Couch to 5K

Options
Hey there, I've just completed week 2 of the couch to 5k and found it quite hard but I'm suffering with a sore knee and shin and feel really stiff in one leg, is this normal? Any suggestions on how to ease up the pain would be welcomed!! :smile:

Replies

• heroeslegend
    heroeslegend Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I found that initially I had to give my muscles and other fleshy bits time to get used to the jolting that running caused. During this time I found (and still do) that compression gear helped the most. I also found taking shorter strides at a quicker stride rate helped too (i.e. not over extending).
  • carol060606
    carol060606 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thank you, i'm in agony tonight so will try the shorter strides on Thursday for my next run. Many Thanks for your help:smile:
  • wadevb1
    Options
    Your body is telling you to stop running and recover. Recover and start over or pick where you left off.
  • Shagios
    Shagios Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I went through the same thing and I found that doing lots and I mean lots of stretching before and after was the key for me.
    Good luck and don't stop (it is very hard to restart) I'm finding that something I was really into turned into something I now loath!
    I'd rather walk 5 miles now than run :ohwell:
  • lisamge
    Options
    It sounds like you're getting an injury. I would recommend taking a few days off to see how you respond. Unless it's just normal muscle tightness, you shouldn't push through the pain--you'll end up injured and out of commission for a while.

Remember the C25K is a guide. It is ok to repeat weeks while you're conditioning your body to running. =)

Also, you should be jogging slow enough to be able to carry on a conversation--speed comes after you build endurance.

I would also recommend going to a running store and getting fit for a pair of sneakers. When I first started the C25K, I was wearing old sneakers and ended up with shin splints, which went away with rest and a properly fitting sneaker!

Good luck and keep up the great work!
  • christiedavis923
    Options
    I'm also on week 2 - yay us! I found this post run stretch routine to really work for me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgu6poYC-lk
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're getting an injury. I would recommend taking a few days off to see how you respond. Unless it's just normal muscle tightness, you shouldn't push through the pain--you'll end up injured and out of commission for a while.

Remember the C25K is a guide. It is ok to repeat weeks while you're conditioning your body to running. =)

Also, you should be jogging slow enough to be able to carry on a conversation--speed comes after you build endurance.

I would also recommend going to a running store and getting fit for a pair of sneakers. When I first started the C25K, I was wearing old sneakers and ended up with shin splints, which went away with rest and a properly fitting sneaker!

Good luck and keep up the great work!
    This! I'll also add that shin splints are caused by one of three things:

1. The surface is too hard. Avoid running on concrete and stick to asphalt, dirt or grass.

2. Shoes. If your shoes are old and broken down they might not be giving your feet the support they need. Now is the time to invest in a good pair of running shoes. They don't have to be expensive but they should be the right shoe for the way you run. You may need to head to a running store where they can check your stride and foot type and recommend the proper shoe for you.

3. Doing too much too soon. C25K is built to help you avoid injury by having you run only every other day. Do not run on the days between and do not do high impact activities (30 day shred, jump rope, etc.) on the days between running. You should have at least one day each week where you do nothing more than walk and the other days stick to non-or low-impact activities like weight lifting, biking, walking or swimming.
  • srobertking
    srobertking Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Hey! I've just got through the couch to 5k and I'm working on the 5 to 10k.

Somethings that helped me:
    Making sure I'm eating enough carbs and protein. Your body needs both for running.
    Staying hydrated.
    Good shoes and insoles. Go to a running shoe store where someone can help you pick out a pair that works best for your feet. Made a huge difference for me.
    Take days off. If you come to a day that is really hard to get through, don't be afraid to repeat it. I did the first week 3 times.
    Slow down. When I was doing the smaller intervals I really pushed myself. I found I had to be flexible in my pace as the intervals increased in time.
    Listen to your body. If you are in pain it's okay to stop. It's okay to take time off until you've recovered. The program isn't going anywhere.