how long to stop eating before bed?

Options

Replies

• susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    I asked a similar question and all that responded said EAT to lose! If you leave TOO much time between meals your metabolism slows. Overwhelmed by the response from people who eat at bedtime on a regular basis AND lose, I just shrug and say, oh well. If I need to I do. I never want to go to bed with a "full" stomach, but I don't mind waiting an hour and then going to bed. So far, it hasn't hurt me!

I think it is like asking if you should eat your exercise calories.
  • cupotee
    cupotee Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    DW about it. A giant steak before bed might give you indigestion, but it's still the same amount of calories. As long as your net intake for the day is the same, and your net metabolism is the same (which it always is), you're fine. If not, try eating when you get home at 6, exercising, then showering. Then you'll be nice and relaxed before bed :)
  • jen0619
    jen0619 Posts: 414
    Options
    You can eat any time of day your body still process it the same. Just watch what you put in your body before you go to bed. If you wait 2 hours before you go to bed after eating and only sit around for 2 hours and watch tv well that is just the same as lying in your bed and sleeping.
  • xtinalovexo
    xtinalovexo Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    I asked a similar question and all that responded said EAT to lose! If you leave TOO much time between meals your metabolism slows. Overwhelmed by the response from people who eat at bedtime on a regular basis AND lose, I just shrug and say, oh well. If I need to I do. I never want to go to bed with a "full" stomach, but I don't mind waiting an hour and then going to bed. So far, it hasn't hurt me!

yeah, i see a mixture of opinions. most people seem to eat and go to sleep i suppose. i only asked because i used to eat more frequently before bedtime and wake up with terrible stomach pains, something to do with heartburn it turns out.

thanks for the opinions all, even the borerline rude ones.

if someone isnt on your page or up to your speed or thinks otherwise, dont act like they're a complete idiot!
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    I eat a pretty high protein content dinner between 6-7 each night (as long as I'm cooking at home, eating out - may not be eating until 8 or 9). I stop eating after dinner then do not consume anything until after my workout the next morning @ 7:00.

That's a 12 hour window without food in a fasted state. If I don't have a workout in the morning, that window extends in some cases to 14 hours in a fasted state. Then I consume 3 meals on weekdays with about 4 hrs between them, usually no snacks, usually 2 meals on weekends. Protein shake or food after lifting.

Your metabolism slows when you don't consume an adequate amount of calories to meet your daily activity needs over a longer span of time. What's more important is that you are meeting your caloric intake goals over the span of a week...regardless of whether you consume 2 meals or 6 meals daily.
  • florentinovillaro
    florentinovillaro Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    You can eat any time of day your body still process it the same. Just watch what you put in your body before you go to bed. If you wait 2 hours before you go to bed after eating and only sit around for 2 hours and watch tv well that is just the same as lying in your bed and sleeping.

I agree, but only with the exception of acid reflux. I do a 3 hour window before bedtime just to let everything settle.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    not that i follow this....but i have an app for jillian on my phone and it says dont eat after 9pm
    Broscience. Most people can't eat after 9pm for one reason.......................they reached their calorie allowance by that time. If they haven't, then it's fine to eat up to it after 9pm.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    A good rule of thumb to follow is to stop eating 12 hours after you eat breakfast. (Hoping and assuming you have breakfast shortly after you wake in the morning.)
    And if you don't eat breakfast?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    2-3 hours. This gives the food time to move out of the stomach and gets you past the initial insulin spike we get after a meal so that your body can begin production of HGH on time after you go to sleep. It can only produce either insulin or HGH at one time.
  • Fiery_Vixen
    Fiery_Vixen Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I've heard not to eat after 9 pm but that's for people who go to bed by midnight. I think as a general rule, it's to stop at least 2 hours before you'll be going to bed
  • Cal28
    Cal28 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Both my Personal Trainer, my Doctor & Womens Health Magazine all say at least 2 hours before... (a main meal, not just eating generally)

Although I struggle with this, I get up at 5am and if I try and get the 8 hours sleep (again recommended for those trying to lose weight) this means I need to try & be in bed by 9pm.
    Bit of a pain as I go straight to the gym after work & only get home at 7.30 so by the time I cook dinner it's 1 1/2 hours at very best. :frown:
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I literally go to sleep right after eating dinner because that's the only way I can work my schedule. I am still losing weight just fine. The "no food after certain time" thing is just a way to restrict calories. It's aimed at people who would otherwise snack on junk food at night. There is nothing else magical about eating at certain times of day or not.
  • AH2013
    AH2013 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I'm doing intermittent fasting and they suggest eating only for an 8 hour period. I usually break my fast, after workout, around 11.30am and finish eating around 7.30pm. It allows your body time to digest what you've eaten the previous day before adding more food. I don't starve, I eat all my cals and protein. I no longer wake up with a stomach ache from eating late and then going to bed, and am not hungry in the mornings either. It also stops me binging in the evenings and I enjoy that discipline.

You're going to get so many different opinions but I guess, just eat if you're hungry but give your body time to digest it.
  • SweeDecadence92
    SweeDecadence92 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Eat when you want. I usually have a bowl of soup with a slice of toast while I'm sitting in bed, before I fall asleep. Hasn't had any negative consequences, nor have I seen any studies that would that this is improper, unhealthy or bad for weight loss.
  • JBnyc99
    JBnyc99 Posts: 100 Member
    Options

yeah, i see a mixture of opinions. most people seem to eat and go to sleep i suppose. i only asked because i used to eat more frequently before bedtime and wake up with terrible stomach pains, something to do with heartburn it turns out.

thanks for the opinions all, even the borerline rude ones.

if someone isnt on your page or up to your speed or thinks otherwise, dont act like they're a complete idiot!

OP,...you just gave a perfectly good reason for YOU not to eat so late,...stomach pains, heartburn, etc. If that is still the case, then you have your answer. Either don't eat so late, or try something lighter which will not make you feel ill.

Personally, I have been eating right before bed for the better part of the past 30+ years, and have never experienced any sort of discomfort or illness. So for me, I very often will eat while in bed, and will do so again tonight.

Eating late, or any time for that matter, should not have any measurable affect on your ability to lose fat. The timing of your meals simply comes down to personal preference.

Over the past year or so, I lost all of the weight I gained after an injury,...and nearly every night during that time, I ate 500-1000 cals within an hour of falling asleep. FYI,...it varies, but I normally go to sleep between 2am-6am.
  • JBnyc99
    JBnyc99 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Ughhh. 3 year old post. ;(
  • snugglein
    snugglein Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'd say 3-4 hours.. that's what I hear all the time..
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I have been told, by both my doctor and MFP users, that it doesn't matter when you eat.

The whole eating before bed thing, apparently, is just a myth.
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Just to add, I swim in the evenings, usually finish somewhere around 9pm, I eat at around 11pm, and I'm in bed for 12. It's never affected my weight loss.
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    how did this topic make it back from the ashes?

I usually eat my last food in bed :D wich is well annoying cause you have to get back up again and brush your teeth... someone should invent a bedside toothbrushing system, like what they have at the dentist.

Edit for spelling