The Truth about Coffee

Options
Hi all,

I have been overwhelemed with information as the internet and news articles as always have conflicting information. One of my goals was to cut down on my coffee/caffiene intake. I have not had a caffineted soda in a long time and that is not a problem. However I am hearing a lot about the benefits of 1-2 cups of coffee a day. I have maybe 1-2 a week as I also heard it is terrible for you. It is frustrating and confusing. Trying to have as much of clean eating as I possibly can. I see there is Green Coffee bean tablets that are proven effective (maybe) so I would think that 1 cup of coffee a day should be beneficial? Let me know and thanks,

Replies

• PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I have a cup or 2 of coffee everyday. There are many benefits to drinking coffee.

It is my one indulgence that I enjoy so I didn't cut it out when many people that I know did cut the coffee out and drink tea only.

I enjoy a nice, steaming hot cup of black coffee and even a cup of hot tea. The rest of the time I drink water.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I love coffee - but here is a little trivia for you which I always thought was opposite (someone at work toured a coffee factory and this is what he learned) Light roast coffee has more caffeine than dark roast - the longer the beans are roasted the less caffeine there is. This makes me happy as I love a dark roast coffee!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I love my coffee. I drink it every day. At home I usually just have one travel mug full (16oz) but if I'm at work where there is an unlimited amount of free coffee, I drink more.
  • smn76237
    smn76237 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/alicegwalton/2014/01/10/a-little-coffee-may-be-good-dare-we-say-healthy-for-body-and-brain/

You can pry coffee from my cold, dead, well-caffeinated hand. Good news is, lately research shows (or at least people reporting on the research; I don't have time/care enough to look a primary sources myself) that coffee is good for you!
  • BaoCat
    BaoCat Posts: 42
    Options
    Think of it this way: 1-2 cups a day may or may not have a benefit, but if you have no heath reason to NOT drink it, you're ok. There is no exact science that's going to tell you for sure that it's 100% ok or not. Erm... unless maybe you match all the criteria use in a study. Kinda unlikely.

So really it comes down to - do you want a cup of coffee? Not 'I should drink this because it may or may not be good for me, depending on who spouts what given advice at the moment.'

Me - I love my espresso. I don't do fru-fru to it or put sugar in it. I like the taste of a REALLY good shot with a touch of cream, or made into a small/strong capp. I won't drink crappy coffee.

Unless I have some health problem crop up that makes coffee a no-no, I see no reason to give it up. I enjoy the simple pleasure of it.
  • jdopke13
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the posts, not feeling so guilty anymore :) I guess I am in the phase of my new lifestyle where I struggle with guilt. Sometimes there is too much information out there. Refreshing to see I am not the only one :)
  • josstuff
    josstuff Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Coffee is good for the body, its just moderation you need to control. I personally drink coffee all day, I know its a problem, but I am quite addicted to caffeine and its hard to stop. I usually drink coffee going to work, drink coffee around snack time, and have ice coffee after working out. I drink lots of water to offset it though.
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't care as one day I'm going to die and at least it wont be from caffine withdrawal.

This coming from someone in a household where there are only two coffee drinkers yet we go through 3kg of espresso beans every 3-4 weeks
  • nosilatobs
    Options
    My life motto - a little of what you fancy does you good - and - everything in moderation!
  • StephanieMM2013
    Options
    The main bad things I hear about it are that it leaches some minerals from your body, and (along the same lines) it's very acidic. So personally I think if you do what you can to counteract the acidity and don't have symptoms of mineral deficiency/get extra minerals, it should be fine.

I love love love coffee. A friend of a friend compared the mental feeling to cocain, except it is far less dangerous for both the consumer and the people exposed to the consumer, so I think that's pretty bad *kitten* haha. I have it 1-2x a week and it makes me feel very euphoric.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    The green coffee bean stuff will do NOTHING for you.

If you want to drink coffee, go ahead.
  • Itbeginswithyourself
    Options
    I loe coffee, however refuse to drink calories anymore
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I loe coffee, however refuse to drink calories anymore

Does coffee have enough calories to keep you from drinking it, really? Isnt it like 2 per cup?

Or do you mean you fill your coffee with sugar and creamer?
  • Onderwoman
    Options
    Don't worry about coffee, all the health studies coming out now say its great anyways, as long as you don't drink more than 6 cups per day or so.

Coffee is 2.5 calories for a cup I think, essentially nothing.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I'm not really drinking coffee at the moment as I'm pregnant, but before I had an average of 3 cups a day. I still lost 67lbs. I only have it with a bit of milk, so it's not full of calories either. I do drink decaf still.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    Think of it this way: 1-2 cups a day may or may not have a benefit, but if you have no heath reason to NOT drink it, you're ok. There is no exact science that's going to tell you for sure that it's 100% ok or not. Erm... unless maybe you match all the criteria use in a study. Kinda unlikely.

So really it comes down to - do you want a cup of coffee? Not 'I should drink this because it may or may not be good for me, depending on who spouts what given advice at the moment.'
    yep. i love coffee, and drink quite a lot through out the day.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/alicegwalton/2014/01/10/a-little-coffee-may-be-good-dare-we-say-healthy-for-body-and-brain/

You can pry coffee from my cold, dead, well-caffeinated hand. Good news is, lately research shows (or at least people reporting on the research; I don't have time/care enough to look a primary sources myself) that coffee is good for you!

YES!!

I am with the prying it from my cold, dead well caffinated hands...try me...:drinker:
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    The problems seem to be fairly minor.
    The main benefit is it's stimulant properties - if this helps you achieve other health goals, I'd stick with it.

Note that there's a fair bit more caffeine in coffee than in coke zero, say.
  • kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I did a research paper in college about coffee and when it becomes bad for you. I focused on the chemical side of things as it was for a chemistry class. But in order for any of the properties to effect you negatively you would have to drink well over a gallon of coffee per day (which my professor did...he drink a whole 32 oz big gulp cup during our 1.5 hr class). Drinking in moderation isn't going to do anything other than slightly wake you up for a very short period of time. The water in the cups is really the most beneficial part of the coffee oddly enough. This was 8 years ago so maybe more info has come out since then...but that is what we found at that point.