Workout when your sick?

Options
I have a head cold that is trying to destroy me. I've heard different things about working through sickness. Anyone have any opinions?

Replies

• SweeDecadence92
    SweeDecadence92 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    If it's just a head cold and you have no symptoms below the neck (e.g coughing, joint issues etc) then hop to it! Just take it easy and look after yourself.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    1) don't go to the gym and get everyone else there sick.

2) If it's just a head cold and you feel up to I've read that a LIGHT workout will help your immune system.

So maybe go for a walk, but not so fast that you;re breathing heavy
  • shmulyeng
    shmulyeng Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I pushed myself through two days of sickness early in my journey.

I gotta say that going through that encouraged me to get on that treadmill many times when I was not in the mood. I missed two days since then (57 days).
  • Jumjutikawex
    Options
    Hi there, I am brand new just getting used to this site and came across. I'm just getting done with a cold myself and pushed myself through the days. I didn't have a very bad cough with it though. The congestion was the worst with a head ache, I told myself I'd go jog outside for a little bit and very quickly my nose was clear. It felt nice having clear airways updoors. Today my nose was still stuffy but not as sick and after my jog, sorry for the tmi, but loads and loads of snot came out of my sinuses so easily which was causing my head aches. I swear I blew my nose for five minutes before it was just stuck. I think it actually helped me get over that part of it faster by helping clear it out. Also the little bit of cough that I had cleared up pretty fast too. Yeah it's good motivation to remember these sick days and use it not to quit on those days with full health, looking forward to working out without a stuffy nose!
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Go to the gym. Workout, but do not push yourself too hard. Drink water.

Ps: You're.
  • plumsparkle
    plumsparkle Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Ive always heard if its above your neck, work out lightly, if its below your neck, rest!!

:smile:
  • Synamin
    Synamin Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have a head cold that is trying to destroy me. I've heard different things about working through sickness. Anyone have any opinions?

Your body is trying to fix itself. Don't make it harder than it has to be. Drink extra fluids and wait a day or two.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You should be fine to workout but just remember you will probably not be at your 100%. Make sure you have a few tissues with you, working out makes your nose run worse :( Never work out if you are running a fever.
  • LiveLoveLift67
    LiveLoveLift67 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I have heard that if its above the neck keep working out,,,if its below ( chest) rest. The Dr even told me i could workout when i had a bad sinus infection and thats what i did.

Up to you really how it makes you feel.
  • Leah_Alexis
    Leah_Alexis Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    With a head cold I always work out. It really does help! If it's a stomach bug I do not workout.
  • gingercurves
    gingercurves Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Personally, I always feel better if I work out when I'm sick or trying to get over a cold. It is tough finding the motivation to go to the gym and tough it out but it feels so good after. I had a bad cold all last week and went to the gym. I did nearly 45 mins of weight training then an hour of cardio, and I sweated like crazy and felt like I was dying.. but then I got home and had a hot shower and laid down for a nap after burning off all that and I felt great this morning. It sounds kind of crazy but I feel like I really sweat the sick out :P
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    My husband usually still works out when he's sick. He thinks it helps push the sickness through and feels like he feels better. Tired, but better.

I don't. I want to get rest and get better.

Whatever works for you. :)