Best protein powder/ protein bars while nursing

Options
I have trouble reaching protein most days yesterday I came close but it took most of my protein items for the week like cottage cheese and chicken made up most of my days so I'm oping for protein powder or bars that I can maybe find in walmart or target even Kmart any suggestions from any nursing moms my LO is 9 months so milk supply has been established

Replies

• Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Quest bars are one of the better mixed bars.. but they are pricey! I think the Luna ones might be next as well.. but again $$$ I think Walmart sells some that are 20g protein, but the sugar/carbs/etc are pretty high.. but its high protein.
  • DJ478
    DJ478 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Oh ok I was on walmart website and I did see Luna bars cliff bars and power bars shows me nutrition info but I didn't know if it was safe while nursing
  • fit921
    fit921 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I would definitely recommend Quest nutrition, well worth the $$
  • Greytfish
    Options
    If you are nursing, I would stick to proteins from foods like meats, fish, and eggs.

Most protein shakes are quite high in heavy metals. Fine for an adult at a rate of 1-2/day, but not an ideal thing for a nursing mother.
  • DJ478
    Options
    yeah i tried sticking to real foods but to do so i would run through chicken yogurt and cottage cheese fast
  • jigsawxyouth
    jigsawxyouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Luna bars are pretty tasty, but they get boring after a while. While nursing, I was using Optimal Solutions Complete Protein and Vitamin Chocolate Shake Mix. I'll make a smoothie with that, half a cup of skim milk and half a cup of a Bolthouse Farm blended fruit/veggie drink. Complete multivitamin, and a great quick meal on the run! (I work full time, and when I was nursing, I was also going to school full time. So, in a pinch, this was AWESOME)

I know it seems a bit silly to make a smoothie with a smoothie, but I'd much rather do that than buy a bunch of produce that goes bad from me not eating it.
  • lemur_lady
    lemur_lady Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I am nursing my 19 month old and take protein powder. I only use it after a workout though so its only 3x a week and she only nurses twice a day now so any getting through to her will be minimal.

Maybe take it but try and get your protein through natural sources first and only take it if you are very under your protein goal for that day.
  • DJ478
    Options
    I am nursing my 19 month old and take protein powder. I only use it after a workout though so its only 3x a week and she only nurses twice a day now so any getting through to her will be minimal.

Maybe take it but try and get your protein through natural sources first and only take it if you are very under your protein goal for that day.

yeah my son isnt nursing alot either 2/3x a day hes also formula fed and has solids now
  • Greytfish
    Options
    Do you not eat any meat except chicken? There are lots of options besides chicken and cottage cheese. And none of them would pose the same risk.

If you're going to do a protein shake, I would check with a nutritionist who deals with expectant of new mothers and clear it with your doc.

Honestly, he's old enough that you could express milk and freeze it and then have your protein shakes without concern.

This is just one example of testing that has been done:
    http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine-archive/2010/july/food/protein-drinks/what-our-tests-found/index.htm
  • DJ478
    Options
    Do you not eat any meat except chicken? There are lots of options besides chicken and cottage cheese. And none of them would pose the same risk.

If you're going to do a protein shake, I would check with a nutritionist who deals with expectant of new mothers and clear it with your doc.

Honestly, he's old enough that you could express milk and freeze it and then have your protein shakes without concern.

This is just one example of testing that has been done:
    http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine-archive/2010/july/food/protein-drinks/what-our-tests-found/index.htm

No I also eat turkey string cheese lean steaks
  • Greytfish
    Options
    You can do a lot with those to add flavor and variety. Maybe check out some crock pot recipes.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I drink a whey protein shake after my workouts. Nursing 2x per day. Whey protein is the only kind I feel comfortable with taking while I am nursing.
  • DJ478
    Options
    I drink a whey protein shake after my workouts. Nursing 2x per day. Whey protein is the only kind I feel comfortable with taking while I am nursing.

What kind are you using
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Bacon.

Natures protein bar.
  • mrsjarvis11
    mrsjarvis11 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    You can add nuts to your diet too. Almonds are a good snack!
  • lattarulol
    lattarulol Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I find plain greek yogurt and egg whites get me to my protein goals most days.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

What kind are you using

Right now we have BSN Syntha-6 because that's what my husband was using, although both of us are going to be switching to other kinds once this tub is done so we can better meet our individual goals. I also work out at night after the kids go to bed, which means there is about a 12-15 hour gap between when I have my shake and when I might be nursing again. My daughter is almost 21 months, eats table food and drinks cow's milk, so breastmilk is a very small portion of her diet. We practice baby-led weaning and she nurses now mostly for comfort before nap and bedtime, although has been indicating over the last week that she might be done completely. As your baby is much younger, you'll probably want to check with your doctor about recommendations. Just because I am comfortable with this does not mean that I would necessarily recommend it for you, especially since we are in very different places in our nursing relationships.
  • Greytfish
    Options

This is a great suggestion.

And, if you want to have something you can drink, you can make a super easy healthy shake with greek yogurt, cocoa powder (or hot cocoa mix), and coconut milk (natural sweetness).
  • DJ478
    Options

This is a great suggestion.

And, if you want to have something you can drink, you can make a super easy healthy shake with greek yogurt, cocoa powder (or hot cocoa mix), and coconut milk (natural sweetness).

I can try that would have to try a Greek yougurt with a very high protein because like I said with food in order to reach my protein goal for the day I have to often eat more then double serving and I shop so it can last atleast 1 1/2 can my macros for protein be to high ?
  • lattarulol
    lattarulol Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary. If you made an easy swap of the quaker cheddar snack (130 cal, no protein) for 1 cup of plain greek yogurt (130 cal, 23 g of protein) you would reach your protein goal without any problems. Also, I use liquid egg whites to supplement whole eggs. 1/2 cup of the egg whites has 13 g protein and only about 65 calories. This is double the protein of a hard boiled egg (with less calories). There are other swaps you could make to inch up the protein - brown rice instead of white rice, etc.

I would stay away from luna and cliff bars. They have soo much added sugar that they aren't worth it. I love Quest bars.

Why are your protein goals so high? You are aiming for 40% of your calories from protein? This is pretty high unless you are doing a bulk and lifting heavy weights.