tofu idea.

Now to find a way to get you to come and cook for me????
  • phoenixgirl81
    Options
    Wow. I love the tofu idea.

Now to find a way to get you to come and cook for me????

Haha!! I wish. :) I love cooking so it wouldn't be too much for me. :)

The recipe for mine is roughly:

1 Tbsp olive oil
    1 small onion, diced
    1 small zucchini, shredded or finely diced
    1 small carrot, shred or dinely diced
    a few florets of broccoli, chopped
    250g firm tofu, sliced thinly then crumbled
    1/2 tsp mild curry powder
    1/2 tsp turmeric
    1/2 tsp sea salt
    1 small tomato, diced
    1 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped

Method:

1. In a frying pan, slightly heat 1/2 Tbsp oil, add onion and sauté for 1-2 minutes
    2. Add zucchini, carrot, broccoli ad extra oil. Continue to cook on a medium heat for up to 5 minutes until the carrot begins to soften.
    3. Add tofu, spices and salt and stir through.
    4. Add tomato and parsley and turn to a low heat until tofu is warmed through.

Serves 3-4.
  • phoenixgirl81
    Options
    Another option for you could be some Orange, Date and Polenta Muffins (137 cal, 10 carbs, 5 fat, 2 protein, 55 sodium, 1 fibre per muffin)

2 cups water
    1/3 cup maple syrup
    finely grated rind of 1 orange
    4 Tbsp coconut oil
    1 cup fine polenta (cornmeal)
    1/2 cup almond meal
    1/2 cup dates, chopped
    1/2 cup walnuts, chopped (or nuts of your choice)

1. Preheat oven to 180*C (360*F). Grease a 12 hole muffin tray or line with patty cases
    2. Place water, maple syrup, orange rind and coconut oil in a medium sized heavy based saucepan on a medium heat until warm
    3. Add polenta, almond meal and dates to saucepan and continue to cook on medium heat, stirring continuously with a whisk until mixture is thick and smooth.
    4. Mix through the chopped nuts, then spoon the mixture evenly in the muffin tray. Use a spatula to flatten the tops for presentation.
    5. Bake for 25 minutes.

These muffins are delicious served warm straight from the oven. Muffins will keep for 5 days stored in the fridge. They can be re-heated in a low oven for 10 minutes before serving, if desired.
  • SusanL222
    SusanL222 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I have amaranth for brekkie almost every morning cause it tastes good and has a lot of protein for a grain/seed. The original recipe came from the Ultra Metabolism Cookbook. If you are interested in what I eat with it, my diary is open and if you want the recipe, let me know.
  • lizafava2
    Options
    Once you get in the habit, eggs are actually pretty quick to make and are great because they go with veggies. I try to have greens a couple times a day, so most days I get a serving or two in my eggs. I leave frozen spinach or kale in the fridge to make it even faster in the morning. Easy peasy, and the greens give me the volume I'm looking for in a breakfast without grains. A little avocado and yum!

I love scrambled tofu as well, and always throw greens in that. My scrambled tofu recipe usually involves greens, garlic, cilantro, turmeric and nutritional yeast (not brewers yeast).

Can you eat sourdough? If you are sensitive to "bakers yeast" you might not be as sensitive to real sourdough (break made without any commercial yeast).

What about just a piece of fruit and some almonds for a superfast breakfast?
  • bybyadipocytes
    bybyadipocytes Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    You can cook steel cut oats in the slow cooker, then you have a nice hot breakfast waiting for you.
    Or something super quick and easy might be an apple, some Greek yogurt I add cinnamon and some walnuts thrown in.
  • SeaTurtleJenni
    SeaTurtleJenni Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Bakery on Main instant gluten free oatmeal, takes like normal oatmeal, just add hot water.

Vigilant Eats single serving containers, organic oat based cereals.

Their websites probably tell you where to buy.