WANTED: A Sweet Potato Recipe

Options
autumnleann
autumnleann Posts: 15 Member
I have a new found love for sweet potatoes and have volunteered myself to make them for Thanksgiving in TWO DAYS!! :)
The problem is... I have only ever microwaved my sweet potatoes for lunch at work or a quick dinner at home.... What is something good to do with sweet potatoes?

Replies

• udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Bake off about three large sweet potatoes. Let them cool until you can handle them without burning yourself. Scoop them out. Place them in a bowl, mash them with about 3 Tablespoons of Smart Balance Light butter stick. Add cinnamon, about 1 tsp. Place them in a casserole dish, sprayed with non stick spray. Mix together in a separate bowl 1/4 c. crushed pecans and 1/4 c. dark brown sugar. Place on top of potatoes. Bake at 350 for 25 to 30 minutes.
  • poppe21
    Options
    I actually make this for my family quite often and it is very easy! Simply cube the raw sweet potatoes and place in a bowl. Put a little olive oil on the potatoes and then season. We usually put a little garlic and a little cinnamon. Mix the potatoes until evenly coated. Poor them out onto a baking sheet that has been sprayed with cooking spray and put in a 375 degree oven for 45 minutes. Super easy and very good!
  • WildFlower7
    WildFlower7 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    My favorite by far and I've tried a few!

3 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
    1/2 stick butter
    1 banana, sliced
    1 orange, zested and juiced
    1 cup chicken stock
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
    Salt and pepper
    Directions
    Boil potatoes until tender, drain and reserve. Return the pot to the stove top over medium heat. Add butter and bananas to the pot. Cook bananas 5 minutes and add the juice of 1 orange to the pot, reserve the zest. Allow the juice to cook out, 1 minute. Add potatoes to the pot and the stock and sugar. Mash potatoes, banana, stock and sugar together until well combined. Season with nutmeg, salt, pepper and orange zest, to your taste. Mash to combine spices and serve.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    WANTED: NOT ANOTHER DUPLICATE POST!!!

Ahhhhh! Please use the search function.

Ps: its almost 4:00 I'm hungry therefore a little crancky, can you tell, LOL! Its not personal but the search function really is great b/c so many other MFP’ers who post wont post again b/c they too are tired of duplicates so you miss all the good ones including ones with photos (mine!)

Thanks in advance.
  • elainegsd
    elainegsd Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    This is the one that I'm making:
    http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/2770
  • MayaPapaya64
    Options
    Dice them and use instead of regular potatoes in a pot roast. It's SO easy. Grab a hunk of beef for roasting, coat in flour, salt and pepper (garlic powder too if you like) and then pan sear until sides are brown and carmelized. Throw it in a roasting pan with diced sweet potatoes, celery, carrot, onion, garlic (you can also add squash, turnips, parsnip - anything you have laying around)...a little water in the bottom of the pan maybe some gravy master...salt and pepper it...and then cover and cook for at least half hour per pound on 350. Very good.
  • elainegsd
    elainegsd Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    WANTED: NOT ANOTHER DUPLICATE POST!!!

Ahhhhh! Please use the search function.

Ps: its almost 4:00 I'm hungry therefore a little crancky, can you tell, LOL! Its not personal but the search function really is great b/c so many other MFP’ers who post wont post again b/c they too are tired of duplicates so you miss all the good ones including ones with photos (mine!)

Thanks in advance.

Maybe she was looking for something besides mashed sweet potatoes? (Ducking and running....)
  • julest25
    julest25 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Great recipes. Some people don't see the original post to give their recipe so it means we get even more recipes to choose from.:wink:
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Maybe she was looking for something besides mashed sweet potatoes? (Ducking and running....)

Yea you better run, GRRRRRRRRRRR HEATHER HUNGRY, HEATHER BITE!!! Lol! ;)

That's just mine and the most popular method (method not necessarily recipe, I wanted to differentiate in case you thought I was ego tripping) since everyone has US thanksgiving on the brain but there are so many other responses on "what to do with a sweet potato" in the search function.
  • rjacobsen11
    rjacobsen11 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    splenda brown sugar is great
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
  • lisajuly
    lisajuly Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I am making Savory Sweet Potato Casserole

Recipe here ==> http://kitchen-parade-veggieventure.blogspot.com/2010/11/savory-sweet-potato-casserole.html

I chose it because i can do the potatoes the day before and then just pop it in the oven on Thursday before we eat.
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Sweet potato fries:

Dice up your raw sweet potato (or slice em up like fries), splash them lightly with olive oil, then sprinkle them with roasted red pepper spices. Cook at 350 for about 30-40 minutes (depending on how much you make and how warm your oven gets). I eat these with a home made chicken wrap, YUMMY!
  • AdventureVia
    AdventureVia Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    mmmmmmmmmmmm swwwweeeettttt! (potatoes!)
  • size10again
    Options
    i make a lush soups with mine.

spicy thai sweet potato soup
    sweet potatp & apple soup
    chorizo & sweet potato soup.

If you want the recipie, email me and i'll send them to you.

All of them are skinny soups!
  • ashley0616
    ashley0616 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    This is great because I am in charge of making sweet potatoes this year as well. Usually they have 1/2 and 1/2, butter, brown sugar, marshmallows, etc, in them. This year with my and my family's healthy living, I'm going to try to make it a bit less fattening and not tell anyone. Marshmallows on the side! The horror! :wink: We'll see how it goes!
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Easy Peasy! Chop up desired amount of sweet potatoes into bite size chunks. Put in a oblong cass dish (I use a 9x13), put some chunks of butter here and there (about 1/2 stick), sprinkle cinn and nutmeg and brown sugar on them. Add just enough water to cover the bottom of the dish (maybe 1/8" deep). Cover with foil and bake until tender. You can also bake them 1/2 way and remove the foil and let them "toast" a little and cook off some of the water. Works every time!
  • mtwd65
    mtwd65 Posts: 51
    Options
    My favourite way to eat them is just to bake them. They come out soft enough to feed to a baby with nothing added. (In fact my babies did have baked sweet potato as one of their first foods)
  • mtwd65
    mtwd65 Posts: 51
    Options
    I love the idea of spicy thai sweet potato soup, I do this with pumpkin I must try it with sweet potato.
  • size10again
    Options
    i personally dislike pumpkin, i made apumpkin pie over halloween, and can't say i was overly impressed.

I've also got a cook book with a cupcake made with sweet pots too!