Beginner's Workout Plan - only for "Newbies"

Options
A car that hasn't been run for a long time needs some "start up" maintenance done on it BEFORE you turn the key.

And so do our bodies! If you are wanting to begin an exercise / workout program, I encourage you to participate in these simple "start up" exercises before you rush out and sign up at a gym or go out and buy workout equipment that you don't necessarily need at this point in your journey to get fit.

These exercises (gosh I hate that word) will gauge your "fitness" level as a beginner. They target different areas of your body and different muscle groups which you will need as you move forward into a more active level of working out. When you can comfortably perform then, move on.

I know many of you have specific disabilities which may prohibit or restrict you from performing some of these simple exercises, so modify them in such a way that you are able to at least attempt to complete them. For example, cut down on the number of repetitions, the number of sets, add a grab bar for support, be creative in your thinking but do something! Soon you will see that your body is accepting these challenges and will adapt itself to your demands allowing you to move forward.

So let's get started on Week One. Are you ready?

1. Find a wall and place your hands on it. Feet slightly apart and out about 12" out from the wall. Do 10 push-outs slowly. Shake out your arms. Do another set of 10 push-outs. Shake out your arms. Do another set of 10. Shake out your arms and hop in the shower.

2. Hands on hips, rotate to the right and then to the left keeping your feet facing forward and only turning from your waist. Do 10 rotations (right and left count as one). Drop your arms and rinse the shampoo out of your hair. Do 10 more rotations. Drop your arms and rinse the conditioner out of your hair. Do 10 more rotations and get out of the shower before you run out of hot water.

3. Stand in front of your mirror and as you prepare yourself for the day, rise up on your toes and SLOWLY back down. Do this 10 times. Shake out your legs. Repeat another 10 times. Shake out your legs. Repeat another 10 times. Shake out your legs and brush your teeth. Probably gonna feel like you got leg cramps but give it time.

4. Sit down on the toilet (lid down) or find a hard chair. Stand up and sit down SLOWLY. Do this 10 times. Rest for 10 seconds. Do 10 more and rest. And do another final 10. If you need to, use a grab bar, wall, or counter for support but do NOT pull yourself up or let yourself down using the supports - make your body lift itself and SLOWLY set itself back down. This one is gonna hurt in your thighs and your knees, so be prepared.

5. Go outside taking a watch. Walk as fast as you can for 5 minutes in any direction, turnaround and go home. If you can't get outside, walk around your house.

That's it! Takes about 10 minutes at the most for the exercises and 10 minutes for you walk. You are going to do this for ONE WEEK - don't miss a day. If it hurts, you need a bit of "greasing up" to begin a more active workout program.

Check in here and let us know how it's going. And come join our group WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS.

jp

Replies

• kathy4659
    kathy4659 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    A great start to the morning anyway - thanks for posting this. Why keep jumping in and out of the shower?
  • jpilley
    jpilley Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    LOL - don't need to keep jumping in and out of the shower. So often are lives are so hectic we just can't seem to find the time to exercise, so we don't. Just wanted to illustrate that these beginning exercises can be done anytime and anywhere, in the shower, in front of the bathroom mirror, at work, etc., etc. And no equipment or membership needed. Looks so simple but I guarantee if you have not performed them before, try it and then make your comments. Often times we address certain muscle groups and forget others when we build our "workout" plan. This is just the beginning.

Week Two - Increase to 12 reps times 3 sets. Walk briskly for 10 minutes out and 10 minutes back.

Week Three - Increase to 15 reps times 3 sets. Walk briskly for 15 minutes out and 15 minutes back.

Let me know how it goes. Now get to it.
  • cmbarnard41949
    Options
    Started this yesterday! Was amazed at how easy it was to follow through and also that it was a good workout for someone as out of shape as I am. A great place to start! Thanks
  • ChaoticMiNd
    ChaoticMiNd Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Yay thanks for this!
  • Gordo1981
    Gordo1981 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    seems like a good plan to at least start getting active
  • wow29
    wow29 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    bump
  • wonderwoman325
    Options
    This looks great for any one to start their day :)
  • Live_To_Win
    Live_To_Win Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    bump
  • freddi11e
    freddi11e Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Looks like good place to start! Looks like I only waited almost a year . . Forgot I'd even been here!
  • Healthy67Chick
    Healthy67Chick Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this workout. It looks like a great place to start.