GNC Whey Protein Powder not for woman - is it true?

Options
there is a GNC store near my home and as i spoke to salesguy there he said GNC whey protein is not for woman, i should buy only GNC Soy Protein

so before buying i want to check reviews with you guys, is that true?

Replies

• blably
    blably Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    first time hearing that...id say bull****. i love my whey protein.
  • creativerick
    creativerick Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    GNC is a horrible place to go for advice on supplements.
  • StarChanger
    StarChanger Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    And many women do NOT need extra soy. The phytoestrogens it contains can cause breast pain, increased menstrual bleeding, etc...although in peri-menopausal women it may actually help relieve symptoms such as hot flashes, night sweats, etc.

There is no reason for women to NOT eat whey. We eat whey all the time in other foods. Whoever told you that is misinformed, at best.
  • Fit_Lean_Priya
    Fit_Lean_Priya Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    i got it, i will do a little more research before i pick my whey protein powder
  • madusm
    madusm Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I am taking Musclepharm combat powder. It contains both Whey and Casein. It is good. Try bodybuilding.com. They offer a wide range of protein supplements. You can compare and then buy them.
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Maybe he was thinking men shouldn't over do soy protein (but I though was mostly for young boys) so in his mind whey is for men and soy is for women? As I understand it, whey protein is just a dairy by product so I don't know what the issue is.
  • smp0723
    Options
    my personal trainer (and my husbands personal trainer-not same person) both say GNC definitely wrong place to go for advice.

My husband uses Solgar Whey protein twice a day-he has lost 20+ lbs and gained a ton of muscle (his intention with his workouts) in 10 weeks.

I am starting up with my trainer again next week and we just had a discussion on Whey Protein - she said women don't need as much as men as our bodies use it differently - she recommends no more than 20g per day. I am currently trying to decide which one I will use as I am also wheat free. I can't wait to see how this works for me. :)
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I am starting up with my trainer again next week and we just had a discussion on Whey Protein - she said women don't need as much as men as our bodies use it differently - she recommends no more than 20g per day. I am currently trying to decide which one I will use as I am also wheat free. I can't wait to see how this works for me. :)

She said women don't need as much protein, or whey protein, and recommends no more than 20g of which? And how exactly do our bodies use it differently? I'm fairly certain my body processes all proteins the same way as my husband's body.
  • palmirana
    palmirana Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    (Whey) Protein is GOOD for women, especially when losing weight, working out and for people with hypothyroidism.... Since I upped my protein intake significantly (and consuming it throughout the day), I do so much better than before....

A lot of GNC people really don't know what they are talking about. Do not take their advice. I went in once to by l-tyrosine (which I now buy somewhere else), and the guy suggested I take pills that are pretty much caffeine suppositories, WTF.
  • janetteluparia
    janetteluparia Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I used to own a GNC, if it is not laced with andro then whey protein is perfectly fine for you. Look for whey protein that is 100%. No added ingredients. I think Designer Whey is really good and there used to be one on the market made by Universal Nutrition that was REALLY good.
  • janetteluparia
    janetteluparia Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I am a licensed sports nutritionist so.....
  • cw822
    cw822 Posts: 107
    Options
    there is a GNC store near my home and as i spoke to salesguy there he said GNC whey protein is not for woman, i should buy only GNC Soy Protein

so before buying i want to check reviews with you guys, is that true?

women definitely do NOT need additional soy - unless it is of the fermented variety. Nothing wrong with consuming whey protein, especially if you are working out. What was his reasoning behind "it's not for women"?
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    if it is not laced with andro then whey protein is perfectly fine for you.
    1NLtoJL.gif
  • smp0723
    Options
    :smile:
  • smp0723
    Options

She said women don't need as much protein, or whey protein, and recommends no more than 20g of which? And how exactly do our bodies use it differently? I'm fairly certain my body processes all proteins the same way as my husband's body.
    [/quote

Whey protein
  • archaichoney
    archaichoney Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Lulwut?

Guess I've been doin' it wrong all along!