Home Weight Training?

Options
I could fit the amount of knowledge I have about fitness on a napkin, so I am sorry for any silly questions!

I have nearly reached my target weight; about 3/4lbs to go (which is nothing compared to 17lbs ago). And I want to tone up a little. At the minute I do 45 minutes of pilates a day (for anyone who's familiar with BlogilatesTV, I use those videos), with the occasional HIIT workout, or 30 Day Shred workout (maybe 3 times a week?)

I've heard sooo many conflicting arguments for and against pilates being a form of strength training. But in any case, I'd like to start lifting. I can't afford a gym membership (student) BUT I do have weights. So can anyone recommend me a good home workout for a beginner?
Thank you!

Replies

• hearthemelody
    hearthemelody Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I'm beginning Phase 3 of New Rules of Lifting for Women today. I work out from home and have successfully completed the first 2 phases with a set of adjustable weight dumbbells, a balance ball, a step and a cable system (though you could get a set of bands for the moves that require the cable setup). Some people say that the NROLFW program gets "unnecessarily complicated" as you go through it but I don't really agree. I look the moves up on Youtube and I have managed to do all of them very well.. and I enjoy the change every 8 weeks. I think doing the same 5 moves over and over again would get rather boring.

Good luck!
  • dixoncrew
    dixoncrew Posts: 186 Member
    Options

Ditto. I bought my weights and my bench off of Craigslist and set it up in my shed. It is freaking frigid out there but I refuse to pay for a gym membership :)
  • paigenevaeh
    paigenevaeh Posts: 64 Member
    Options

Oh wow, that is a lot of info! Thank you so much, I will be having a good read through
  • paigenevaeh
    paigenevaeh Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm beginning Phase 3 of New Rules of Lifting for Women today. I work out from home and have successfully completed the first 2 phases with a set of adjustable weight dumbbells, a balance ball, a step and a cable system (though you could get a set of bands for the moves that require the cable setup). Some people say that the NROLFW program gets "unnecessarily complicated" as you go through it but I don't really agree. I look the moves up on Youtube and I have managed to do all of them very well.. and I enjoy the change every 8 weeks. I think doing the same 5 moves over and over again would get rather boring.

Good luck!

Thank you! How many phases does it have/how long do you workout for? I was having a look at NROLFW earlier.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options

I have nearly reached my target weight; about 3/4lbs to go (which is nothing compared to 17lbs ago).

Hey - congratulations on reaching your goal. Way to go!!!

You can actually do quite a good workout with some hand held weights. I lived in an apartment overseas for years and didn't have room for a bench or many things in the apartment (did have a treadmill). I did have some hand held weights and did complete a circuit of everything I needed to using the hand weights and my body weight only to stay in good shape.

No need for a gym! I think my regular circuit of 15-17 exercises came from a pamphlet that was with my weight lifting gloves (German company). It's cheap and easy and absolutely no need for a gym membership. I had the type of dumbells you could add various plates to so I had the option of bar only, 10 pounds, 15, 20, 25, 30, and 35. Now I have more up to 50 pounders in my basement gym since I have a house and the room for quite a bit of stuff that I have acquired over the years.

Some examples...

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2013/08/01/dont-be-a-dummy-how-to-get-a-full-workout-with-only-dumbells/

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/rudy6.htm

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/dumbbell-only-home-or-gym-fullbody-workout.html

Once you get more space, you can easily have your own gym at home for not much money (and all that money you save on gym memberships can go to something else).

All the best in your lifting..

Although I do have a bench, squat rack, leg extensions, etc... - I still do my regular dumbell circuit that works everything. So cheap and easy. And effective.

Have fun and start slow (fewer reps and lighter weights). If you need heavier handheld weights once you progress, they are about a buck a pound and you can just buy more once you earn the new weight.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options

Good luck!

Thank you! How many phases does it have/how long do you workout for? I was having a look at NROLFW earlier.

There are 6 phases in all... the workouts get a little longer as you go through because (presumably) your stamina and strength is getting a little better and you can handle a longer workout (but your reps go down so I think it about evens out) The first phase is only 5 moves... that took me about 15min to complete. The 2nd phase was 7 moves and took me about 25min (depending on how I was feeling that day). You do the workout 3x/week with alternating workouts each day (so you do Workout A day one, Workout B day three, Workout A day five) The first phase took me about 8 weeks to complete... (this one is longer than the following phases to get you started)... then you do the phase for 4 weeks thereafter. I was at a plateau when I started and have lost consistently since I began in Nov.