P90x/insanity asylum

Options
Hey guys. I've done a couple of rounds of insanity, now I'm doing a p90x insanity hybrid. However, I'm thinking about switching to insanity asylum/p90x instead. Does the asylum offer the same level of HIIT and cardio that the max interval insanity workouts do? Would this be a good switch?

Replies

• sfdcubfan
    sfdcubfan Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Full disclosure - I WAS formerly a Team Beachbody coach.

That said, I'm a HUGE junkie of all P90X series, and all things Insanity and up. I've been doing an Asylum hybrid (vol's 1 and 2), and mixing in some P90X3 and Body Beast.

I do more Beast if I'm working more cardio and agility, and do more of the X3 Yoga/X3 Pilates and X3 Isometrix if I'm doing more weight work in Volume 2.

Long story short, the first volume of Asylum is WICKED hard in terms of the cardio. Vertical Plyo is the toughest of all cardio workouts Shaun T has put together. I used to think Pure Cardio or Max Interval Plyo was hard, but then Asylum came into my life and nothing compares to it. The second volume still has tough cardio, but it's based more on the agility ladder and the agility footwork. It also contains a LOT more weight work - minus back, which is where Body Beast comes into play (for me, anyway).

Some weeks I opt to do the Asylum/P90X hybrid, or I do a "multi-brid" of Asylum/X3/Body Beast.

No matter what, calories burned is always a guessing game on here. I'm female, 46, vegan, 5'7", 133 lbs and I want to get back to 115 lbs by summer. My resting HR is 46, and my BP has dropped to 80/50. I average about 190 when I do most Asylum workouts, but recovery goes by much faster now that I'm conditioned to do it. I got a lot more ripped doing Asylum, but my appetite skyrocketed. Now I'm on here, trying to get the consumption under control.

I highly recommend both volumes if you can afford it. If you don't have a TBB coach, I can connect you to a really good one in Canada. And if you want to make the investment, P90X2 is excellent when you're finished with Asylum (which might take a while). Asylum's programs are only 30 days because the workouts are quite punishing on the body. But if you enjoy them, stay within your skill level and follow the schedule(s), you should be ok to extend the workouts to a longer period of time. The key with Asylum is that you will never master the workouts. And with X2 being a performance based version of the original, Asylum is a fabulous way to condition your body for many of the workouts because you will learn control very quickly.
  • mattymatt
    Options
    Whereas Insanity is an all out cardio free for all, at times, Asylum seems to refine it. I agree with sfdcubfan, Asylum is nooooo step backwards- haha
  • CALake
    CALake Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Personally I liked asylum better than the original insanity. It seemed more athlete-focused than insanity. And I agree with the previous 2 posts- it was HARD!!! (in the best way, of course!)