Relatively thin, but I can't get rid of stubborn belly flab!

Options
Hi! I'm sure this question has been asked many times, but I am having trouble finding what I want to...figure out. I am 5'6 and weigh about 129 pounds. I am told by most people that I am thin and I wear about a size 4/small. My hipbones stick out, but I can't seem to get rid of stubborn belly flab! I do the T25 by Team Beachbody almost every day and am vegetarian and try to eat healthily and take my vitamins. I used to have an eating disorder and even at my lowest weight (100 pounds) I still had a jiggly stomach and legs. I tend to store my fat there and am sort of pear shaped! I've heard that amping up my protein intake can help, but I'm unsure. I can feel my ab muscles underneath the flab, especially when they are sore from doing ab workouts. How do I get a flat stomach and finally get rid of this flab?! Any help would be MUCH appreciated! Thanks! <3

Replies

• benefiting
    benefiting Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • deeksha_s
    deeksha_s Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Let meknow if you find out! Bump!
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Have you read this? http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1161603-so-you-want-a-nice-stomach

I think the answer for you is basically weight lifting.
  • ThePersnicketyOtter
    Options
    Weights. Work on building muscle, not losing flab... the "flabby" look will go away the more muscle you build.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I'm also 5ft, 6in (and a mom of three kids) and I got a flat stomach by eating at a calorie deficit and losing enough weight. My maintenance range is 117-120lbs/bmi in the 19 range. I also started walking as I transitioned into maintenance, 5-6 times a week/2 miles a time and then I threw in some slow jogging after a while, and that helped (it also did wonders for my calves!).

Now I do an at home strength training program (started in November), but my stomach was already flat before I started that :) My bf% was also already in the 17% range, before I started the strength training. Also, I've never lifted a weight in my life :smile:
  • Edensienna
    Edensienna Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6 and 122lbs and still hold weight on my tummy and thighs... I'm on day 8 of 30 day shred, hoping it will tone these areas. I also walk 1 hour per day at a brisk pace.

I'm interested in reading these responses.. I figured once I lost the excess pounds I would be lean... Guess that's not always a certainty!
  • fshess
    Options
    Thank you! That was very informative. I also really like the way it was written. It had all the things I sort of suspected I needed to do. Obvious calorie deficit, protein intake, strength training...PATIENCE! Which is something I definitely lack! Thanks again! :heart:
  • fshess
    Options
    How do you like the 30 day shred? That's the Jillian Michaels one, right? I have it on my computer and have yet to try it. Good luck on losing what you wanna lose!
  • fshess
    Options
    I'm also 5ft, 6in (and a mom of three kids) and I got a flat stomach by eating at a calorie deficit and losing enough weight. My maintenance range is 117-120lbs/bmi in the 19 range. I also started walking as I transitioned into maintenance, 5-6 times a week/2 miles a time and then I threw in some slow jogging after a while, and that helped (it also did wonders for my calves!).

Now I do an at home strength training program (started in November), but my stomach was already flat before I started that :) My bf% was also already in the 17% range, before I started the strength training. Also, I've never lifted a weight in my life :smile:

That is my ideal weight, about 120 pounds. Any thinner than that on me ends up looking odd on me. Not saying that for you, btw! I just have a thin face no matter what weight I'm up, so at a low BMI it looks even thinner. Thanks for the jogging tip! Running is something I'd like to start doing eventually. My thighs gain weight fast in my body, and I'm guessing running would help. Not to mention it seems like a good stress reliever. Do you have a good strength training routine? What do you do? Do you do..a video exercise or...? Sorry for all the questions! I am just very interested. :happy:
  • fshess
    Options
    Weights. Work on building muscle, not losing flab... the "flabby" look will go away the more muscle you build.

Thank you! :smile:
  • fshess
    Options
    Have you read this? http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1161603-so-you-want-a-nice-stomach

I think the answer for you is basically weight lifting.

I am new to posting on here, I meant to quote your post in my reply below, so here it is again. THANK YOU!!!...

Thank you! That was very informative. I also really like the way it was written. It had all the things I sort of suspected I needed to do. Obvious calorie deficit, protein intake, strength training...PATIENCE! Which is something I definitely lack! Thanks again! heart
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" and weigh ~ 125 lbs. Fat on my belly and thighs is the last to go. It's pretty much gone now, I'm in the process of fine tuning. I recommend resistance training.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

That is my ideal weight, about 120 pounds. Any thinner than that on me ends up looking odd on me. Not saying that for you, btw! I just have a thin face no matter what weight I'm up, so at a low BMI it looks even thinner. Thanks for the jogging tip! Running is something I'd like to start doing eventually. My thighs gain weight fast in my body, and I'm guessing running would help. Not to mention it seems like a good stress reliever. Do you have a good strength training routine? What do you do? Do you do..a video exercise or...? Sorry for all the questions! I am just very interested. :happy:

When I say jogging-I mean a really slow run, as in old people literally speed walked past me :laugh: But, it did help and it was a good beginners exercise for me :) After the weather turned I quit the walking/running and got a rebounder (mini-trampoline). This thing is a blast to use and I love jogging and 'jump roping on it. I do this 3 days a week/20 minutes a time right now.

For strength training I LOVE what I'm doing-Mark Lauren's Body By You program (it's a book, you can get it for under $20 at bookstores or on Amazon). It's just 30 minutes a time/3 days a week and you don't need any extra equipment.

I already had the flat stomach before I started, but it was squishy to the touch still. Now it's really firm-I still can't believe it's me :laugh: And it's made the muscle definition in my arms and shoulders pop big time! I also flexed my legs and saw actual muscle definition peeking through yesterday-the first time in my life this has happened (I'm pear shape and have always carried extra 'oomph' in my thighs and bum). For me the strength training program has really fine tuned things and I can't wait for swim suit season, for the first time ever :bigsmile: