Pushup Question

Options
I've been doing incline (dining table) pushups with the goal of doing full pushups from the floor. I just read the "Convict Conditioning" section to see what they recommend. They define a full pushup as one where your chest would touch a baseball that the lowest point of the movement.

I've been trying to do them so that my chest touches the floor and failing, but I can do them at this modified height. However, this is not what I'm seeing on YouTube.

Should I continue progressively getting lower on incline pushups?

Should I do the modified height pushup with the goal of moving my chest closer to the floor?

Should I do something else?

Replies

• Crumpet_Girl
    Crumpet_Girl Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Nose touching the floor is what I have always considered a "full" push up. lol

I'd keep doing them if I were you, you will progress with time.

I wouldn't stress too much about exactly how low your getting - make sure your form is good and do them. Over time you will improve and eventually you will be doing them one armed :wink:
  • Depictureboy
    Depictureboy Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    There's no shame in doing pushups on your knees. I still do sets of the when I run out of steam on full pushups.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Except that I really like what balancing on my toes is doing for my waist :wink:
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Thanks OP, now I have to go buy a baseball to measure. :grumble: Are you sure it wasn't a softball because that is about as far down as I am getting. LOL! Awesome that you are pushing yourself! :drinker: It took me over a year of trying to do just one!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    To tell the truth, I couldn't do it to my lacrosse ball, so I chose my daughter's small pink ball as an alternative. It's probably more softball sized :laugh:
  • Kirk_R
    Kirk_R Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Touching a baseball instead of the floor is going to be a bit easier on your shoulders. I err on the better safe than sorry side but then I've also had chronic tendonitis so...
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Thanks all!
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Yes - lowering in a push-up to the level where your sternum would touch a tennis ball ensures that your upper arms are about paralell to the floor which is mechanically safe. Any lower and you put excess strain on your elbow joints which is not good and you get no better results for going lower.

The only time I would go to the floor would be if I was going to lie right down and do a backbending movement - like Cobra in Yoga - then push back up from the floor.
    Except that I really like what balancing on my toes is doing for my waist
    Pushups are superior to bench press in that they hit the core, quads, calves and obliques so you get more returns for your efforts.
  • russellvolk
    russellvolk Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I do Power 90 routine. It involves doing a few push up sets. When I first started, I couldn't do a single push up, so I started off the kitchen counter. Then I progressed to doing push ups on my knees. Now I do around 100 push ups like a real man.

It takes time. Be patient and you'll get there. Once you do 1 good push up, then you'll see, that number will start increasing quickly.
  • simsburyjet
    simsburyjet Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Doing push ups on your knees is a waste of time... Doing them on a bench is much more beneficial.
    Push ups are the perfect exercise and I would keep trying until I could do a full push up.
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't stress too much about exactly how low your getting - make sure your form is good and do them. Over time you will improve and eventually you will be doing them one armed :wink:
    [/quote]

I was thinking this same thing. When I first started I could not do that many and now I do around 35-40 standard push-ups at a time or 15 plyo or decline push ups. If you want to work your core then you can try planks or spiders as well. You will get there in no time if you remain consistent.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    There's no shame in doing pushups on your knees. I still do sets of the when I run out of steam on full pushups.

Knee push ups aren't useful in training you for on-you-toe push ups.
    Incline push ups like she is doing is the way to go.

You aren't engaging your core in knee push ups.
  • Kamalka
    Kamalka Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Keep on going! As long as you keep straight and do not feel pain in your arms, shoulders and back, you are doing good. I had the same kind of issue but started to do them on fist (on something soft but not a carpet as it burns) before going down. It took me only a couple of sessions to improve strength even thought it used to hurt my fingers joints at the beginning. I noticed it is much more easier if I leave more space between my hands as my elbows get outside instead go being straight, but I don't think it is recommended.

I now use PushUps app from Runtastic (partner with MFP, so accounts are connected) for Iphone, which made me go from 4 push-ups max (it starts at 1) to 50.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Varda - if you're going to be doing a lot more pushups in the future, go out and get a cheap pair of pushup bars. Pushups with hands flat on the ground might tweak your wrists. It's painful for me due to a lifetime of computer work (carpal tunnel). The bars are much more comfortable.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Yes - lowering in a push-up to the level where your sternum would touch a tennis ball ensures that your upper arms are about paralell to the floor which is mechanically safe. Any lower and you put excess strain on your elbow joints which is not good and you get no better results for going lower.

The only time I would go to the floor would be if I was going to lie right down and do a backbending movement - like Cobra in Yoga - then push back up from the floor.
    Pushups are superior to bench press in that they hit the core, quads, calves and obliques so you get more returns for your efforts.
    A properly performed bench press hits all those muscle groups as well.
  • yogicarl
    Options

Pushups are similar to bench press in that they hit the core, quads, glutes, calves and obliques and are great if you can't get to a gym or prefer not to use weights.
    A properly performed bench press hits all those muscle groups as well.

edit: Fixed above - because I often get over-enthusiastic about bodyweight training, because it's awesome!.
  • zboone05
    Options
    Sometimes it is helpful for me to see how the "extreme" version of a specific exercise feels so that the more normal movement doesn't seem timid. That sounds odd i know, but if you look at this youtube where he does push ups on the blocks, you might find your doing this gives you the confidence that you can go lower to the ground than you are comfortable doing now. You are sort of going "beneath" the ground if you do this version. It helped me get going so maybe you will like it too. Good luck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLRsVnnj3LU
  • yogicarl
    Options
    Intersting You Tube - thanks.

I can see how this could be used to extend the Military Press also; once you can get your face to the floor.
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I know this is a serious question and I, too, wanted to know the answer. However, I just gotta say it: My boobs are bigger than a softball, so should I just be happy if my boobs touch the floor? :bigsmile:
  • yogicarl
    Options
    Thsi might be useful to the original poster (or anyone else working towards getting the first real push-ups) - to do some negative push-ups.

To do this, start from the high plank position then sl-ow-ly go down to the low push-up position (I call this Chaturanga Dandasana in yoga), hold the low push-up position for a brief moment and then relax completely onto the floor. Then its up to hands and knees and then high plank for another slow negative push-up.

working the negative will help build strength in the low part of the push-up where you need the strength to push back up out of the low position.

PS: I don't know about boobs touching the floor, but my belly used to get there first!:bigsmile: