Martial Arts for Exercise

Options
Does anyone do martial arts for their exercise? If so, what do you like to do?

Replies

• amycuz14
    amycuz14 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I do! I do karate and kickboxing. You get what you put in, like anything else - there are people in there who hardly break a sweat and take it easy, and others who come out drenched (I'm in that group!). I love it, both for the fitness and for what I'm learning about self defence.
  • jadetigereyes
    jadetigereyes Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I do! I do karate and kickboxing. You get what you put in, like anything else - there are people in there who hardly break a sweat and take it easy, and others who come out drenched (I'm in that group!). I love it, both for the fitness and for what I'm learning about self defence.
    ^-- SO true about what you put in - I'm always drenched after kickboxing class.

I've also been practicing taekwon-do for 10 years; all my classes and self-practice are a fantastic form of exercise and teach a great deal about self control, discipline, and self defense.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I did tae kwan doe until I was 6 months pregnant, because my membership ran out. I LOVED it! I can't wait to get back into it. (Waiting for my 2.5 year old to be able to do it with me.) I just started weight lifting as my primary form of exercise, but I think adding TKD will add the much needed cardio to help with achieving my deficit.

Martial arts are great for: confidence, discipline, challenging oneself, cardio, and self defense. You will love it!
  • Shelgirl001
    Shelgirl001 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I was in Tae kwon do from age 11 to 18,and I achieved my 2nd decided Black belt when I was 15. When I moved out on my own and couldn't afford the classes anymore. I love to do the Kenpo X from P90X currently, and want to get the Beach Body Les Mills Combat to do at home. I love it all... :)
  • loriemn
    loriemn Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    tae kwon do,,yes yes yes!! love it,,but you need to put the work into it to get the workout out of it.
  • poorbikrchick
    poorbikrchick Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I've done TKD (have my 2nd dan), but am looking for another martial art to pursue. I think I'd like judo - not sure, though.