Strength training pain hurts so much

Options
2»

Replies

• benefiting
    benefiting Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    No need to go super light just because you're new. You don't want to go really heavy until you learn proper form, but you do want to be pushing yourself.

The lightest ones do push me I believe ... I'm super weak. Lol.
  • benefiting
    Options
    The first month or so is the worst. It gets better. One thing is, don't train so hard in the beginning. Do that later. Just do the movements and get used to it. You shouldn't be loading up the weight. Let that happen later once you're into it.

I'm not loading on the weight. I'm on the lightest weight possible, if not on all the machines. I feel like it's because the trainer has me doing 3 sets of 20 squats and then another 3 sets of 20 for lunges. I'm thinking about lowering that until I get stronger to save my legs a bit.

Wow! That's quite a Training Stress Load to start out with 60 squats, and 60 lunges!!! No wonder you're in pain!!!! I would question your trainer and start in with fewer reps. I think 2 x 20 is too much for an initial session. How about 2 x 8 to start things out slowly and work your way up after a week or two of adaptation?

I can feel your pain - especially as you sit down to use the toilet. Ouch!!! Those squats and lunges tore plenty of tissue that will take a good week to repair itself before you can tear it again.

yeah that seems like an awfully high volume. sets of 10 are more realistic.

Well I don't believe she really took much interest in my fitness level I believe. She isn't my personal trainer but my gym allows you to book appointments with them to get a weights routine. I also have lower back issues and even though I told her she still insisted I do crunches which hurt my lower back (she showed me other ways to do it but they all hurt I believe)... I think I'm just going to modify the program for now. I think I'd know what's better for my body than her anyway.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    No need to go super light just because you're new. You don't want to go really heavy until you learn proper form, but you do want to be pushing yourself.

The lightest ones do push me I believe ... I'm super weak. Lol.

I didn't mean it that way, but rather I just meant in terms of total volume. For example, if you're doing 60 squats, you aren't really pushing yourself very hard on the weight. You would likely be better off doing something like 3x8 or 5x5 (lots of possibilities, but generally lower volume, higher intensity) for your squats and setting the weight accordingly. How much weight that is depends on the person and it really doesn't matter. If you're struggling to crank out 3x8 squatting 55 lbs, then 55 lbs is the proper weight for you.
  • sscrivener2013
    Options
    Hey there,

The pain will go away with time the more your muscles get used to doing the exercise. I use to avoid doing leg exercises for the reasons you mentioned, however, my legs are usually good to go the following day. Also, you may be using to heavy a weight; ideally you want to use just enough weight to put sufficient strain on the muscle to build it but not hurt yourself.

I hope this helps!

Sean
  • frood
    frood Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I agree with people saying to lower the squats/lunges reps. I don't think I could do 60 bodyweight squats in one workout and I have done weighted squats for over a year.

I do 3-5 sets of 5 reps with a 26lb kettlebell.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    The first month or so is the worst. It gets better. One thing is, don't train so hard in the beginning. Do that later. Just do the movements and get used to it. You shouldn't be loading up the weight. Let that happen later once you're into it.

I'm not loading on the weight. I'm on the lightest weight possible, if not on all the machines. I feel like it's because the trainer has me doing 3 sets of 20 squats and then another 3 sets of 20 for lunges. I'm thinking about lowering that until I get stronger to save my legs a bit.

On the first day? Your "trainer" is a f**king moron.
  • dixoncrew
    dixoncrew Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I love that feeling.......

Me too :) I groan a lot and my kids make fun of me but it is awesome knowing that I'm working those muscles.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I always get DOMS a day or two after I work my legs. I've found the best remedy is light cardio - gets the blood moving which actually promotes recovery.
  • benefiting
    Options
    I agree with people saying to lower the squats/lunges reps. I don't think I could do 60 bodyweight squats in one workout and I have done weighted squats for over a year.

I do 3-5 sets of 5 reps with a 26lb kettlebell.

Well it's settled. I'm defiantly lowering my reps. However, I use my natural body weight right now and not any extra weight.
  • benefiting
    Options

On the first day? Your "trainer" is a f**king moron.

Indeed on my first day.