10 months from no running to half marathon?

Options
Experienced runners, share your input! And anyone that has accomplished the impossible!

Replies

• dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I think this is very doable. I'd probably start training with a 5k program, then move up to a 10k program before you start training for the half marathon.
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    10 months seems really reasonable. I trained for my first half marathon in five months, but I had done some running. Not a lot, but some. I remember when I first started I found a plan that got me up to ONE mile. And that took several weeks. 10 months seems like plenty of time for any reasonably healthy person. Find a C25K you like. I think they're 9 or 10 weeks. Once you get to that point, find a beginner half marathon training program. The Hal Higdon plan is really popular.

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51131/Half-Marathon-Novice-1-Training-Program

Running is awesome. I never feel like doing it, but after you do a good run you feel awesome, and you get a real sense of accomplishment. And finishing a half makes you feel amazing. Don't worry a lot about time and such for your first even. Just train so you can run it confidently and finish the event. It's a fantastic thing to accomplish.
  • lorierin22
    lorierin22 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I did it in 12 months. I started running in Feb 2012. I didn't use C25k, but it was basically the same thing...i ran outside, so I would run to the stop sign, then walk, then run to the next landmark and then walk, etc. Soon I was up to a mile, then 2, then 3. Once I built my base of being able to run 2-3 miles a few times a week, I added in a longer run with friends. We started at 5 miles and probably worked up to about 7 or 8 miles. I just hung out there for a while and then around the end of October/beginning of November we started an actual training plan. We modified to start our long runs at 8 miles since we were already up to that in our base training and went from there. I ran my first half, the Disney Princess Half in Feb. 2013. It was awesome. I could have been more prepared, sure...but I finished! :) It can be done. Good luck!!
  • DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    In for other responses.

I think it's do-able. Beginner training plans are about 14 weeks so that's only 3.5 months. Sometimes it takes people longer to complete a training week if they can't make it through the whole run the first time. And if you are careful and follow a training plan, that should help reduce the possibility of injuries.

I am currently training for a 10K and have been running off and on since April 2013. I've run two 5Ks, the most recent being in November and I hadn't really been running since then. I started back up in January when I decided I want to run a 10K in May. I know it's going to take me the majority of that time to get ready for it as I have a very slow pace and repeat runs until I can finish them and/or they're a bit easier.
  • sarahmakeskinny
    Options
    Yeah, I've done C25k and never finished many times, because there really wasn't a goal in mind so it didn't stick. But I was thinking of starting with C25k, moving to the 10k version, and beyond. My goal for 2014 was to run a couple 5ks, but why not really go the distance!? Thinking I'll sign up for a few 5ks in the meantime, after I have finished C25k just to get a feel for race day.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    I went from a couch potato to half marathon runner in 8 months. :) it's going to take a lot of hard work and dedication, but you can do it.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    RyanDryFly did it in a few months. He's awesome. I'd suggest friending him.
  • Leigh_b
    Leigh_b Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Absolutely doable!! I did it in 3 months and am much older than you :). Check out my profile for the details :smile:
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Definitely possible. I started C25K in December 2012. Soon after took 6 weeks off due to an injury. Restarted C25K at the end of February, took two months off in July/August for another injury, and ran my first half on Thanksgiving.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    It's possible but an ambitious goal. Start training now and slowly build your distance. Keep your half marathon goal realistic with the limited experience and training time.
  • vinniesooner
    vinniesooner Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I started a couch to 1/2 program on Runkeeper on October 13th, 2013. On November 9th I ran in a 5K, and couldn't finish without walking several times. I've kept at the plan, only missing one scheduled workout in 4 months. January 30th I ran 8 miles without walking for the first time in my life. I'll be doing a 12 mile Tough Mudder May 3rd, then I plan to do my first 1/2 marathon. I'm 41, overweight, short & stocky, asthmatic, and I have bad knees. If I can do it, you can do it!
  • lorierin22
    lorierin22 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I've done C25k and never finished many times, because there really wasn't a goal in mind so it didn't stick. But I was thinking of starting with C25k, moving to the 10k version, and beyond. My goal for 2014 was to run a couple 5ks, but why not really go the distance!? Thinking I'll sign up for a few 5ks in the meantime, after I have finished C25k just to get a feel for race day.

I would definitely recommend signing up for one or two 5ks and a 10K in route to your final goal of half marathon. You really don't want your first race experience to be a half. You need to build up to it. I did several 5Ks and a 10K while training for my half.
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    It's possible if you do it; it's not possible if you don't do it. Most people don't do it, either because they never start or they get injured. I'd strongly recommend taking it slow and easy, and combining with runner-specific strength training. If you feel a small injury coming on, don't ignore it -- seek advice on how to address the injury and stick to the rehab program.
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    ok i dont reccomend this to anyone...i started running last Febuary with c25k..i ran my first half marathon in April..8 weeks after going from 0 miles for over 10+years to 13.1 in just under 3 hours.. i dont regret it but it was not a pleasent experience.. how ive managed to turn it into an addiction ill never know lol.

10 months is plenty of time to build the necessary endurance to finish a half.. just take it slow follow your plan, assess your aches and pains.. use the 10% mileage increase per week as a GUIDE (not gospel) and youll be fine.
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    ok i dont reccomend this to anyone...i started running last Febuary with c25k..i ran my first half marathon in April..8 weeks after going from 0 miles for over 10+years to 13.1 in just under 3 hours.. i dont regret it but it was not a pleasent experience..

Probably prudent no tot recommend that, but I'm impressed all the same. Wow. And I bet it wasn't a pleasant experience! All the more reason to be impressed. Great job, man.
  • DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    FYI, if you download the Zen Labs C210K App, the first 8 weeks are exactly the same as the C25K App, eliminating the need for both. :drinker: