How to start running?

Options
Sorry for the ridiculous title... But honestly, how did you start running? Did you walk, run, walk, run? Did you run a little bit and then stop, gradually running longer and longer each day? Did you start on a tread-mill then work your way outside? Does running a tread-mill differ completely from running outside?

How do you deal with "side stitches"? Do you think it's better to push through the pain or stop?

Replies

• ofccat
    ofccat Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5K program! I personally liked this free one: http://runningintoshape.com. When I started. I've go in to 1/2+ marathons but this is a great starting point.
  • bnsnwldwmn
    Options
    You can also use the Run Your Butt Off program.
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    I tried the couch to 5k and really enjoyed that one.
    Slow and steady wins the race! :smile:
  • jeneferphillips89
    Options
    I'm really just beginning with my running but I do 5 Minute increments of walking and running. I started with 2 minutes of walking and then 2. Minutes of running/jogging after a 5 Minute warm up. I've heard wonderful things about C25K but wanted to build up some minimal endurance before beginning. The hardest part for me was pushing past my legs screaming and begging for me to stop. GooD luck :-) I hope this helps a little
  • ibleedunionblue
    ibleedunionblue Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I started with 100 meters on a track, than walked the round part of track & repeat. Took me 1 week to get 1 mile. Now I've ran a couple marathons.
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I started ona track as well. Doing walk/run intervals. I also downloaded the Couch to 5K App. Start slow.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    I didn't use any program, had a friend "run" with me. This mean she did her regular running workout then accompanied me as I would jog slowly until I was out of breath and my heart was pounding (about 100 yards), then would walk with me until I could do it again. We did several joint "running" session around my block (1.3 miles), until I was able to not be self conscious enough to go by myself. It took me an entire month before I could run the entire distance (well, jog slowly).

I am much better now-->can run 4 miles without difficulty. Just need a bathroom break before I go out again :-|
  • gem_girl15
    gem_girl15 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    When I first started I warm up walked for 15 min at the speed of 3.0 then jog for 15 min at the speed of 4.5 then cooled down for 15 at the speed of 3.0 and now I do the same but run for 30 min and upped my speed to 5.2 ... I burn 400 calories on 30 min running and 75 calories on 30 min walking on the trendmill
  • f1redshoes
    Options
    I tried a Couch To 5k thing and hated it, so I tried again with Zombies 5k and the storyline helped me stick to it for a few weeks, then I was injured (not related to running). I finally went back to it with the full Zombies, Run game app. The storyline dictates that you're being chased or need to move quickly or whatever, so I started with running those parts and walking the rest until I got a bit better and was able to run more of it. You can also switch on "zombie chases" to be "chased" at random intervals, if you want the bonus of surprise sprints!