Strength training pain hurts so much

Options
So I am meant to be doing strength training three times a week but I can't even manage one day without being in so much pain... to the point I didn't want to walk. I actually haven't gone back since the first one to do it. I've left two rest days to recover, however, I was think I could maybe do it the day before my Body Balance class (Yoga, Tai Chi, Pilates) since it seems to stretch my muscles. That should make a difference right? I dread doing strength training... I'd rather avoid it but I know it's just as important as cardio so I want to try.

Thanks for your advice!

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    It goes away. You just have to keep at it.

There is a reason there are long standing jokes about leg day making people in capable of walking for days afterwards.... and mostly those are made by people who do legs maybe once every 2 weeks if that.

If you train legs regularly- you won't be that sore- being sore just means you are using muscles you haven't used in a while.

You can get through it but you have to break the pattern and keep working. Take a day off and then work something else- but the best thing for sore is water- foam rolling- and more work.

Good job at strength training- and keep it up!
  • keithemp
    Options
    One thing that helps me when I haven't worked out in a while is to take it slow. I take one week where I lift fairly light, just to get a milder version of DOMS. The next week I increase the weight to a halfway point, and there is still soreness, but it's just not as bad. By the third week, I'm lifting heavy and I still get sore, but it's tolerable.
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Do you warm up and stretch enough before, and cool down and stretch afterwards?

DOMS can hit you hard if you don't. Either that or drop the weight and progressively load from there.

Make sure your form is right.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    So I am meant to be doing strength training three times a week but I can't even manage one day without being in so much pain... to the point I didn't want to walk. I actually haven't gone back since the first one to do it. I've left two rest days to recover, however, I was think I could maybe do it the day before my Body Balance class (Yoga, Tai Chi, Pilates) since it seems to stretch my muscles. That should make a difference right? I dread doing strength training... I'd rather avoid it but I know it's just as important as cardio so I want to try.

Thanks for your advice!

Hopefully you started with really light weights. Or even the bar only. The discomfort/soreness you feel is normal and means that you tore down your muscles and they are rebuilding. I wouldn't work the same group of muscles three times a week, but focus on lower body one day, upper body another, and core the third. You know - spread the "pain" around slowly to all body parts. ;-)

Your body will adapt and the discomfort will not always be so bad as it is in the first few sessions. You will learn the pacing, form, and really enjoy the metabolism boost.
  • Jennisin1
    Jennisin1 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I love that feeling.......
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Well, it does get better, you won't ache nearly as much once you begin regular sessions and your body/muscles get used to working more.

Also, make sure you stretch when you finish, I find if I don't stretch well I definately feel the soreness more.
  • ThePersnicketyOtter
    Options
    Make sure you're not doing too much, too soon. And if it's just normal muscle soreness (not pain caused by an injury or medical issue), if you (lightly!) exercise what hurts, it hurts significantly less... if your legs hurt, take a slow walk, etc. I'm not sure if that works for everyone but it's what I've found to be best at helping. And hot baths after the workout.

And it does get better, just hang in there!
  • T_X_L
    T_X_L Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Just make sure what you have is "good pain". By that, I mean a muscle type soreness, like you may feel with the flu. What you DON'T want is sharp, shooting pain which may be an injury. Warm baths and stretching helps. So do NSAIDS (aspirin, etc.)
  • benefiting
    benefiting Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    The first month or so is the worst. It gets better. One thing is, don't train so hard in the beginning. Do that later. Just do the movements and get used to it. You shouldn't be loading up the weight. Let that happen later once you're into it.

I'm not loading on the weight. I'm on the lightest weight possible, if not on all the machines. I feel like it's because the trainer has me doing 3 sets of 20 squats and then another 3 sets of 20 for lunges. I'm thinking about lowering that until I get stronger to save my legs a bit.
  • Dawn810511
    Dawn810511 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm working out only with hand weights right now and they're only 8 lbs. But I will tell you that with me having no prior experience with exercising at all, those first couple weeks hurt so freaking bad!!! I have been there! But I promise you, it will go away eventually. Keep pushing!!!
  • tlcarolinagirl
    tlcarolinagirl Posts: 1,700 Member
    Options
    Ditto what others are saying. Just listen to your body. As long as you don't have those stabbing pains and it's just soreness, you are probably okay. I have been strength training since December 1st and I have not had a day yet where some muscle somewhere on me wasn't hurting. It's actually a running joke with my son, who says I am a pansy. Hang in there and try to enjoy the pain. :drinker:
  • donnat238
    donnat238 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    It will get easier as you go. Make sure you are drinking enough water and I always take a warm bath and soak afterwards. My trainer started with 2 sets of squats and lunges and I could barely walk for 3-4 days, but now I can do 3 sets of 25-30 with no problem!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

There is a reason there are long standing jokes about leg day making people in capable of walking for days afterwards.... and mostly those are made by people who do legs maybe once every 2 weeks if that.

If you train legs regularly- you won't be that sore- being sore just means you are using muscles you haven't used in a while.

You can get through it but you have to break the pattern and keep working. Take a day off and then work something else- but the best thing for sore is water- foam rolling- and more work.

This. When I get into a routine, I'm sore for the first week or two. After that, I never really get sore. You adapt.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    The first month or so is the worst. It gets better. One thing is, don't train so hard in the beginning. Do that later. Just do the movements and get used to it. You shouldn't be loading up the weight. Let that happen later once you're into it.

I'm not loading on the weight. I'm on the lightest weight possible, if not on all the machines. I feel like it's because the trainer has me doing 3 sets of 20 squats and then another 3 sets of 20 for lunges. I'm thinking about lowering that until I get stronger to save my legs a bit.

Wow! That's quite a Training Stress Load to start out with 60 squats, and 60 lunges!!! No wonder you're in pain!!!! I would question your trainer and start in with fewer reps. I think 2 x 20 is too much for an initial session. How about 2 x 8 to start things out slowly and work your way up after a week or two of adaptation?

I can feel your pain - especially as you sit down to use the toilet. Ouch!!! Those squats and lunges tore plenty of tissue that will take a good week to repair itself before you can tear it again.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options

Defo the above.

As for Body Balance, I'd do Body Balance the day before. I practice tai chi and train before I lift.
  • mcspiffy88
    mcspiffy88 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    This doesn't look like a set / rep problem, sounds more of a recovery problem. Yes the first time can be painful but after it things get awesome.. (pun intended).

By what you are saying it is most probably a low protein diet problem but it could also be some micronutrient missing, I doubt anyone here can say for sure. if this was indeed your first strength training session I wouldnt worry about it, the next times it will get less and less painful. Its something everyone deals with and theres no way around doms for first timers. After all you havent used those muscles to their full extent in LONG time if at all in most cases.

Baths stretching tai chi and whatever are all good but unless you get your diet fixed its not going to work ...
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    No need to go super light just because you're new. You don't want to go really heavy until you learn proper form, but you do want to be pushing yourself. Just expect to be really sore the first time you work a muscle. For me, I get really sore the first time I work a muscle (after a lengthy break from lifting), and then every subsequent time I just get minimal soreness. Hot baths and heating pads help a good bit with DOMS and I find doing some sort of full body cardio about 3 days later really helps shake out the initial soreness. Just push through it, as it's only the first two weeks when you'll be crazy sore.
  • benefiting
    benefiting Posts: 795 Member
    Options

Wow! That's quite a Training Stress Load to start out with 60 squats, and 60 lunges!!! No wonder you're in pain!!!! I would question your trainer and start in with fewer reps. I think 2 x 20 is too much for an initial session. How about 2 x 8 to start things out slowly and work your way up after a week or two of adaptation?

I can feel your pain - especially as you sit down to use the toilet. Ouch!!! Those squats and lunges tore plenty of tissue that will take a good week to repair itself before you can tear it again.

That's what I think. I might try it 2 x 8 to start off with. Thanks for the tip!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

yeah that seems like an awfully high volume. sets of 10 are more realistic.