What is a reasonable weight loss goal per month?

Options
I recently started my weight loss journey. I weighed in on Sunday at 160lbs and weighed in today at 158lbs. I'm happy that my cutting down on sugary drinks, portion control, and new exercise routine is already taking effect.

From a few years back, I noticed that I always overestimate the amount of weight I could possibly lose in a timeframe, and when I don't meet this goal, I ended up just giving up and feeling disappointed.

So, I'm asking as a 5'5'' female now at 158lbs, what is a good goal for a month? 10lbs? 12lbs?

Replies

• lucylousmummy
    lucylousmummy Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    i'd aim more for between 2lbs and 8lbs max, any higher and your setting yourself up for disappointment, you may lose more than that at the start, but after the first few weeks it will slow down
    good luck x
  • BreeJaxon
    Options
    1 to 2 lbs a week a good weight loss to track!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal
  • kelseymaccombs
    kelseymaccombs Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    2 pounds per week is the "healthy maximum" I hear. When you have less to lose, it comes off more slowly. I aim for 1 pound a week, and usually hit that. In the beginning I was losing 2 or more each week, but that slowed very quickly.

I'm at 160, 5'5" right now, and I use TDEE-20% (I eat about 1450 calories a day, and eat back some of my exercise calories).

I would set your goal at 5-8 pounds a month, but don't be disappointed if it's closer to 5 than 8.
  • piercedee
    piercedee Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    If you set your self up for 0.5-1 lb per week and exceed it awesome, but if you meet it it is still good. This is what I do since like you I would get disappointed when i wouldn't lose that 2lb/week I was aiming for so this way if I meet it then I am happy and if I get more that is awesome!
  • Citrislazer
    Citrislazer Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    1 to 2lbs per a week is considered reasonable, healthy and sustainable weight loss from healthy diet and exercise. That's 4 to 8lbs a month. Like lucy mentioned anything over that and you're likely setting yourself up for disappointment. Be happy with even a half a pound loss per a week. We all have good days and bad days or months! What's important is to keep trying and keep learning. Don't beat yourself up about a bad day or month. Just get back at it. You'll get there.

I'm also 5' 5", but with more weight to lose right now. Feel free to friend me, if you want some extra support and encouragement. :-)
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    most dieticians and/or weight loss programs will tell you that 0-2 pounds a week is the appropriate target. So - anything up to about 8 pounds, possibly.